A Revelation: Steve Jobs REALLY cares about more than just $$$.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was watching the keynote over satellite, it was really interesting to take a good look at Steve's body language.

I TRULY think he cares about making a quality product that will affect how people live their lives. Not only that, but he gets emotionally involved in making those products the best they can be. Yeah, he's in the business to make money -- and he will do what's needed to accomplish that.

But when I saw what looked like an ever so slight "choking up" after the iPhoto Slide Show of the little girl, I knew it. When I saw the smile on his face after introducing the new iMac, I could tell.

It's not just about the dollar signs for Steve Jobs. He cares about the products his company makes, and he cares about the people who use them.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I likes the man.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    no, you think

How else do you think Apple releases such cool products release after release? they care about them, especially Steve. He controls every aspect of a product's development.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Jobs/Ive for America in 2004!

I think we can guess their platform.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    i support that statement strongly. jobs is a truly visionary...and someone who cares about making the world a better place. well, at least he cares about design..

btw, have you noticed the chair of jonathan ive in the new imac video? it's a barcelona chair by mies van der rohe. i have the same in my living room
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by Strangelove:

<strong>i have the same in my living room </strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't have any of the furniture, but I was stoked when I heard a song on there that I have on CD. It's actually from a little-known CD I got from B&N. It sounded cool at the store, so I bought it. Then Apple put it in a video!

Where Steve's concerned, I truly think he cares about much more than just the design of the machines. I really think he wants to make a product that Apple's customers can use efficiently and easily, yet make REALLY cool stuff to enhance their lives.

Can we say: iTools, Photo Album, and Airport (just to name a few)?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    He also look astounded and slightly choked up after the iMac unveiling and the video that followed it.

People kept on applauding (several actually stood up) and he kind of paced the stage looking and smiling at the audience and his eyes seemed a bit glistened and he seemed to swallow a couple of times. You know how you do when you're tearing up a bit?

I thought that was kind of cool and genuine. I was very proud, at that moment, to be a Mac user.

• Reply 7 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

I thought that was kind of cool and genuine. I was very proud, at that moment, to be a Mac user.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

This whole thread sums it up for any PC users wondering how there can be such a devoted following towards a computer. This is a very big part of our lives, at least mine. And this is truely a great company. Jobs is just an amazing person, I wish I had the privilage to work for him everyday.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    [quote]Originally posted by lsderrick:

<strong>

This whole thread sums it up for any PC users wondering how there can be such a devoted following towards a computer. This is a very big part of our lives, at least mine. And this is truely a great company. Jobs is just an amazing person, I wish I had the privilage to work for him everyday.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm glad he is the head of Apple, but I am not sure that I would want to work for him. He is a perfectionist and can apparently be kind of an a$$hole at times. Although maybe it takes that type to really get things done, I don't know.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>He also look astounded and slightly choked up after the iMac unveiling and the video that followed it.

People kept on applauding (several actually stood up) and he kind of paced the stage looking and smiling at the audience and his eyes seemed a bit glistened and he seemed to swallow a couple of times. You know how you do when you're tearing up a bit?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I got a little choked up too while the iMac was being raised on the platform.

:cool:
  • Reply 10 of 11
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    A journalist remembered watching the first "Think Different" commercial in Jobs's presence. She recalled Jobs wept at the sight of it.

Say what you will about the man -- bad manager, tyrant, abusive, petty, devious -- he cares about a lot more than money. He truly feels that what he does is good and makes a positive difference in people's lives. That's why he's such a good marketer: because he believes in Apple. When he says that iMovie is "profound," that it enables users to "have emotional experiences," he means exactly that.

But I wouldn't want to work with him.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by icruise:

<strong>

I'm glad he is the head of Apple, but I am not sure that I would want to work for him. He is a perfectionist and can apparently be kind of an a$$hole at times. Although maybe it takes that type to really get things done, I don't know.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm an industrial designer and look up to Ives. He is very lucky to have Jobs. No one takes risks like Steve does and that is the reason we get these great looking products. I'm a perfectionist as well and am always getting ideas knocked down by my boss, but Ives is free to push the limit product after product.

So if given the chance I would work under Ives and Jobs for free if need be.