Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'

Comments

• Reply 241 of 317
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The carries already payed full price for the phone. They can do pretty much what they want. They aren't going to drop the subsidized price of the iPhone 6 to $0 immediately or they'll lose money so Apple doesn't have to worry about heavy discounting. But like Tallest said..Apple does not discount the iPhone.

No they can’t do pretty much what they want, because they'd brand the phone, plus pre install software if they could.
  • Reply 242 of 317
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Hmm ... Where do they even find 2,400 competent journalists to invite?
  • Reply 243 of 317
    kibitzer wrote: »

From all over the world.
  • Reply 244 of 317
    ericbolt wrote: »
    Looks like the leaf of the apple logo in the image is casting a shadow like a sun dial would...

So Apple is bringing out a sundial? Got it. We better start all moving to sunnier climes. ????
  • Reply 245 of 317
    rogifan wrote: »
    He invitation is very vague , doesn't even have a time listed . Can't really read between the lines with this one .
    This is the full invitation:

Screen-Shot-2014-08-28-at-12.02.27-PM1-640x633.png

The leaf in the invitation represents an iMissile about to hit the ground.

Apple has teamed up with the US government, developed a state of the art nuclear weapon and is about to declare war on North Korea.
  • Reply 246 of 317
    rogifan wrote: »
    3 story structure being put up. Assuming its a demo area?

flintcenter.jpg

It's for all the Glassholes to watch the keynote away from normal people.
  • Reply 247 of 317
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,556member
    Apple's mastery of the media detailed. . .
    http://tinyurl.com/nbdc5dt

First time I've seen most of this described and there's tons of inside information. That Apple does all this with a relatively small team is amazing.
  • Reply 248 of 317
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,433moderator
    kibitzer wrote: »

They have a lot of staff too that keeps expanding. They need to ensure the media knows when to applaud and laugh so it's good to have staff to kick it off at the right times. They've done events with too many media people at smaller venues and they don't respond to the jokes the same.
  • Reply 249 of 317
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No they can’t do pretty much what they want, because they'd brand the phone, plus pre install software if they could.

With regards to price, which is the context we were talking about.

• Reply 250 of 317
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    [B]Wish We Could Say More but The FBI, NSA and US Secret Courts are Preventing Us....[/B]
    from telling the people of the USA WTF is going on.
    Therefore we are releasing the most secure computing device in history.....
  • Reply 251 of 317
    With regards to price, which is the context we were talking about.

Since when? I've long time heard that Apple controls the price that the carriers can charge. I remember when Walmart first started selling the iPhone the discount was a mere $1. What changed?
  • Reply 252 of 317
    Originally Posted by UncommonAsian View Post

If you mean like the Audi RSQ, I'm all for it.

Exactly, though with a higher ground clearance. I say spheres because the obvious answer–superconductor-based levitation–relies on the existence of a room temperature superconductor grid laid underneath all the roads in the nation. Which is a spectacular idea, of course, but is a little ambitious for Apple to undertake right now. Only because we don’t have a room temperature superconductor yet.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

We’re talking about the back to school special...

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

There isn’t a single competent journalist left in the world, so I don’t think that’s much of a concern.

• Reply 253 of 317
    We’re talking about the back to school special.

AT&T must not believe in 'back to school' specials, because when they were the sole carrier they never sold the iPhone at a discount, or am I remembering wrong?
  • Reply 254 of 317
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

That is what I was thinking - "I wish I could say more NOW, but that would ruin the surprise" 

but also likely a reference to the days of Steve Jobs and his famous, "One more thing" which was often delivered as if it were an afterthought but which generally turned out to be the biggest surprise or something entirely unexpected. 

But could be as simple as "Wish we could say more, but if we did, then this notice would not be in keeping with out traditional style of keeping things simple yet bold." 

Well, of course it means that as well. But when has Apple not had double meanings in their announcements? They always have a play on words in these things.

• Reply 255 of 317

...and to me the closeness of the top of the apple logo makes me think that when we pull out of the image it won't be the apple logo after all, it'll be a heart instead.

• Reply 256 of 317
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Marvin wrote: »
    They have a lot of staff too that keeps expanding. They need to ensure the media knows when to applaud and laugh so it's good to have staff to kick it off at the right times. They've done events with too many media people at smaller venues and they don't respond to the jokes the same.

In France they're called claqueurs. Or from P. T. Barnum's day ... shills.
  • Reply 257 of 317
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why do they need the Flint Center which seats 2,400 to announce new iPhones? Last year they announced the 5s at the campus venue which seats 300.

Because the 8th iPhone isn’t the 7th iPhone. The tock revision is always less impressive than the tick.

It's just occurred to me-this will actually be the ninth iPhone, because last year we had the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c. 

Hence 9.9.14. 

iPhone 9 - you heard it here first, folks.

• Reply 258 of 317
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

Click QUOTE under the post to which you're responding. Click the little Pencil icon in the lower left of your own post to edit it.

Indeed.

• Reply 259 of 317

'Wish we could say more'

Apple are introducing a new series of silent movies, in an effort to compete with Amazon.

• Reply 260 of 317
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

E -- Hot Air Balloon rides

F - Pony rides. 

G - Candy Floss.