Apple updates iMovie for Mac, iWork suite for OS X and iOS with minor bug fixes [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

This. Of all the features they removed, this is the one I cannot live without. Until this feature returns, I have to continue using iWork '09, or InDesign (which is overkill for about 90% of the work I do, and I'm not nearly as quick using it as I am in Pages).

Yes, me too. This is the killer feature that keeps me on '09 though the lack of double-page spread features (view 2 pages together, set gutters differently on left/right pages) and continued glitches with styles (or are they just dumbed-down) are also big issues for me.

The Inspector issue is interesting. Apple's push to 'everything in one window' is inefficient in terms of screen space (you can't have an inspector in front of a currently uninteresting bit of the main document) and precludes multiple inspectors. If you routinely use two displays (laptop with external monitor here when not on the move) it's even more irritating. Like other commenters, I've always seen the inspectors as a real strength of iWork et al. It's a shame when these clear superiorities over Windows disappear.

• Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wish they would fix the bug in Preview that sometimes displays grayscale images in a pdf document as negative. I have not figured out what causes it because it only happens to some images. It might have something to do with the histogram balance of highlight shadow ratios, but it is really annoying. I have since quit using grayscale images inside of an otherwise full color document. I turn them into color images that just appear to be grayscale. The document previews fine in Acrobat and Chrome, just Safari and Preview mess it up.

I've never seen the negative issue in Preview, but then very early on I adopted the somewhat OCD practice of always converting images to the document colorspace via a trip through Photoshop before placing them. I don't know why I got in that habit. Maybe I didn't trust the conversion algorithms in PageMaker. Anyway, since I haven't seen the problem at all and it seems to be solving it for you, it's probably a good practice.

• Reply 23 of 33
    What happened to the promise of restoring missing features "in the next 6 months"?
    We are all still waiting.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by IndigoHomme View Post

We are all still waiting.

No, we all noticed that this happened.

• Reply 25 of 33
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I wish they'd sort out iMovie. Take a step back to the previous version and start again.

I hadn't used iMovie since it was upgraded but when I did, I found it to be terrible. I had to boot up my old iMac and use the previous version to get anything done.

• Reply 26 of 33
    mariomario Posts: 348member

Worse update batch ever. It failed to update on all 11 of my macs. I had to clear storeagent cache, delete corrupted cookies, pfiles, app store temp files etc and in the end it downloaded entire up update instead of delta (different app on different machines). This is disconcerting, and very reminiscent of Microsoft updated of old.

• Reply 27 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,263member
    While you're at your Mac anyway grab this little easter egg, Steve Jobs greatest speech, It's been right there all along.
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/08/20/famous-steve-jobs-speech-hidden-mac-easter-egg/
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

I'm not upgrading from the iWork 09 apps until they treat users seriously and give us back the useful features they got rid of. The new apps would be free for me, but I hardly think that's a good reason to swap my current pro level apps for Toytown candy floss.

Don't fuss. You can use iWork 09 and the latest iWork as you wish.

• Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Emailing a PDF is gone; you now need to go to the print dialog and 'print to PDF'. Why did they remove such an often used feature from the main menu?

What on earth are you talking about? Just click Share and choose a format. Your ignorance on such a basic feature makes me doubt the validity of all your other complaints.

• Reply 30 of 33
    Minor tweaks are nice, but bringing Pages back to practical usefulness is what's really required. Apple, PLEASE restore Table of Contents and linked text boxes to Pages.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dsuden View Post

Minor tweaks are nice, but bringing Pages back to practical usefulness is what's really required. Apple, PLEASE restore Table of Contents and linked text boxes to Pages.

And please restore the sidebar (page organizer) to Numbers, along with the ability to do proper page layout vis-a-vis a functional page preview. It's essentially impossible to get all my documents laid out correctly in the new version.

• Reply 32 of 33

The silence from Apple on this missing feature is deafening!

• Reply 33 of 33

Thank you guys for sharing such wonderful opinions, i find them quite useful.