Users report freezing, lagging iPhones with Apple's iOS 7.1, but overall crashes are down

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cjwoos57 wrote: »
    I updated my iPod Touch 5 gen, March 19, 2014 and my ipod kept cycling through the apple screen and a black screen, that kept going for 12 hours until I could do a complete restore. I have restored that ipod 5 times and it would freeze up around the 25 to 30 g area. Then it would cycle through the apple screen, the black screen, the slide screen and once in awhile it would show the lock screen. It was still under my best buy protection plan so I returned it. Now the new one I have have to restore 3 times and it cycled through the same screens at the approximate area. So I am now trying from an older back up. If that doesn't work then I will try starting with the apps that I'm trying to install when it crashes. If that doesn't work then I'm returning the ipod and starting with a 3rd one. Can anyone help me with this? To me ios 7.1 has killed my ipod. The first one worked perfectly before the update.

If you've restarted and you've restored it, then your next step is to make a Genius Bar appointment. Don't walk into the Apple Store without an appointment.
  • Reply 82 of 98
    kate2kate2 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Freezing and Lagging in the same sentence as iPhone....not possible.

My fault. I should have said if the screen doesn't freeze, then it lags like it's in slow motion.

• Reply 83 of 98
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

There's also a growing thread on Apple's site where users are experiencing issues with the Touch ID fingerprint scanner on their iPhone 5s after updating to iOS 7.1. Those people say that after installing the update, nothing happens when their finger is placed on the home button sensor.

Some iPhone owners said they have fixed the problem by rescanning their fingerprints into the system, but still others were unable to resolve the issue by tweaking Touch ID settings.

I have an iPhone 5S that I originally purchased at the end of January. It kept resetting and freezing and when the Apple Store genius tried to run diagnostics on it, it just completely died and it was replaced. The replacement was working fine and Touch ID was working as well as anyone's. Everyone was looking forward to the update to improve performance. When 7.1 became available I couldn't wait to install it. My Touch ID didn't work at all. I checked settings and everything was still set up. I deleted my fingerprints but then I couldn't register new ones. I restarted my phone multiple times. I restored my phone with a fresh copy of 7.1 and tried it. I was able to start registering a fingerprint but it would stop before it completed. A friend has a 5S and she didn't have trouble at all. I check the Apple support forums and there were a high number of postings. I tried all of the fixes suggested there and still didn't resolve it. I made a genius bar appointment at the local Apple Store. The "Genius" there forced me to go through the restore process all over again while I was there even though I explained I had already done it. I also explained to her that I have had iPhones since the 3G so I was very familiar with the process. The result was the same. Only after that did she start looking at corporate bulletins and alerts on her laptop. I glanced over her shoulder and noticed she was looking at one that said to collect iPhone 5S's from customers presenting with Touch ID issues after iOS 7.1 update. I started to ask her about it and she abruptly picked up the laptop and said she was having trouble loading the info and was going in back to look at it on a desktop. She returned about 3 minutes later with a white box replacement phone. I went to set it up and restore my iCloud backup which had been done on iOS 7.1 and discovered the replacement phone was on 7.0.4. So I had to waste more time while it was upgraded and then my backup was restored and then test my fingerprints. After over 2 hours I finally walked out with a functioning iPhone. If you have an iPhone 5S and you have ANY issues with the Touch ID after upgrading to 7.1 my advice is go to the nearest Apple Store and ask for a replacement as soon as you talk to the genius. Have them look up the bulletin or alert (whatever Apple calls them) before anything else. If you don't have an Apple Store nearby then call Apple Care and do the same thing. If you're within the first 90 days or if you ask politely they will probably set you up with advance replacement. I love my 5S (I've just had some bad luck with hardware). I have loved all of my iPhones. I'm willing to pay a premium for well designed hardware and software that doesn't allow the carrier to fill it up with bloatware. A friend recently bought a Galaxy SIII. It's filled with crap that Verizon put on there that's useless and Samsung has their own apps and widgets that take up space and confuse users (he had a Motorola before this). He asked me since they were both Android phones why don't they operate the same way? I took a look at the SIII and it appears that there's no way to remove most of the useless stuff. He took it to the Verizon store and asked them and they told him the same thing. How Samsung can allow a carrier to bog down their premier phone (at the time) and reduce it's performance as well as use storage space, I don't understand. Steve Jobs was a genius when he negotiated with AT&T on the original iPhone. He would not allow them to load any additional apps to the system as part of the contract. Maybe he negotiated with other carriers too and they wouldn't agree to his hard terms at the time. Maybe others thought it would be a failure since it was so different from anything before it. AT&T agreed to Steve's terms but one of theirs was included too, they would have exclusive carrier rights for a minimum of four years. Who wouldn't have loved to have been a witness to those negotiations.

Sorry for the long post. Try not to bash me too hard.   

• Reply 84 of 98

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH MY IPHONE5S!!!!!!!!!!:no::(

SWEAR THIS WAS THE WORSE WEEKEND (3 DAYS) & STILL WITHOUT ABLE TOO USE MY MESSAGES OR CALLS & APPS ON

MY IPHONE5S. I GOTTA WAIT 5MIN TOO USE THE IPHONE FOR COUPLE SEC THEN FREEZING & CRASHING & GOTTA TURN OFF AND WAIT 5MIN!!  EVEN UPDated IT & STILL THE SAME BUT WORSE :grumble:

LOTS OF FRIENDS & NEEDY FRIENDS WERENT NOT HAPPY & LOOKED LIKE I DIDNT CARE WITH REPLYS & STILL IS..... HOPE A UPDATE IS MADE TOO FIX THIS BULLSHIT APPLE!      NOT HAPPY:???::mad::devil:  & HOPE TO BE NORMAL AGAIN.

