Which PDA?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So my mom finally decides she wants a PDA after seeing one of her friends with one. She asked specifically about the Palm M505 too. She demands color and small size, so that really narrows it down to the two higher end Sony CLIEs or the Palm M505...I know it's possible to hotsync with a CLIE, so compatibility isn't an issue there.

But after today and a chat with an Apple guy with an iPAQ inside one of the non-main Apple booths, I am entertaining the idea of buying my mom one of the PocketPC based PDAs...if ActiveSync:mac is indeed on the way.

Another issue...the Palm M505 is probably the safest bet right now, but it was released in March 2001! New Palms must be in the pipe, right? Should I tell her to be patient? I know Handspring is releasing the Treo on Monday, but I fear Palm may be waiting until PalmSource in February.

Should I get her a CLIE or M505 now or wait?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    I would only wait for a PocketPC if your mother would actually use the added functionality one gets with it. As in movies, MP3s, office apps, and such.

If all she wants is an organizer and email device get a Palm. I haven't seen the m505 or new Clie up close so i can't be any help there, sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    If she specifically asked about the Palm M505, why not get her that? She probably wants what her friend has, right?

[quote]New Palms must be in the pipe, right?<hr></blockquote>

Think about this for a second. What would a new Palm be able to do that an old Palm couldn't? If she just needs it for organization, than the Palm M505 is probably aleady a little much for her. But if she really needs more, look into the Pocket PCs some more.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The Palm M505 has a god awful display, that's why I want to wait. Besides, she'd probably tell me that I should have informed her about newer models...despite already being informed.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I had an iPaq for a while (sold it cause G4 died and needed money). As far as I can tell, PocketPC's are the Mac of the PDA world. They cost more but they are a far superior product. They also have full web browsing and cool games like Quake. But for the average person, like moms, they are still better than Palms. They are faster, and they are way more functional. I love the PocketPC's and would now never consider buying a Palm OS machine.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    [quote]As far as I can tell, PocketPC's are the Mac of the PDA world.<hr></blockquote>

As far as I can tell, Pocket PC's are the Windows of of the PDA world. Literally.

Isn't it sad that you have devices like the iPaq being the front running PDA in terms of features? If only Apple made a replacement for the Newton, the Pocket PC wouldn't stand a chance, and neither would Palm.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I personally would wait for the Treo 270 in COLOR from handspring around mAy... It is smaller then the M505 will ahve a better screen and is a phone!! only problem is that it costs like $800... I like it tho...

-Paul
  • Reply 7 of 16
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    i would probably go with the clie...it has higher resolution than the palm m505 that she doesn't like the screen on. but, the m505 could also work....toss a coin
  • Reply 8 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I've got my eye on the Clie 760. I love the screen and the scroll wheel and back button. Honestly I wouldn't see myself needing the extra features of the PocketPC yet...maybe in the future when I can assess the "true" Mac connectivity. As for Palm as a company..they seem to have some pretty bad Brain Drain...Handspring is mopping the floor with them and it's sad. I agree...Apple would and could probably have a more compelling offering.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    I find people often "think" they want something just because it's cool, and their friends have one, and they think it'll help them and be useful, but actually, they're totally incompatible with what it is they think they want. So they end up spending a ton of money on something they don't even use after six months (or six days). I find this to be particularly true of PDAs.

Has your mother ever owned/used a PDA? If not, then I'd recommend starting cheap. Get her an M100. Yes, it's monochrome, yes, it's old, yes, it's not color. BUT, it's only a $100. If she likes it, if she uses it, then you consider investing in something more expensive.

The m505 costs four times what the m100 does, and it gets even more expensive when you start talking about PocketPCs, so why waste that much money on something that your mother may not even want, need, or use?

So start small, the m100 is a relatively tiny investment, and if she doesn't like it, then she's not going to like one that costs five times as much either, I think it takes a certain kind of person to be willing to deal with the short comings of a PDA (like grafiti, slowness, general lack of elegance), and you shouldn't rush into anything just because "she has to have it!"

What does she plan on using it for, anyway?

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 10 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Do the clie's work with macs? I don't know about the 760, but I know that several of their older models needed a) either the missing sync software or b) virtual pc to work. I've read reports that some of the sony's (can't remember which ones) will work with macs out of the box but sony clearly states that they do not support macs Bastards... Anyway, I'm waiting for the next big thing in handhelds to come along before I get a new one (I know you wanted to know that )
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    [quote] short comings of a PDA (like grafiti, slowness, general lack of elegance <hr></blockquote>

I am the proud owner of a brand new m100 and I have to say I love it! I find it very easy to use, I have yet to notice a slowness, I like Grafiti, and with a small $20 add-on such as <a href="http://www.pocketsensei.com/"; target="_blank">Silver Screen</a> the PalmOS can be a very inviting place to work.

Get her something like an m100 because My mom felt she needed a Palm so bad, got an m100 and now knows she doesn't need one. If you waste your money on an m505 and she doesn't NEED a Palm she's going to be very unhappy and so will your pockets.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 12 of 16
    [quote]I like Grafiti<hr></blockquote>

I feel so sorry for you.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Guru:

<strong>I like Grafiti</strong><hr></blockquote>

Did you use Graffiti to write that?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Has your mother ever owned/used a PDA? If not, then I'd recommend starting cheap. Get her an M100. Yes, it's monochrome, yes, it's old, yes, it's not color. BUT, it's only a $100. If she likes it, if she uses it, then you consider investing in something more expensive.

No, but she has a huge appointment book and a rolodex filled with a million-zillion names/addresses/phone numbers.

Color would come in handy for categorical uses...especially on the calendar, I think.

Actually, the only thin stopping me from getting her the M505, is high chance of both Sony AND Palm releasing new PDAs within a month. That will 1) create new choices and 2) bring the price of the M505 or NC760 down.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Why feel sorry for me, I've been using Graffiti for quite a while and I find it very easy to use. It may not be as intuitive as a Newton Fran but it gets the job done for me at least.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 16 of 16
    As far as the Sonys go, I certainly wouldn't bother with the N760 for your Mom, unless she's a big mp3 fan. The 610, or whatever they're calling it now, has the same small size, jog wheel, and great screen, but is cheaper.