Purported 'iPhone 6' render shows sub-1mm rear camera lens protrusion

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I do not use a case anymore (4s).  Nor does my wife (5).  We both have them, but we stopped using them.  

Me too. The case didn't prevent the screen from shattering when I dropped it on the sidewalk, so I figured the extra bulk was unnecessary. Surprisingly, the screen on the replacement, which was NOT in a case, survived a trip ten feet in the air landing in the street. Unfortunately the internals did not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Stop with your absolutes.

I thought I needed them to get into heaven or something... oh wait, that's absolution. Never mind.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

(That said, we both cracked our phones this year. ;-( ).

They probably would have broken in a case anyway. This is just nature's way of telling you it's time to buy a skinny phone with a wart in the corner.

• Reply 42 of 60
    What is "Republic of China"? This country does not exist.
    If you are talking about the China I live in, it ain't no republic last time I checked.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by angusw View Post

Uh huh¡

• Reply 44 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by angusw View Post

If you are talking about the China I live in, it ain't no republic last time I checked.

Taiwan is officially the "Republic of China."

• Reply 45 of 60
    iPods don't have mute switches, but it could explain the flash light being a normal (looking) one.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,170member
    My rule is a case for the first year, naked after that.

And I would prefer a slightly thicker iPhone than a protruding lens.

But it does present some interesting design dilemmas. I wonder if they have ever considered placing the lens in the centre of the body? Although that could present battery issues.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He already did, so...

He also designed the pop-out button for a wrist strap and we will never see that designed into an iPhone. These are two completely different products marketed towards two different types of consumers for two different uses. It's just my opinion but I don't think the lens will protrude on their premium, flagship device.

You can tell me how wrong I was in a few weeks. And, knowing you, you certainly will¡

• Reply 48 of 60
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

My rule is a case for the first year, naked after that.

And I would prefer a slightly thicker iPhone than a protruding lens.

But it does present some interesting design dilemmas. I wonder if they have ever considered placing the lens in the centre of the body? Although that could present battery issues.

More so, display issues.

• Reply 49 of 60
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

These are two completely different products marketed towards two different types of consumers for two different uses.

Yes. And there’s a physical minimum size for a lens.

You can tell me how wrong I was in a few weeks. And, knowing you, you certainly will¡ 

Glad you put the sarcasm mark there; I don’t generally do that.

• Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

5th gen iPod touch barely protrudes and that's thinner than the rumored iPhone 6 is supposed to be. Leaks like this don't tell the whole story. Hence why I can't get worked up over them.

True, but I've tried typing on an iPod touch 5th gen lying flat (no case) and it rocks.  It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.  And I'm not likely the only person who'd think that.

I agree with you though, and I can't get "worked up" about it until I actually see it and then use it.  Of course I'm still getting it on release day.  And I'm sure it won't be a dealbreaker for me.  :-)

So what you're saying is that the iPod rocks and sucks. ????

• Reply 51 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyltd View Post

This is not iPhone. Sorry to disappoint. Just looks horribly wrong. Cant put finger on it. 

Care to put more of a handle on your reasoning?

• Reply 52 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

If this phone doesn't do anything fundamentally different, i'm not sure I will buy it...

Maybe battery life and energy management would convince me...

Just a better camera, processor, and bigger size wont convince me since my 5s already does everything i care about.

Just wait for next year's model. This one isn't meant for you.

• Reply 53 of 60
    Originally Posted by scottyltd View Post

This is not iPhone. Sorry to disappoint. Just looks horribly wrong. Cant put finger on it. 

Sure you can; it’s a touchscreen.

• Reply 54 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I do not use a case anymore (4s).  Nor does my wife (5).  We both have them, but we stopped using them.  

Me too. The case didn't prevent the screen from shattering when I dropped it on the sidewalk, so I figured the extra bulk was unnecessary. Surprisingly, the screen on the replacement, which was NOT in a case, survived a trip ten feet in the air landing in the street. Unfortunately the internals did not.

Another butterfingers, eh? You're in good company with Relic; she, too, has a family prone to clumsiness, bless them.

