Apple could sway 35% of Android & Windows Phone buyers with bigger iPhone, survey finds

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

I haven't had to pay for my iPhone since my initial iPhone I just sell my old one on eBay for more than what I paid for it on 2 yr contract.

I put a case on it from day one and sell it with the original headphones.

You know you're paying more than full unlocked retail for all of these phones by subsidizing your own purchase, right? I'll give you the resale value, but you're netting $400+ per phone because of your contract. There is no such thing as a $200 iPhone from a carrier.

Do the math on my $30/month unlimited 4G data plan with a $300 unlocked phone compared to whatever plan you're rocking, and tell me how much that iPhone costs.

• Reply 42 of 70
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I find the chart “What prevents you from purchasing an Apple iPhone” odd. 35% list app selection as a negative when the app store has more high quality, exclusive apps, when surveys constantly show Android users not spending money on apps. 

• Reply 43 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

According to that definition, practically everybody on the internet is a bigot.

There you go judging again. Bigoted against bigots? Where does it end????

;)

• Reply 44 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I find the chart “What prevents you from purchasing an Apple iPhone” odd. 35% list app selection as a negative when the app store has more high quality, exclusive apps, when surveys constantly show Android users not spending money on apps. 

I've said it before, but the majority of the apps I frequently use are available on all major platforms: Netflix, Chrome, Youtube, Facebook, Waze, Maps, Strava, MapMyRide, Square Register, etc. For these apps, there's no difference, at all, if I'm using my wife's iPhone or my N4.

Then there are the apps like Tasker, Chrome to Phone, Chrome Remote Desktop, etc., that make my phone much more useful, that are not available on the iTunes App Store.

• Reply 45 of 70

Such unnecessary anger sometimes around here.

• Reply 46 of 70
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

If Apple does offer a larger screen, I hope they price it identically to the smaller screen models, if the other specs match. 

Not a chance.  Apple should focus on maximizing profits.  Pricing the 6 to lure in a small handful of Android users is absolute peanuts compared to the fortune waiting from the throng of Apple fans that are clamoring to finally enjoy a larger screen.  Apple is already reputedly looking at $100 premium, but I think they could go even higher.  Apple fans aren't going to switch.  They could charge $200 more for it and Apple fans would likely still flock to it in order to get both the bigger screen and continue to enjoy iOS.

• Reply 47 of 70
    venomxxrvenomxxr Posts: 22member

A larger screen was one of the reasons I abstained from an iPhone until the 5 came out. I don't want a phablet, but 4.7" should be nearly perfect (coupled with smaller bezels overall and a thinner design). 

As for this graph, take it with a grain of salt. Surveys are extremely limited. If Apple releases a 4.7" and 5.5" iPhone around the end of September, I'd say Q1 2015 should hover around 64 million iPhones sold. 

• Reply 48 of 70
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

iPhone "Thermonuclear" Edition?

• Reply 49 of 70
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Slow and over the plate?

iPhones cost nearly twice as much as a Nexus phone, and offer nothing more for many users. My 12-year-old was given the option to have any smartphone he wanted for his first phone, he chose a Nexus 5, and he's been using various iPod touch versions for years. He pays for the devices himself, and is very good at saving money. He used my Nexus 4 a bunch on trips to compare to his iOS 7 Touch, and very much preferred the open customization possibilities, screen, keyboard, Google Now integration, voice integration, wifi hotspot hosting, etc.

That said, I would not recommend an Android phone to my wife. They are more hands-on, and she is not as technically driven, so an iPhone is a better choice for her. I think this is true across the board -- most of my highly technical friends prefer Android and Windows Phone, and my non-tech friends prefer iPhone.

That's a generalization, but does highlight that some like one, and some like another, and you can throw poop at the wall all you want about it.
    Customization is plenty on IOS, screen is great on an iPhone, and better then both a nexus and iPod. Size is a problem to some but there is also the other side which will ditch apple if they go phablet, google now is something that apple has alternatives too, voice intergration is in IOS; called Siri. Wifi hotspots is in IOS, keep in mind a iPod 5 is equvalent to an iPhone 4S, so upgrading to an iPhone 5S would show it is better performance.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mostcallmerob View Post

You just profiled an obese woman as being poor, ignorant, and welfare all over what type of phone she was using?

Lastly, being an iPhone user that is presumably not "poor" what are you doing on the bus?

I profile people all of the time, and I believe that most people do, even if they wont admit to it.

I have a lot of experience in profiling, and my judgement of that lady wasn't just based on the Android phone that she was using. I take a lot of factors into account when judging somebody. In this case, I judged her based on her vocabulary, her attitude, her clothes, the clothes that her children were wearing and the general behavior of everybody involved. I also happen to have a good knowledge of current statistics and I am well aware that welfare and food stamp usage is through the roof, so I would venture to guess that my profiling was spot on.

As for me taking the bus, I take the bus sometimes and the subway too. I live in a big city and I don't even own a car. I've never claimed to be rich, but you will never see me with any Android phone, no matter how poor I might become.

