Apple unveils iOS 8 with interactive notifications, QuickType keyboard, group text enhancements

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    bdj1bdj1 Posts: 13member
    Siri still blacking out entire page, so you can read what's on the screen into siri to search or navigate. ios6 siri was useful.

Still requiring all your pages to be blurred into translucency hell. And now your computer will be a big flashlight with absolutely no detail.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,487member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The '172 patent you mention, and particularly claim 8 which is the one asserted against Samsung, is under review with the USPTO signaling serious doubts as to it's validity. That's going to take some time to sort out tho.

Lies. Just because a patent is under review doesn't mean there are "serious doubts as to its validity". Why do you insist on making a statement that's an outright LIE? That makes you a liar.

• Reply 43 of 57
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    Nope. Try again. That’s not what Apple implemented. They have CONTEXTUAL suggestions and PER-PERSON suggestions.

Those are CONTEXTUAL suggestions. Not sure if the keyboard makes suggestions PER-PERSON but personalized suggestions certainly implies that the keyboard can make suggestions at that level.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member
    chipsy wrote: »
    I'm just acknowledging that these are already available on other platforms. I have no problem with Apple implementing them, if anything some of them were long overdue (f.e. interactive notifications).

I'm holding a Nexus 5 in my hand right now and using it to post this. Tell me right now how I can reply to an SMS right from the notification, to prove you're not a liar. And don't mention 3rd party apps-you and others here are stating these are CORE features of android- so tell me how the **** I do that if that's the case.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Those are CONTEXTUAL suggestions.

Nope. They are suggestions based on the words being typed, NOT the messages being written or the replies being received, much less the people being spoken with.

• Reply 46 of 57
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,149member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Google Predictive Text Keyboard is available to all Android users on 2.3 and later. Introduced in 2012.

Android Expandable Notifications were introduced with Android 4.1. Also in 2012.

"Okay, Google" is about a year old and available to all Google Now users (4.1 and up)

iCloud drive is clearly an attempt to duplicate Google Drive from the very beginning of Android.

Did the App store really not have subcategories???? It's 2014 that must be a joke.

FYI Android 4.1 or above is on 71% of Android devices, which is somewhat substantial. I don't know anyone earlier than 4.2

Did Google predictive text create your username?

• Reply 47 of 57
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

SUBCATEGORIES OF

SUBCATEGORIES OF

SUBCATEGORIES OF 

SUBCATEGORIES

YEEESSSSS YESSSSSSSS YEEEEEEEEEES

I’m actually going to use the App Stores now!

Yes - I'm pleased too!

• Reply 48 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Did I understand correctly that I'll be able to send and receive standard SMS text messages from my Mac? If so, WOOHOO! I hate typing on the tiny little iPhone keyboard when I have a Mac sitting right next to me! That's one of the features I've always really liked about OS X Messages and wished I could use with contacts who don't have Apple devices.

SMS will not be sent or received from your Mac. That requires a device with a cellular connection as that communication happens over your mobile provider's carrier signal. What it looks to do is have the iPhone aware that an SMS has arrived, then forward it to iMessage (over IP) that will have some sort of tagging so your other devices know this originally came via SMS so the conversation and transmission can remain intact.

Well yes, strictly speaking, but if you have an iPhone to hand, then you can effectively text to and from your Mac. But no iPhone, no texting from Mac.

• Reply 49 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,382member
    Lies. Just because a patent is under review doesn't mean there are "serious doubts as to its validity". Why do you insist on making a statement that's an outright LIE? That makes you a liar.
    You're free and easy with calling other posters liars and not the first time you've stooped to character attacks either. I won't respond in kind..:rolleyes: Here's your evidence of "substantial new questions on patentability" and specifically referencing claim 8 (the supposed infringed claim) sir.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/218949626/14-01-13-Apple-172-Autocomplete-Reexamination-Decision
  • Reply 50 of 57
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member

Come on mate, let's try and keep it civil.
    You don't have to agree with the guy but you need to tone it down a bit.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm holding a Nexus 5 in my hand right now and using it to post this. Tell me right now how I can reply to an SMS right from the notification, to prove you're not a liar. And don't mention 3rd party apps-you and others here are stating these are CORE features of android- so tell me how the **** I do that if that's the case.

You have a point Android doesn't have a specific implementation by default to directly respond to a SMS message from the notification bar (no idea why though :s). But are you honestly really denying the fact that other OS's have actionable notifications? The idea isn't new, but Apple implementing it is certainly a welcome addition.

• Reply 52 of 57

System requirements?  Supported on which models?  System requirements?  Supported on which models? System requirements?  Supported on which models? System requirements?  Supported on which models? System requirements?  Supported on which models? System requirements?  Supported on which models?  Hello AppleInsider???

• Reply 53 of 57
    I have a developer account and can register your UDID for $10 on my account so you can install iOS 8. Send me an email to [email protected] and I'll give you more information.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark7 View Post

System requirements?  Supported on which models?  System requirements?  Supported on which models? System requirements?  Supported on which models? System requirements?  Supported on which models? System requirements?  Supported on which models? System requirements?  Supported on which models?  Hello AppleInsider???

It took me two clicks from your post to find out:

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/

Scroll to the bottom. For you it will be only one click.

• Reply 55 of 57
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

SUBCATEGORIES OF

SUBCATEGORIES OF

SUBCATEGORIES OF 

SUBCATEGORIES

I always imagined you screaming 'sub-categories of sub-categories of sub-categories' like 'developers! developers! developers!'.

When they got to that part of the keynote, I immediately thought to myself that you'd be one happy camper!!

• Reply 56 of 57
    I figured iWatch would need to be introduced at WWDC, because it would need apps, and therefore SDKs and stuff, and developers would need to know. So, no iWatch at WWDC would mean no iWatch this year.

But.

What if iWatch is notification center on your wrist?

Developers can start using the new 'Extensions' to get their apps stuff into notification center, then when/if iWatch comes the apps will already exist.
  • Reply 57 of 57

[SIZE=48px]SUBCATEGORIES OF[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=48px] SUBCATEGORIES OF[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=48px] SUBCATEGORIES OF [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=48px]SUBCATEGORIES[/SIZE]

I always imagined you screaming 'sub-categories of sub-categories of sub-categories' like 'developers! developers! developers!'.

When they got to that part of the keynote, I immediately thought to myself that you'd be one happy camper!!

Nice post.