Analyst who cried sapphire takes another swing, despite whiffing on iPhone 6 predictions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    Sapphire or not, can’t wait to molest me an iPhone 6 in a store.
    [SIZE=72px]CAN WE PLEASE FIRE THESE ANALYSTS? OR SOMETHING? WHAT IS THE POINT OF A JOB IF YOU DON’T HAVE TO DO IT WELL?[/SIZE]
    Molest? That's the word you chose to use? Smh.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I’ll molest a 5.5”; I’ll fondle a 4.7”. One implies lack of desire. Perhaps more accurately, the 5.5” will molest me.

• Reply 23 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’ll molest a 5.5”; I’ll fondle a 4.7”. One implies lack of desire. Perhaps more accurately, the 5.5” will molest me.

You might want to get there after hours then ;) 

• Reply 24 of 66
    It's on the base Apple Watch also, just not the sport. 

I think the sensors lenses are probably sapphire, just not the top cover, which is essentially GG3.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    You might want to get there after hours then ;) 

It's a good thing is moisture resistant.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    So the ?Watch has 802.11b/g. I'm surprised by this!
  • Reply 27 of 66

As Sundance might say  - 'You just keep thinking Butch (Margolis), that's what you're good at'

• Reply 28 of 66
    The doubt I have is what is the cover of the iPhone 6 made of? What is ion-strengthened glass? Is it a new, unique glass? Or is it gorilla glass?
  • Reply 29 of 66
    The doubt I have is what is the cover of the iPhone 6 made of? What is ion-strengthened glass? Is it a new, unique glass? Or is it gorilla glass?

It's Gorilla Glass 3. It's ion-infused alkali-aluminosilicate sheet toughened glass.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Yeah, I wouldn't give gorilla glass any press, either, use it or not.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    I wonder why they didn't just say new gorilla glass. That would have been better for marketing due to familiarity with existing gorilla glass products. Instead we get ion strengthened glass.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Analysts are never wrong. Apple switch at the last minute to spite him.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    To be fair, Apple doubled the world's production of sapphire with the Mesa plant. Why that much capacity for just buttons and watch covers?

I believe Apple was only using something like $17 million worth of sapphire from Rubicon prior to GTAT firing up.

Even if we assume that Apple needs $50 million worth of sapphire for the iPhone line and the Watch, it makes no sense to invest hundreds of millions the Mesa plant and loan $578 million which they may not get back if Apple isn't buying large quantities of sapphire from GTAT.

1800 employees. Million square feet facility. 2000 ovens. For some lens covers, home buttons and a watch to launch in 2015? Something's up.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'd love to hear from Relic right now. We need a Swissy perspective.

Hope she is doing well.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Sorry guys screwed up editing.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Sapphire or not, can’t wait to molest me an iPhone 6 in a store.

Not up for a little 'molesting plus'???

oh…I forgot, you hate the 'Hagrid' model, huh? ;-)

• Reply 37 of 66

iPhone 6S - S will be for Sapphire (and hopefully also wireleSS charging) this time, like 4S was for Siri and 5S was for Security. 

• Reply 38 of 66
    kind of nice how the glass curves around at the edges. Maybe sapphire will be used when the whole casing becomes glass and the metal trim is ditched (iPhone 7?)...if that's even possible from a technical standpoint.
  • Reply 39 of 66

Ya' know, I just don't care…been carrying this brickuva iPhone4 in my pocket

with coins and keys and crap and no case for 4 years,

and I just don't see the point of worrying, given how it still looks.  Finger oils are more of a distraction,

and I don't much care about that, either.  It's like Ive (?) told us about the iPad:  "toss it in your car, its

designed to be used, not babied"…or words to that effect.

So, for me anyhow, they are tough enough already, so any amount of tougher is cool.

…does seem a strange strategy, though, to NOT put the toughest material

on the model that will get the most abuse.  

That right there subtly says more about the 'fashion focus' than anything else could.

• Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

you sure you can even do that one-handed?