As for obnoxious people talking on an iPhone, sure, those exist too. I don't deny that.

• Reply 51 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Customization is plenty on IOS, screen is great on an iPhone, and better then both a nexus and iPod. Size is a problem to some but there is also the other side which will ditch apple if they go phablet, google now is something that apple has alternatives too, voice intergration is in IOS; called Siri. Wifi hotspots is in IOS, keep in mind a iPod 5 is equvalent to an iPhone 4S, so upgrading to an iPhone 5S would show it is better performance.

I get that iOS has that stuff, and I've used most of it on my wife's iPhone. I'm saying that many people prefer the Android/Nexus implementation of those similar features/apps. A screen being "better" is subjective at the end of the day, so don't be surprised that different people will take a small tradeoff for a much larger screen.

Other stuff just isn't available, like Chrome to Phone and Chrome Remote Desktop are very well done on Android, and not available yet on iOS (it's just a matter of time though).

Tasker is in a league of its own though, unless something was recently introduced on iOS -- which I thought was not even possible without a cracked phone.

• Reply 52 of 70
    lloydbm4lloydbm4 Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

I would probably say the percentage of people Apple will convert to iPhone from Android with the larger device will be MUCH higher than 35%.

Most people I talk to who were foolish enough to go with a large Android phone say they did so either because of the fact it was free (or heavily discounted) on contract, or because of the screen size.

While the new iPhone's won't change the minds of the cheapo's out there, those who went for size will all come clamouring back!

The cheapo's? You mean like those that get a free iPhone on contract, just like they get a free Android on contract? Those cheapo's?

And most people I talk to that leave the walled garden of tiny iphones are amazed at the things that an iPhone couldn't do compared to Android. They then realize how foolish they have been to listen to the Apple propogandists over the years.  

Will the percentage of converts be higher or lower than 35%? Don't know. But I will be buying an iPhone for the first time in 3 years. Part of it has to do with the larger screen, but it has more to do with parity on feature sets with Android. Finally!

Oh yeah, and I can't wait for the 'troll' comments. Anyone that doesn't have their head shoved up Apple's ass and a differing viewpoint gets labeled with 'troll' and some sort of negative comment about them or their family. It's one reason why I love this place. Makes me laugh.

• Reply 53 of 70
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

If people want to continue being cheap, then let them, and they can stay with Android, as it's their breeding grounds.

In the US most consumers go with a 2 year contract so the price of the phone really isn't an issue. A high end Android phone is going to cost 199.00 the same as an iPhone with a 2 year contract. Based on what I have read on this forum that isn't the case in many countries so I guess cost is an issue when contracts have not worked out well or people in other countries do not want contracts. 

Also the cost of the phone is just the start getting ripped off on data rates is what really costs consumers. 

• Reply 54 of 70
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Again, enjoy your unusable 5.5” piece of garbage. There’s only mockery for people who pretend something that large can fit the bill.

I’ll thank you to stop the other lies, though.

Can't understand why phones are getting larger. Before I started using an iPhone I used the first HTC EVO that came out. People acted as if I was using an iPad mini because it was a good bit bigger than the iPhone. Now the 4.7 inch iPhone is going to be bigger than the 4.3 inch EVO I gave up because of it's size. 

We are getting to the point whee one hand operation is going to be impossible. 

• Reply 55 of 70
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VenomXXR View Post

A larger screen was one of the reasons I abstained from an iPhone until the 5 came out. I don't want a phablet, but 4.7" should be nearly perfect (coupled with smaller bezels overall and a thinner design).

And I initially wondered why the Galaxy S5 was buy-one-get-one-free in the US one month after its introduction! Samsung knew the larger display iPhones were on their way and wanted to lock up as many customers as possible.

If 35% of Android buyers are poached, that is really significant. As SJ has said:

"BOOM!"

• Reply 56 of 70
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I have been making that assertion for years here and certain members (usually ones with more than 2,000 posts) shouted me down and told me I was insane and a few other choice words. Nice to have actual data now to show how right I was.

I hate to say it but I see a report like this before the new iPhone comes out. I find the results are never as the report finds. What consumers say and what they do are two different things. Nearly unrelated it would seem at times.

More or less.

Apple needs one small model for those who want small gadgets , and one size for people who are larger and want a larger device. Really Apple should have something like

iPhone(3.5,4.7) - iPod(3.5/4.7), iPad (7", 10")

With the iPod model simply being last years iPhone model minus the mobile phone radio/ability to make phone calls, like the iPad. At least Apple is less confusing than Samsung whom I haven't a bloody clue what they are selling or what the difference is by brand name. Note that the 3.5 and 4.7 screen sizes are the same size as the screens used on Nintendo's 3DS and 3DS XL, and those products are being sold for 170$/200$. I really do not like the idea of carrying a heavy phone around. The regular 3DS is bulky enough, I can't seriously imagine carrying anything larger around.

