Apple may ditch longtime ad agency TBWA, look to Beats' Jimmy Iovine for marketing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

They also should realize that fitness in general is a whole universe of bad taste, and doesn't bear repetitive, high-definition depiction. Right under the surface of this narcissism is a whole bunch of dirty, smelly laundry. It ain't at all sexy, unless you've got some fetish or other. I could go on, but I won't. Sufficient to note that it won't sell in France.

Who cares about France? France is insignificant in terms of Apple revenue and they're hardly a good measuring stick for what Apple should or should not do. Apple is into cutting edge stuff, not old world biases and superstition.

You should look at the bigger picture. Apple is obviously leaning pretty heavily in the direction of health and fitness. What do you think that the whole Apple iWatch is going to be about? I bet you that health and fitness are going to be extremely important to Apple's watch. You're only going to be hearing more about health and fitness from Apple, whether you like it or not.

• Reply 22 of 40
    flaneur wrote: »
    I think they need to go back to TBWA, hat in hand. These latest ads are either boring as hell or incredibly obnoxious. If I hear that damn chicken fat ad one more time, I'm going to lose my freakin' mind.

It is in terrible taste, because of that song. Where did it come from?

They also should realize that fitness in general is a whole universe of bad taste, and doesn't bear repetitive, high-definition depiction. Right under the surface of this narcissism is a whole bunch of dirty, smelly laundry. It ain't at all sexy, unless you've got some fetish or other. I could go on, but I won't. Sufficient to note that it won't sell in France.

This is very true. The fit young hipster yuppie demographic may be their iconic base, but it represents a very small part of their customers. I predict many will be put off by this kind of emphasis. (Like the 75-year-old lady who took our pictures with her iPhone at our July birthdays party today).

Looking forward, how many even more disgusting bodily functions will the iWatch keep track of, and how lovingly will they be dwelt over in the commercials?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

They also should realize that fitness in general is a whole universe of bad taste, and doesn't bear repetitive, high-definition depiction.

Sufficient to note that it won't sell in France.

Unless of course is is about futbol, French Open or Tour de France

• Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Looking forward, how many even more disgusting bodily functions will the iWatch keep track of

As many as possible.

I want the iWatch to be crammed full of all kinds of sensors, that are useful of course, not gimmicky crap like on Android.

I predict that the iWatch will be a huge hit, even though I haven't seen the design yet obviously, but that doesn't matter, because it's Apple, and I know that they will deliver.

And also, health and fitness isn't just for athletes or young people that are in a shape. It's for everybody, even for fat people, and it's especially for fat people, because I do believe that most people would rather be in shape than to drop dead early.

• Reply 25 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wise words. I was just about to go off on a massive, wordy rant, but then I realized that this is just another crappy rumor, so I'm not going to bother to waste my time.

Ever since Jobs died the media has pushed this meme that Apple needs to find somebody to replace Steve as Apple's tastemaker/visionary. They've now anointed Iovine as that person. This rumor certainly fits in with that meme.

• Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ever since Jobs died the media has pushed this meme that Apple needs to find somebody to replace Steve as Apple's tastemaker/visionary. They've now anointed Iovine as that person. This rumor certainly fits in with that meme.

Iovine is a good music producer, I'll give him that. He's worked on numerous classic albums. He's also a successful record biz exec, but so what? What does that have to do with computers or tech?

Beats marketing basically consists of getting a bunch of sports celebrities and minorities to wear their headphones. Hardly groundbreaking stuff.

• Reply 27 of 40
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Iovine is a good music producer, I'll give him that. He's worked on numerous classic albums. He's also a successful record biz exec, but so what? What does that have to do with computers or tech?

Beats marketing basically consists of getting a bunch of sports celebrities and minorities to wear their headphones. Hardly groundbreaking stuff.

Point taken, but minorities in the US are not necessarily minorities all across the globe. Also, US sports celebrities traditionally have had enormous global cachet. Apple increasingly is a global brand with global product and marketing reach. 

• Reply 28 of 40
    apple ][ wrote: »

I don't get it. That's why I never supported the Beats purchase. Beats headphones basically mirror what the haters mistakenly say about Apple - that they sell overpriced crap and their success is all due to slick marketing. Why would Apple want to reinforce that false narrative? Having said that I do think Apple's advertising needs a spark. Less serious and more fun (with better music).