• Reply 85 of 98
    [SIZE=22px]WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH MY IPHONE5S!!!!!!!!!!:no: :( [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11px]SWEAR THIS WAS THE WORSE WEEKEND (3 DAYS) & STILL WITHOUT ABLE TOO USE MY MESSAGES OR CALLS & APPS ON[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11px]MY IPHONE5S. I GOTTA WAIT 5MIN TOO USE THE IPHONE FOR COUPLE SEC THEN FREEZING & CRASHING & GOTTA TURN OFF AND WAIT 5MIN!!  EVEN UPDated IT & STILL THE SAME BUT WORSE :grumble: [/SIZE]
    LOTS OF FRIENDS & NEEDY FRIENDS WERENT NOT HAPPY & LOOKED LIKE I DIDNT CARE WITH REPLYS & STILL IS..... HOPE A UPDATE IS MADE TOO FIX THIS BULLSHIT APPLE!      NOT HAPPY:???: :mad: :devil:   & HOPE TO BE NORMAL AGAIN<span style="line-height:1.4em;">.</span>

Judging from your grammar, I take it that you stole your iPhone; in which case, I'm pleased that you're having such a nightmare with it. Long may your nightmare continue!
  • Reply 86 of 98
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

My 5S has suffered a couple of weird freezes recently, normally in Safari.  Clears up after 30 seconds or so, but always seems to happen at the most annoying times.

• Reply 87 of 98
    crowley wrote: »
    My 5S has suffered a couple of weird freezes recently, normally in Safari.  Clears up after 30 seconds or so, but always seems to happen at the most annoying times.

Me too. I think the last iOS may have introduced a bug somewhere. Oh well. Only three months or so until iOS 8.
  • Reply 88 of 98
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    [SIZE=22px]what the hell is going on with my iphone5s!!!!!!!!!!:no: :( [/size]

[size=11px]swear this was the worse weekend (3 days) & still without able too use my messages or calls & apps on[/size]
    [size=11px]my iphone5s. I gotta wait 5min too use the iphone for couple sec then freezing & crashing & gotta turn off and wait 5min!! Even updated it & still the same but worse :grumble: [/size]
    lots of friends & needy friends werent not happy & looked like i didnt care with replys & still is..... Hope a update is made too fix this bullshit apple! Not happy:???: :mad: :devil: & hope to be normal again<span style="line-height:1.4em;">.</span>

1. Why wait for Apple to fix your problem? You could try to do a clean install and then add your apps back on the device, or even simpler; do a restore from backup.

2. All caps aren't much appreciated as it comes across as shouting without listening.

3. Welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 89 of 98
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

1. Why wait for Apple to fix your problem? You could try to do a clean install and then add your apps back on the device, or even simpler; do a restore from backup.

2. All caps aren't much appreciated as it comes across as shouting without listening.

3. Welcome to the forum.

Indeed, the thing is a computer after all so a bit of attention can often solve whatever electronic confusion is going on. If you do an encrypted backup all your passwords etc. will be retained as well, IIRC.

• Reply 90 of 98
    My Iphone 5s lost the ability to move to landscape mode after updating to 7.1.1 and remains frozen in portrait mode. I used to use this facility a lot when messaging to have a longer keyboard and on photos. My wife's Iphone 5 works OK with the same update.

I have updated to the recently released 7.1.2 but that made no difference as I expected. Guess I'm going to have to do without landscape mode from now as you cannot go back to a previous version of software.
  • Reply 91 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Grindelow View Post

My Iphone 5s lost the ability to move to landscape mode after updating to 7.1.1 and remains frozen in portrait mode. I used to use this facility a lot when messaging to have a longer keyboard and on photos. My wife's Iphone 5 works OK with the same update.

I have updated to the recently released 7.1.2 but that made no difference as I expected. Guess I'm going to have to do without landscape mode from now as you cannot go back to a previous version of software.

OR you could take it in an Apple store and have them fix it? You have done a clean restore? Otherwise maybe try that and then take it in if it doesn't resolve the issue.

• Reply 92 of 98

Also check to see if your orientation lock isn't on.  

• Reply 93 of 98
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 444member
    grindelow wrote: »

I'd go to an Apple Store and see what's up. You shouldn't have to stick with that.
  • Reply 94 of 98
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gilly33 wrote: »
    I'd go to an Apple Store and see what's up. You shouldn't have to stick with that.

For some people the nearest Apple store is hours away.
  • Reply 95 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

For some people the nearest Apple store is hours away.

Still: if it's important then why ever not get it fixed? One way or another.

• Reply 96 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Still: if it's important then why ever not get it fixed? One way or another.

1,000 miles tends to be more than a day trip.

• Reply 97 of 98
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's why you can do it by post, calling Apple and mailing it in.

• Reply 98 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"one way or another"?

Express ship back and forth and the time without would be minuscule compared to suffering the glitch until replacing the phone.