Editorial: Google, Microsoft claiming Apple's crown, albeit from 1994

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

Globalization for the best OS is the only thing left to do. UNIX please geez!!

But yeah windows just keeps piling on top of their os and re-using and scrapping etc...

OS X = UNIX

iOS is a form of UNIX.

They are the most popular forms of the UNIX operating system in the world.

But Windows is still a force. It is one of Microsoft's Core Competencies that earns Microsoft $16 BILLION a year no matter what happens to the economy.   Unfortunately Balmer flubbed with Windows 8.  So, like Steve Jobs did with the transition to Mac OS X from OS 9,  Nadella can transition Microsoft to a better Windows 9.

In the fight against Google, Apple needs partnerships.  And Microsoft is just as good to have as IBM.    

If only Microsoft would update its Mac OS X version of Office - its other core competency, it would be even more successful.

It is shocking how Microsoft has failed in its two primary competencies - Office and Windows - the bread and butter of its profits.

Nadella should realize that a healthy Microsoft Office on Mac OS X can save Microsoft Corporation just like it saved Apple decades ago.

• Reply 42 of 130
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Do you correct people on their grammar in your day to day experience? Just curious.

As a general rule, no.

There are far too many of us on this planet with completely different cultures, backgrounds, and educations, none of which reflects on us as individuals. I believe that focussing on the message rather than the method of delivery is more important.

Regardless of that, you weren't correcting grammar to educate. You were attempting to use it as a weapon.

And unfortunately, your weapon turned out to be two sided.
  • Reply 43 of 130
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

That article was boring. I don't disagree with any of the statements, just that there really wasn't a point. This is not the 90s and the comparisons with today are weak. The text jumps all over the place. Just a stream of random thoughts in no particular order and no central theme. Rambling, rambling, rambling...

But the rolling over like an overfed goldfish was original, so one thumbs up.

• Reply 44 of 130
    philboogie wrote: »
    What's an oX Warp 2?
    That's not him, that's related to the forum software, getting the article from the front page (Quiller Media, Inc) onto the forum software, from Huddler Lifestyle. Which is shyte.

I meant OS/2 Warp. If you haven't heard of it I can provide a link. Those who have may not need one.

I would like to see an actual reason for excessive pasting in the original articles. Tallest clued me in on the comment view, however the original article should not have that many "mistakes". I generally read the article before I jump to comments.
  • Reply 45 of 130
    gtr wrote: »
    As a general rule, no.

There are far too many of us on this planet with completely different cultures, backgrounds, and educations, none of which reflects on us as individuals. I believe that focussing on the message rather than the method of delivery is more important.

Regardless of that, you weren't correcting grammar to educate. You were attempting to use it as a weapon.

And unfortunately, your weapon turned out to be two sided.

You would have to tell me which post, but I believe you missed the point. I have no qualms with you.
  • Reply 46 of 130
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Adjusted for inflation, it's about the same as 10 years ago. I think Microsoft's real problem is that they are a distant third in mobile, and thats where the growth is. Yes, they do have the desktop locked up, but that's fading star. Enterprise is shared by Microsoft with IBM, which had a strategy going forward that out-shines whatever 3100 word geek-speak plan Microsoft's head babbler has penned.

Mobile isn't the only growth area in tech. Microsoft can continue to be a very profitable business without a leading mobile OS. Nadella's latest e-mails and the release of Office for iPad show that Microsoft's strategy is moving away from mobile operating systems.

• Reply 47 of 130
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    But Windows is still a force. It is one of Microsoft's Core Competencies that earns Microsoft $16 BILLION a year no matter what happens to the economy.

Indeed, and sad. The fact that companies do not wish to investigate alternatives and simply renew their subscriptions is sad. Consumers can be like that as well, simply buy a new PC, with Windows preinstalled, choosing that, because they don't know any better. Or see Apple as expensive. Just like they thought Apple computers had smaller screens 'back in the day' but merely were honest by stating the VIS size which the competition did not do.
    Unfortunately Balmer flubbed with Windows 8.  So, like Steve Jobs did with the transition to Mac OS X from OS 9,  Nadella can transition Microsoft to a better Windows 9.

But how? They have backward compatibility in their DNA. It is what Windows is. I don't see a way for them to make a drastic change, like Apple did by moving to Unix, unless MS too will run their current core in a VM box.
    In the fight against Google, Apple needs partnerships.

But do they need to fight Google? What's the point? Apple can simply be Apple, and laugh at all attempts Google makes at creating software (poorly designed IMO, but that's just me)
    If only Microsoft would update its Mac OS X version of Office - its other core competency, it would be even more successful.

It is shocking how Microsoft has failed in its two primary competencies - Office and Windows - the bread and butter of its profits.

Nadella should realize that a healthy Microsoft Office on Mac OS X can save Microsoft Corporation just like it saved Apple decades ago.

I think the vast amount of alternatives for Office on OSX makes MS not want to invest much time & money into creating a 'new version'. They'll likely update the current crap with some new features every few years. Besides, with these prices, who's going to buy it?
  • Reply 48 of 130
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    But do they need to fight Google? What's the point? Apple can simply be Apple, and laugh at all attempts Google makes at creating software (poorly designed IMO, but that's just me)

+1
  • Reply 49 of 130
    Hilarious! Wins the thread!

