Apple reportedly taps chipmaker NXP for 'iPhone 6' NFC solution

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    badmonk wrote: »
    As of today, Samsung, in a board room meeting, has decided to add a NFC chip to their next phones.

Haven't they included NFC previously? The problem isn't adding the HW, it's making a viable service. That's what takes partners who trust your word and whom you can build a relationship with.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Haven't they included NFC previously? The problem isn't adding the HW, it's making a viable service. That's what takes partners who trust your word and whom you can build a relationship with.

Google was supposed to set up partnerships, and build relationships, but it seems like the whole 'Google Wallet' project has been put off to the wayside.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    can someone tell me where the NFC receiver will be located on the aluminum iphone case?
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Originally Posted by Truffol View Post

can someone tell me where the NFC receiver will be located on the aluminum iphone case?

On the top, facing upward, like all the old classic RF transmitter devices (GameBoy, Newton, etc.).

• Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Truffol View Post

NFC is kind of nasty to integrate because the antenna has to be large. It's probably in the touchscreen.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/04/20/apple_awarded_patent_for_rfid_tag_reader_in_touchscreen_devices

• Reply 26 of 33
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

On the top, facing upward, like all the old classic RF transmitter devices (GameBoy, Newton, etc.).

• Reply 27 of 33
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    roake wrote: »
    "One possible stopgap could be a hybrid setup using either on-board NFC or, if the user does not own a new iPhone, a combination of Bluetooth Low Energy and wireless data."

I see it in reverse. NFC is the stopgap solution.

Too right. iBeacon is a far more advanced prospect which tracks the purchase decision from before the customer enters the shop.

NFC adoption only makes sense to address the multitude of existing terminals.

McD
  • Reply 28 of 33
    mcdave wrote: »
    Too right. iBeacon is a far more advanced prospect which tracks the purchase decision from before the customer enters the shop.

NFC adoption only makes sense to address the multitude of existing terminals.

McD

iBeacons are not more advanced than NFC and NFC isn't a stopgap while they wait for BT to be adopted.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    iBeacons are not more advanced than NFC and NFC isn't a stopgap while they wait for BT to be adopted.
    So you think a technology which does more and encapsulates everything another technology does isn't more advanced? How so?

And BLE is more widely deployed, even on Android.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    So you think a technology which does more and encapsulates everything another technology does isn't more advanced? How so?

BLE may be more widely deployed in phones but NFC is far more widely deployed in actual payment kiosks in the wild.
  • Reply 31 of 33

1) BT doesn't encapsulate everything that that NFC offers. Not even close. They are both used for communication but different types of communication.

2) iBeacons doesn't equate to BLE. iBeacons simply use BLE. Referring to iBeacons as BLE makes no sense.

Lots of things are more widely deployed than other things but that doesn't mean their technology shouldn't ever be adopted.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    fuzzypaws wrote: »
    BLE may be more widely deployed in phones but NFC is far more widely deployed in actual payment kiosks in the wild.

As I acknowledged in my original post though I haven't checked the specs of the most popular terminals for BLE compatibility.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    1) BT doesn't encapsulate everything that that NFC offers. Not even close. They are both used for communication but different types of communication.

2) iBeacons doesn't equate to BLE. iBeacons simply use BLE. Referring to iBeacons as BLE makes no sense.
    Lots of things are more widely deployed than other things but that doesn't mean their technology shouldn't ever be adopted.

1). Possibly not though we were focussing on POS in this forum and here iBeacon has more to offer than NFC which is limited to "Near".

2) Never said it did, never referred to BLE as iBeacon. Currently, iBeacon is built on BLE.

iBeacon is just a software update for Android users...oh, I see your point.