Edit: this is what Beats is giving the German football team. Can anyone here ever imagine Apple designing something like this?!? Ugh...

Gold-Beats-Pro-headphones-for-Germany-football-team.jpg?293236
  • Reply 29 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Edit: this is what Beats is giving the German football team. Can anyone here ever imagine Apple designing something like this?!? Ugh...

[image]

I'm not a fan of gold but the design looks nice. Note that Apple has made gold colored products in the past, under Jobs; none of which I thought were very attractive.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,815member
    Quote:

I don't get it. That's why I never supported the Beats purchase. Beats headphones basically mirror what the haters mistakenly say about Apple - that they sell overpriced crap and their success is all due to slick marketing. Why would Apple want to reinforce that false narrative? Having said that I do think Apple's advertising needs a spark. Less serious and more fun (with better music).

No, it needs a couple chamfered edges to make it an Apple design. :p

• Reply 31 of 40
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of gold but the design looks nice. Note that Apple has made gold colored products in the past, under Jobs; none of which I thought were very attractive.
    I didn't like the gold iPod mini. I have a gold iPhone though. Apple got that one right. It's not bling bling gold (like these headphones).
  • Reply 32 of 40
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

What the **** is a limited edition that isn't even available to the public supposed to prove, exactly? You're really, really reaching. Also Beats' "Game before the Game" ad was absolutely excellent, and very much like Apple current ads- and a step beyond. It's pretty sad that you have to resort to a gift that the German team is receiving to continue bashing Beats, as if its relevant. Yes, Beats has good marketing and a strong brand. Thats extremely valuable these days. Apple can improve the actual product further, but creating brand loyalty is not easy. The purchase was a good move, but unfortunately you're unable to see the big picture, because you're so stuck on your talking points.  Maybe you eventually will. 

• Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

Way too tacky. Way too blingy.

People who like bling bling and other trashy stuff seem to like Beats headphones. 

Apple needs to make sure that it doesn't get infected by any trashy Bling bling style coming from the Beats camp.

• Reply 34 of 40
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    slurpy wrote: »
    What the **** is a limited edition that isn't even available to the public supposed to prove, exactly? You're really, really reaching. Also Beats' "Game before the Game" ad was absolutely excellent, and very much like Apple current ads- and a step beyond. It's pretty sad that you have to resort to a gift that the German team is receiving to continue bashing Beats, as if its relevant. Yes, Beats has good marketing and a strong brand. Thats extremely valuable these days. Apple can improve the actual product further, but creating brand loyalty is not easy. The purchase was a good move, but unfortunately you're unable to see the big picture, because you're so stuck on your talking points.  Maybe you eventually will. 

I agree.

Beats has always had excellent marketing. That's why they are highly coveted by young adults globally.

Their "Game before the Game" ad was absolutely perfect and it shows where Apple should go with their marketing. The ad currently has over 20 million views on YouTube and over 75,000 up votes. Actually all of Beats ads have gained traction on YouTube.

Its been nearly a decade since an Apple ad campaign made waves like that.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Go you chickenfat, go!
  • Reply 36 of 40
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »

So they're just handing out pretty black girls? :lol:
  • Reply 37 of 40
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    mj web wrote: »
    Go you chickenfat, go!

Lmfao. Reading that out of nowhere killed me.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

My thoughts and fears are coming true.

When Mr. Job's passed I thought there goes the deciding factor, there goes the tie breaker, there goes the peace maker.

Now rather than one cohesive execution with attention to detail you are going to see more and more fractioning of control.

I don't think it is going to matter how awesome the products are going to be or how they market those products, it is the dirty laundry that has been coming out over the last couple of years that is the problem and is starting to tarnish the brand.

Mr. Job's would never stand for any of this to reach the light of public eye or you were done. I do not see the same level of respect (or fear) for Mr. Cook.

ZOMG there's nothing but DOOOOOM in Apple's future! OMGOMGOMG! I can see it now! Mac OS X 10.10 Straight Outta Compton! The finder will be replaced by a simulated DJ turntable.

• Reply 39 of 40
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

Hmmm...I just have to wonder what relationship there is or will be between Schiller and Iovine.

• Reply 40 of 40
    boblehbobleh Posts: 34member
    Pure marketing genius. 23mil. views on Youtube. Wow.