Someone who's debating grammar? LOL! I wonder how his text messages look...
  • Reply 50 of 130
    I meant OS/2 Warp.

Gotcha
    I would like to see an actual reason for excessive pasting in the original articles.

I think [@]Marvin[/@] knows what the exact reason is for the 'translation errors' that occur when the article gets a thread on the forum software. The article on the home page (that I never visit) is usually without these symptoms, or edited quickly after posting. The article in the thread used to be edited as well when Tallest Skill was still a mod here, but...alas.
  • Reply 51 of 130
    Hilarious! Wins the thread!

Uhm, no. The humorous part is because he used Nazi in a double meaning.
  • Reply 52 of 130
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    larrya wrote: »
    Excellent substance, but the overuse of "beleaguered" was distracting. Other options: waning, tired, besieged, plagued.

You miss DED's sarcasm there. For decades, Apple has been the "beleaguered Apple" by hundreds of journalists. There have been articles written in the last year that still refers go Apple that way.
  • Reply 53 of 130
    Gotcha
    I think [@]Marvin[/@] knows what the exact reason is for the 'translation errors' that occur when the article gets a thread on the forum software. The article on the home page (that I never visit) is usually without these symptoms, or edited quickly after posting. The article in the thread used to be edited as well when Tallest Skill was still a mod here, but...alas.

You are probably right. I do read the article and then jump to comments. There are many, many repeats. Especially when this author is concerned. I usually ignore them. At least I know they're written by a human. I was just letting that commenter know that I noticed them also. It really does look like cut and paste errors.
  • Reply 54 of 130

I'm going to be honest. I really don't get it. Is it a racist thing?
  • Reply 55 of 130

I'm going to be honest. I really don't get it. Is it a racist thing?

No, usually when people call others out on a grammar error they get named a 'grammar Nazi'. GTR simply wrapped it up in a made-up story that Hitler had a Nazi working for him, writing speeches, basically being a 'grammar Nazi'.

That, or I am starting to see things and making stuff up in my already weird mind lol
  • Reply 56 of 130
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    There's an incredibly funny error I'm not to sure if you didn't add it intentionally.

"Instead, the company [Microsoft] has appointed a Gil Amelio, slashing jobs and spewing <a href="http://www.mondaynote.com/2014/07/13/microsofts-new-ceo-needs-an-editor/" style="border-style:none;" target="_blank">verbose but largely meaningless platitudes</a>
     regarding Microsoft's future strategy."

You meant Satya Nadella lol.

EDIT: I misread. You said a Gil Amelio...

Even without an 'a' I'd have read it as a metaphor.
  • Reply 57 of 130
    No, usually when people call others out on a grammar error they get named a 'grammar Nazi'. GTR simply wrapped it up in a made-up story that Hitler had a Nazi working for him, writing speeches, basically being a 'grammar Nazi'.

That, or I am starting to see things and making stuff up in my already weird mind lol

Oh, what the heck! I even went back and re-read all of my posts several times. I missed a few periods (no pun) and commas. You people should see the texts I get from extremely educated people!
  • Reply 58 of 130
    I do read the article and then jump to comments. There are many, many repeats. Especially when this author is concerned. I usually ignore them. At least I know they're written by a human. I was just letting that commenter know that I noticed them also. It really does look like cut and paste errors.

I also read the article in the thread, not on/from the homepage. I think the number of repeated sentences increase with the onger articles. Hopefully Marvin can explain more, preferably Kasper gets rid of Huddler-the-crap-forum-software-provider and bring either vBulletin back or, I don't know, does Google or MS make forum software? Because I actually think that may even be a better choicesuck less than what Huddler gives us. But I digress.

http://www.huddler.com/our-platform/

Anyway, it indeed looks like a copy/paste screwup, which it isn't. Many newcomers comment on that....or leave because of it.
  • Reply 59 of 130
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    OS X = UNIX
    iOS is a form of UNIX.
    They are the most popular forms of the UNIX operating system in the world.

But Windows is still a force. It is one of Microsoft's Core Competencies that earns Microsoft $16 BILLION a year no matter what happens to the economy.   Unfortunately Balmer flubbed with Windows 8.  So, like Steve Jobs did with the transition to Mac OS X from OS 9,  Nadella can transition Microsoft to a better Windows 9.

In the fight against Google, Apple needs partnerships.  And Microsoft is just as good to have as IBM.    

You wrote some sense here in the first paragraph then go off the rails it seems to me. Fixing Windows, if possible, is too late, the platform it runs on is diminishing. i.e. beige, black or silver boxes that sit under desks. Trying to shoehorn it onto mobile devices has proven to be a disaster.

Office is hardly likely to sustain Microsoft, it's a spread sheet and a few other programs all of which are easily replaced. The only reason it was so ubiquitous in the first place is because so many people learned it and then felt protective of their investment in time learning it, especially MIS departments. The truth is there are tons of alternatives and in the end not that many people really need them these days. I would bet the vast number of Office users barely used 10% of it if that.

Lastly there is a new generation who have come of buying age that barely know Microsoft as anything but a maker of a game box.
  • Reply 60 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Probably a whole lot better than yours.