Blockbuster start for iPhone 6 suggests Apple on track to sell 60M phones in December quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

On the other hand I might very well favor an "iPhone 6 minus" (all the good stuff with the 5s size). 

Heh - "iPhone 6 minus" - heh.

But honestly, that's probably my ideal phone too. Couldn't they just stuff an NFC chip in 5s's from now on?

• Reply 22 of 43
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

there were a “billion” android devices “sold” in 2013.

Fixed.

• Reply 23 of 43

And the reaction on Wall Street? The stock drops. LOL... Wall Street is a den of thieves.

• Reply 24 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And the reaction on Wall Street? The stock drops. LOL... Wall Street is a den of thieves.

I was thinking the same thing. I hate these unrealistic expectations. If Apple sells 59.9 million then the stock will drop 40 points in one day. 

• Reply 25 of 43
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

there were a billion android devices sold in 2013.

Not smart phones.

• Reply 26 of 43
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

You get 50% of the top 50% of wage earners in the world, forever... that's a big play).

And you get 50% of the remaining 50% the next year.  And Apple's been doing just that for years already, so now it's got 90%+ of the high wage earners who upgrade every two years and now Apple is starting to take in new entrants into the growing global middle-class.  These new iPhone 6 models, the huge number of people ready to upgrade to them this year, the upgrades to these iPhone 6 models that will come next year, and the 150 million people who bought an iPhone in 2013 who will be ready to upgrade to those iPhone 6S/PlusS models (or whatever they are called) will keep Apple growing nicely for the next two years.  After that, the company will need a next new thing, but it's lining up the ducks for that day with HealthKit, HomeKit, Apple Watch, Apple Pay, CarPlay, etc.  And some stuff that hasn't even been rumored yet, according to Mr. Cook.

• Reply 27 of 43

Originally Posted by TallestSkil

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

there were a “billion” android devices “sold” in 2013.

Fixed.

AdonisSMU did not really answer my question. And, what did you really fix? :) Please explain.

• Reply 28 of 43

The big question... can 60 million phones be manufactured during fiscal Q1.

• Reply 29 of 43
    adonissmu wrote: »
    there were a billion android devices sold in 2013.

Yes but most of them were cheap, low quality devices? How many of Samsung's sales were of their flagship Galaxy S range?
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Yes but most of them were cheap, low quality devices? How many of Samsung's sales were of their flagship Galaxy S range?

Their flagship took a direct hit from a torpedo.

• Reply 31 of 43

60M?   Maybe they will sell this many, but going by the shortfall of some phones at pre-order time, they sure as hell aren't going to deliver anywhere near this many...

I ordered 2 plus phones at 11:52pm, and had order confirmations from AT&T by 11:54pm.    I checked today, and my shipping dates have slid by another week, from Oct 2nd to Oct 10th at the earliest.    Obviously AT&T had zero stock of the larger phones on hand.    Does anyone who pre-ordered from AT&T show earlier delivery for the plus models?   

Sorry, know this is off topic, but I'm still a little irked.   First time in years that I will not see a new phone by the initial debut date.

• Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

Where are you getting your numbers from? There were a billion smartphones shipped in 2013 between all device makers. Perhaps that's what you meant? Also, shipments don't equate to sales.

Quote from InformationWeek

"Samsung is far and away the world's leading supplier of smartphones. The company shipped 82 million during the fourth quarter of 2013 and 313.9 million over the entire year."

source: http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/mobile-business/1-billion-smartphones-shipped-in-2013/d/d-id/1113603

Read what I said again. Yes Sammy sold 300+ million but those numbers are somewhat liberal IMO because you could label any android phone as a smart phone. 

• Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

Read what I said again. Yes Sammy sold 300+ million but those numbers are somewhat liberal IMO because you could label any android phone as a smart phone. 

I did. It says, and I quote:

"there were a billion android devices sold in 2013."

Unless, I'm missing another post that rephrases that sentence? I agree that Sammy's numbers are liberal and in no way accurate. 

• Reply 34 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    chadbag wrote: »
    I wonder how many "high end" Android phones (the real smartphones in the Android camp) will be sold in the December quarter across all brands...

Based on the data showing the vast majority of Android phones are used by those less than 13 years old, not too many.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Can someone please tell, for comparison, how many devices Samsung had sold on its first day (S3 or S4 or S5)?

Just want to see how is the pulse for Apple products. 

Not sure if they have data on first day sales.  I believe the Samsung Note 3 hit 10 million units in 60 days.  Prorating that to a quarter would be roughly 15mil in a quarter so at the 60mil expectation the iPhone lineup is expected to turn 4x the numbers the Note 3 did.  The S5 did 11 mil in its first month but I think it tapered fairly quickly to where 33 mil/qtr wouldn't be accurate.

Then again, if you are going to lump the 6 and 6 plus together as one sales figure between the two phones, I guess you have to start including multiple Samsung phones in their sales number as well.

• Reply 36 of 43
    frood wrote: »
    Not sure if they have data on first day sales.  I believe the Samsung Note 3 hit 10 million units in 60 days.  Prorating that to a quarter would be roughly 15mil in a quarter so at the 60mil expectation the iPhone lineup is expected to turn 4x the numbers the Note 3 did.  The S5 did 11 mil in its first month but I think it tapered fairly quickly to where 33 mil/qtr wouldn't be accurate.

Then again, if you are going to lump the 6 and 6 plus together as one sales figure between the two phones, I guess you have to start including multiple Samsung phones in their sales number as well.

Does Samsung even report sales figures for this sort of thing? They used to only report units shipped (to stores) rather than units sold to customers, whereas Apple reports units sold to customers, which of course is a much better indicator of a product's actual success but may not look as deceptively impressive.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

And you get 50% ....who bought an iPhone in 2013 who will be ready to upgrade to those iPhone 6S/PlusS models (or whatever they are called) will keep Apple growing nicely for the next two years.  ...

Would be great if that was a 4'' phone with this years technology (2015).

• Reply 38 of 43
    I have some concerns about what appears to be an increasing number of sales each year apparently being concentrated more and more at each September. There may be unforeseen consequences . It has been reported that global shipping movements are being delayed as Apple had taken them already to ship so many phones. Presumably with a such a higher short demand factories will be taking on extra staff and the when the high demand reduces in a few months, many temporary staff will loose their jobs. How is quality maintained in such situations? Mobile phone retail sellers will also have to try to manage a big peak in demand. There have been many reports of problems. So whilst It is good that Apple are set to have the best quarter's phone sales ever, I think it would be better in the long run that manufacturing and sales were more evenly spread over the whole year. With so many wanting to upgrade immediately, this seems unlikely to happen.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jungmark wrote: »
    What's your point. He asked for Galaxy numbers.

I'm surprised analysts didn't guess elevenity billion. I think 60 is reachable if China is included for at least a month or two in the Dec qtr.

Bloomberg, via a state-owned Chinese business newspaper, is saying the iPhone 6 won't be going on sale in China this year. Supposedly Apple has been unable to reach agreement with the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-16/china-mobile-expands-4g-rollout-amid-phone-subsidy-cuts.html
  • Reply 40 of 43
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Bloomberg, via a state-owned Chinese business newspaper, is saying the iPhone 6 won't be going on sale in China this year. Supposedly Apple has been unable to reach agreement with the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-16/china-mobile-expands-4g-rollout-amid-phone-subsidy-cuts.html

"May" have to wait until next year, not "will"... Just more speculation.