European Commission to investigate Apple's Ireland tax haven - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

According to whose morals?

Everyone who wants to have an opinion on it?  What sort of question is that?

• Reply 62 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

What sort of answer is that?

• Reply 63 of 78
    One not directed at you.

• Reply 64 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Yes, with you, and your comprehension of the situation.

It’s not a question of “letting” it happen. There will be no stopping it. Greece and Spain have fallen. If Italy falls, Germany and France won’t be ABLE to stop it.

France can't stop anything.
    crowley wrote: »
    What sort of answer is that? :)

Not everyone has the same morals. That's why we have laws. It's perfectly legal for Apple and others to avoid taxes this way.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    greatrix wrote: »
    It could become a problem for such companies in the UK. A well known coffee chain recently had to give in over this in response to public opinion, once their tax evasion 'scam' was given publicity in the press. As 'gimarbazat' says, it's not as if Apple is short of cash.

It's blackmail and Apple should tell the EU to FOAD.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

The EU is not after Apple. It's all explained in the other thread.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/180559/european-union-announces-tax-evasion-investigations-of-apple-fiat-starbucks#post_2548839
  • Reply 67 of 78
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s not a question of “letting” it happen. There will be no stopping it. Greece and Spain have fallen. If Italy falls, Germany and France won’t be ABLE to stop it.

This is what I thought also but the European reality has been proved much more complex.

• Reply 68 of 78
    The case being referred to was not blackmail by the government, it was pressure from a public backlash that threatened sales. If a similar backlash were to raise against Apple then they could tell the buying public to FOAD if they want, but I doubt it'd work out well for them.
  • Reply 69 of 78
    jungmark wrote: »
    Not everyone has the same morals. That's why we have laws. It's perfectly legal for Apple and others to avoid taxes this way.
    No one claimed otherwise, and the post you quoted explicitly said the exact same thing about legality, which is why it was a redundant question.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

One not directed at you.

Good for you. Maybe you shouldn’t have posted it publicly, then.

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

France can't stop anything.

You know, I’ve heard that. Germany seems to be pulling the dead weight of the entire Eurozone behind them. How much longer will they put up with that?

• Reply 71 of 78

If the commission is just looking to get in on Apple's cash then the right thing to do is to legislate, not try to rob them after they followed the laws that had been set up.  If you expect corporations to not seek the setup with the lowest tax burden then you operate under a world view that is strange to me.

I still have never been able to understand why some people think it's ok to look at a successful person or business and think to themselves, "I deserve the reward for their work, simply because I have less than they do."  Wanting it is envy.  Thinking you deserve it is a breakdown of some mental faculty.

• Reply 72 of 78
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    If the commission is just looking to get in on Apple's cash then the right thing to do is to legislate, not try to rob them after they followed the laws that had been set up.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/180547/european-commission-to-investigate-apples-ireland-tax-haven-report/40#post_2549051
  • Reply 73 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by greatrix View Post

it's not as if Apple is short of cash.

if someone has 'enough' then it's ok to take it from them by force?

• Reply 74 of 78
    Good for you. Maybe you shouldn’t have posted it publicly, then.
    Why not? It hasn't brought me any harm. I'm not offended by you answering me with your usual snide and clueless condescension, I just have no interest in engaging with you.

Toodles!
  • Reply 75 of 78
    The problem for the EU is that if these companies like Starbucks continue to be allowed to trade, the whole tax regime folds.

They need to get serious. Interestingly, because of the large scale tax evasion a good percentage of the UK population rightly boycott Starbucks. The reason being that Starbucks undermines the UK economy.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    greatrixgreatrix Posts: 95member

It is the duty of all citizens, businesses and corporations to pay their taxes. See eBeliefSystem's comment, above. Also, could those childish commentator's making inane, rude even, remarks, please desist, it doesn't reflect well on them and annoys everyone else.

• Reply 77 of 78
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    greatrix wrote: »
    It is the duty of all citizens, businesses and corporations to pay their taxes. See eBeliefSystem's comment, above. Also, could those childish commentator's making inane, rude even, remarks, please desist, it doesn't reflect well on them and annoys everyone else.

Depends on which special interest has pushed through their tax increase or exemption, doesn't it?
  • Reply 78 of 78

Here is an ABC of the situation.

The special interests concerned in this case are the US treasury, The Irish and British Governments and Apple, an incredibly rich, highly sophisticated  knowledge based company that operates in all three countries.

Each of those countries, for better or worse, have their own tax laws. Apple is not alone amongst large trading companies in seeking to find ways of avoiding paying taxes in the countries it operates in, largely through loop holes in the taxation laws of those countries. The bigger the company, the more they can spend on lawyers in order to avoid paying tax. Little people like me and, I assume, you, do not have that facility. It is us, the little people, who have to pay taxes through the nose for public services, pensions, the military and police, etc. out of our own pockets. Don't get me wrong, Apple products are all over my desk. They are great products, but that does not mean that Apple et al

should be able to get away with avoiding paying their dues.

OK?