• Reply 55 of 60
    shogun wrote: »
    Is it possible that all of these iPhone 6 leaks have actually been leaks of a 4.7" iPod instead, and that we have no idea what the 6 will look like?
    Yes, but then they would not have had iPhone all along, apple would have played there strategy and wowed people and embarrass media.
    rogifan wrote: »
    5th gen iPod touch barely protrudes and that's thinner than the rumored iPhone 6 is supposed to be. Leaks like this don't tell the whole story. Hence why I can't get worked up over them.
    Of course but iPhone has better and likely even better camera, displacing thickness.
    netrox wrote: »
    It is inevitable if the phone is thinner. You cannot thinner lens than it already is otherwise pics won't look great.

But for most consumers, it won't be an issue when they are using cases that will "smooth" out the form factor.
    Cases ruin point of device.
    rogifan wrote: »
    My point is it's just a slight protrusion on the iPod touch and the iPhone 6 is rumored to be 7mm thick, thicker than the iPod touch. So either it won't protrude or if it does there's a reason for it. Or perhaps these schematics that are leaking are not iPhone 6 but new iPod touches or something else.
    No body likes iPod, they all care about iPhone.
    jvolino wrote: »
    From the post:

"Adding to the mystery is the relative lack of radio transparent material in the render"

Umm, the plastic break (white material) is very likely the radio transparent material, as has been evident in all the casing leaks so far.
    Saying this really is possible iPod?
    I am. Absolutely certain. I do occasionally see someone carrying a naked iPhone in the wild, but it's rare. Not surprising if you've ever tried to get a close look at iPhone cases in an Apple store -- that section is always a mob scene.

Because Apple has body image issues. See the latest iMac for an example of the same kind of concept.
    I'm sorry but apple could have made iMac same thickness across and it would have allowed for a thinner maximum and better device as I care. Why not make the device the 1/2 mm thicker to offset it?
    blazar wrote: »
    If this phone doesn't do anything fundamentally different, i'm not sure I will buy it...

Maybe battery life and energy management would convince me...

Just a better camera, processor, and bigger size wont convince me since my 5s already does everything i care about.
    If you are getting a iPhone every year, there's your problem.

I thought I needed them to get into heaven or something... oh wait, that's absolution. Never mind.

They probably would have broken in a case anyway. This is just nature's way of telling you it's time to buy a skinny phone with a wart in the corner.
    I've always heard that unless you buy life proof/ otter box case it's useless(or feature adding like battery/camera)
    georgeip5 wrote: »
    iPods don't have mute switches, but it could explain the flash light being a normal (looking) one.
    iPods can change though...
  • Reply 56 of 60
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In the Netherlands, Vodafone just announced that it won’t be allowed to carry the iPhone 6, you mean.

This is a free country. Vodafone carries whatever it wants, none of those American "exclusive" market distortion deals.

(Yeah, I do find extremely amusing the way some capitalists go far enough as to advocate for obviously anti-capitalist practices because it's in the interest of one of their favorite investments. Also, there were exclusive deals for a while, but it seems the governments figured out it breaks the law after a period of typical governmental apathy.)

Still, the question wasn't "do you think Vodafone is correct, in a business sense", but "do you think it's legit, or just a marketing stunt".

• Reply 57 of 60
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

This is a free country. Vodafone carries whatever it wants, none of those American "exclusive" market distortion deals.

No, I mean that since they breached their contract, Apple would be pulling their right to carry. It’s satire only because Apple isn’t smart enough to do it.

• Reply 58 of 60
    M
    No, I mean that since they breached their contract, Apple would be pulling their right to carry. It’s satire only because Apple isn’t smart enough to do it.

I agree on the contract that very likely exists.
    OTH it makes you wonder how many people will be caught by surprise when the iPhone 6 is released this fall...
  • Reply 59 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

I'm sorry but apple could have made iMac same thickness across and it would have allowed for a thinner maximum and better device as I care. Why not make the device the 1/2 mm thicker to offset it?

Don't be sorry, I agree with you. What I meant is that the design of the iMac is an indication that Apple would rather make a device with some parts fat and other parts skinny rather than make it a uniform thickness that is neither fat nor skinny.

I think it's weird, but it's what they do.

• Reply 60 of 60

Don't be sorry, I agree with you. What I meant is that the design of the iMac is an indication that Apple would rather make a device with some parts fat and other parts skinny rather than make it a uniform thickness that is neither fat nor skinny.

I think it's weird, but it's what they do.

Averageist.