Report claims iMessage spam on the rise, but little evidence appears in support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I get them occasionally. But as I don't pay for texts or messages, it doesn't bother me that much..
    But I still have to maintain a fax, and I get a lot there. It's illegal to send fax spam.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    It's [I]Wired.[/I]

So, no.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But I still have to maintain a fax, and I get a lot there. It's illegal to send fax spam.

I remember seeing a prank somewhere that someone had taped together black construction paper in a loop and run it through a fax. Dial any number and their fax would print completely black sheets until it ran out of ink, paper, or both.

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It’s Wired. So, no.

I did like their expose on Ballmer. Bit of a shocker with the imagery, but…

• Reply 24 of 66
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

More bullshit FUD from the haters of Apple. I have not received one bit of spam from iMessage.

God, I hate such head-in-sand responses as yours. All of the "I never got one ever" responses are typical, but the infantile stuff like yours is absolutely ridiculous. Rather than hope Apple will work to stem a problem, you seek to have the problem ignored and spur those who are bothered by it to have to shout even louder.

• Reply 25 of 66
    Haven't had one yet...
  • Reply 26 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple's server-side email spam filter is still not nearly as good as Gmail's.

No one knows what advertising looks like better than Google.

They know the guy who sent it, where he is, his date of birth, social security number and his mother's maiden name.

• Reply 27 of 66
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

There is a small banner that shows if it's a text or iMessage.  It's visible in the screenshot fom the first post: 

Thanks, John.B. This is typical of what I receive. I would have included a pic in my post, but I always delete them.

• Reply 28 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

God, I hate such head-in-sand responses as yours. All of the "I never got one ever" responses are typical, but the infantile stuff like yours is absolutely ridiculous. Rather than hope Apple will work to stem a problem, you seek to have the problem ignored and spur those who are bothered by it to have to shout even louder.

A problem is a few hundred or more people having it happen, not a handful. This is a non-issue at this point.

• Reply 29 of 66

A problem is a few hundred or more people having it happen, not a handful. This is a non-issue at this point.

The important thing is that the minority cases are disproportionately vocal.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    I've received two spam iMessage texts ever. One was just like the one in the article photo.

I really hope Apple is being proactive in making sure this remains a very minor annoyance. I can easily see Spammers trying to do everything they can to break into iMessage more.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    I've received about 10 of these very similar spam messages. At first I got them once every two days around the same time. All from different iMessage accounts. I reported each one and I haven't had one since.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

When you're talking about 10s to 100s of million of iMessage users and billions of messages a few hundred individuals isn't even a handful. That isn't to say that Apple shouldn't work to prevent it but it's not a "problem" at that fraction of a fraction of a percent. That said, I bet the number of people that have received iMessage spam are at te very least in the tens of thousands.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member

since a few weeks, I get one spam every 6 or 7 days, from different unknown accounts.

I used iMessage only with my close family.

• Reply 34 of 66
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member

I've gotten at least two in the past few weeks, maybe three. One was definitely for sunglasses like in the picture. 

I don't have time to report spam. I just deleted the messages. But if Apple is worried about this, maybe they should make a one-click method of reporting spam, and/or have a whitelist like one of the readers suggested above. 

• Reply 35 of 66
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I heard a dude in Nebraska got one. So it's very, very prevalent and insidious, according to a local area analyst.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    For a short time I was receiving text spams but none for months now. E-mail spam has continued to increase no matter what I do.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cm477 wrote: »
    I've gotten at least two in the past few weeks, maybe three. One was definitely for sunglasses like in the picture. 

I don't have time to report spam. I just deleted the messages. But if Apple is worried about this, maybe they should make a one-click method of reporting spam, and/or have a whitelist like one of the readers suggested above. 

John Gruber of Daring Fireball wrote something similar about only getting them in the past month and they were all for knock off Ray-Ban sunglasses.

You can report them, but it's a really archaic setup at this point (or, rather, no setup)…
  • Reply 38 of 66

What is an "over the top messaging service"? Does anyone at this web site know how to write?

• Reply 39 of 66
    I can concur, myself and my wife have been seeing these for a few weeks. We thought restricting iMessage to the phone number would help, has not so far. I did reply with STOP, and have not see one since. But pretty sure as soon as I type this message . . .
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Have been getting a good number of these. They seem to be arriving via the email address attached to my apple id. I can't figure out how to turn off receiving imessages via this account (which is a hotmail account).