Which is why, in reference to this article, does anyone think that someone's buying habits are dictated by surveys? The average person doesn't really care that much. Incentive survey takers are more than happy to answer questions with a bias to products if they think it will improve their chances of getting one. So without knowing how the questions were arranged, we can only assume the question is exactly what is on the survey which is
    "What prevents you from purchasing an Apple iPhone" and "If Apple offered a larger screen size, would you consider an Apple product"
    Note that "screen size is "12%" and the second question is loaded in without indicating which product. So without the context, eg "Would you switch from your existing phone to a new Apple iPhone..." or simply as stated. If as stated that means it includes people who already have an iPhone, as well as people who don't have a smartphone, which the more interesting number is the No side. To me means 35% of people would NOT buy an Apple iPhone if it was available in a larger size, regardless of what device they have.

Apple could always offer two sizes, because people do have affinity to smaller/larger devices and the size of the device is often a more important purchasing decision (can I put in my pockets) because that means too large of a device would get in the way. It may be cool, but if it has to carried around like 90's Motorola flip phones, it's not terribly useful.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I think it is more data than you have which is to keep repeating a larger iPhone is unusable. Everyone knows all the crap you have been saying about larger iPhones so we will sure see who was right very soon once it goes on sale. So keep rocking with that antique 1st gen iPhone of yours which is less capable than even throw away $50 Android phones at this point and telling youngin's to get off your Mom's lawn since you live with her don't you? It must kill you to think you know Apple so well and they keep failing to heed your sage advice. Bless your heart.

Amen

Of course they may be against a bigger iPhone because they know it will be a big success and are secretly Android supporters - the Manchurian FanBoy. /s

I think the larger iPhone will be a big success because of the size and the new flexibility added into IOS 8 that implements android features.

I can't wait to get a 5.5 iPhone because I use a Moto X (I also have a iPhone 4) for reading the web a lot, but also think it would be smart for them to re-introduce the 4" premium model for the 6S.

• Reply 58 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

And most people I talk to that leave the walled garden of tiny iphones are amazed at the things that an iPhone couldn't do compared to Android. They then realize how foolish they have been to listen to the Apple propogandists over the years.  

People who listen to "propogandists" and then decide to buy a phone are foolish.

If you switch from iPhone to Android and are happy, then good for you.

If you switch from Android to an iPhone and are happy, then, again, good for you.

But for God's sake, do your own research before you buy. And I don't mean you in particular. I am talking about the people who are listening to "the Apple propogandists".

I am invested in the Apple ecosystem and it is great. With things like Hand Off and Family Sharing, coupled with iWork (across the board), it is just getting better IMO.

I don't know if the features are available in Android, or how important these features are to others, but if I ever feel a reason to switch, I would research first.

• Reply 59 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,394moderator
    Groan.

Another Statistics 101-challenged post..... if you're interested, here's a primer.

It doesn't hold up in the real world unfortunately. Take for example:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/poll-are-you-buying-new-iphone-5s-or-iphone-5c/

Sample size of nearly 100,000 people, yet it suggested the iPhone 5S would outsell the 5C by over 10:1. The actual ratio was closer to 3:1.

There are a lot of assumptions made in surveys - that they are suitably random and cover wide enough age, gender and geographical demographics.

Also, when it comes to future products, people make the buying decision once they see the product and assess the price.

Asking a vague question like would you consider a phone above 4" with no insight about the design, exact size, price or features gives no meaningful information whatsoever. Did they want a 4.3" phone or a 5" phone? Did they want a $300 phone or a $600 phone?
    35% 'sway' (meaning. I WILL now buy an iPhone) of Android? That's what, 35% of 400Million sales world wide next year? 150Million? On top of the 200Million 'already gonna buy an iPhone' users?

35% of the 'big phone buyers'... maybe.

Apple's sales share was 150m out of 1b smartphones in 2013 so it would be 35% of 850m = ~300m. In other words, Apple would triple their sales. But y'know, sample size and all that.
    RBC of Canada must have bought a bunch of AAPL stock at 60 or less, and wants to make a killing

RBC and Apple stock were mentioned frequently in the book Flash Boys about high frequency trading:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-10/-rbc-nice-pays-off-amid-high-frequency-trading-outcry.html

They made their own exchange IEX to try to combat it and had meetings with the likes of David Einhorn (who has over $1b invested in Apple). They seem to prefer good old-fashioned manipulation via reporting and surveys rather than front-running.
    Article disagrees with your 1427 people assertion.

The note at the bottom of the image doesn't: "reflects 1,427 participants". 2573 might have been asked and declined to take part.

The more interesting survey I think would be asking people specifically if they'd be interested in a 5.5" iPhone. Samsung is the biggest promoter of phablets and it's a small market vs the phones:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/12/10/samsung-note-3-phablet-accounts-for-just-110-of-its-2013-premium-phone-sales

I'd be very surprised to see Apple coming out with a 5.5" phone.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    bizk1d1bizk1d1 Posts: 6member
    Im a Windows Phone user and have been since day 1. Currently have a 920. Love the phone, but the lack of *official* apps obviously let it down massively. Im used to the 920 screen now and I could never go back to a smaller screen. If Apple announce a bigger screen Iphone, im one of the ones that will jump ship!