Apple's new Watch, Apple Pay and iPhone 6 met with nervous mocking by competitors

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    DED should next turn his editorial attention to the nervous mocking by forum trolls.

I wouldn't be too harsh on GTR.

I know his suggestions for the iPhone are somewhat outlandish, but generally speaking, his heart's in the right place.

Edit: of course, if he and I had ?Watches, he could send me his heartbeat with his location and I could verify that his heart is in the right place.
  • Reply 42 of 99
    Apple Pay: make hay.

Apple Watch: Newton botch.

I didn't botch nothing.

So you did botch something. Would you like to tell us what?
  • Reply 43 of 99
    hopeless wrote: »
    I bet Samsung comes up with a new-and-improved NFC payment system (perhaps trying to jumpstart Google's weak effort) and make it the centerpiece of the Galaxy 15 (or whatever iteration they are on by next summer). It won't be as secure because the finger ID thing is hard to duplicate and the hardware solution Apple is using is unique, but they won't care. They will sell it as "better than Apple" and people who are still with Samsung will use it, probably not realizing that they are giving up all of their purchase history to Samsung and Google.

I'm sure Samsung is already hard at work on that right now. Still not sure how they will go with convincing the banks to get on board to the same extent they are with Apple but then again I'm sure the banks don't want to be tied only to Apple so they may just get on board with Samsung to keep their options open.
  • Reply 44 of 99
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Apple Watch and Goodgle Glass- both are niche products which are very stupid. A 22K gold exercise watch- really? With a crown?  And needs to be charged every single night? Reading emails on a 1" screen? Laughable.

• Reply 45 of 99
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Apple Watch and Goodgle Glass- both are niche products which are very stupid. A 22K gold exercise watch- really? With a crown?  And needs to be charged every single night? Reading emails on a 1" screen? Laughable.
    Yeah, because a 22k gold version is the only version anyone can get. It could fail, but odds are this won't be a failure.
  • Reply 46 of 99
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member

Or you could, you know, buy the stainless or aluminum model and read emails on your iPhone...
  • Reply 47 of 99

It's the maps which are priceless. Which would you rather do: peer at your 1.5" watch and twiddle your knob to zoom in and out constantly, or use your 5.5" iPhone and effortlessly swipe and pinch?
  • Reply 48 of 99
    It's the maps which are priceless. Which would you rather do: peer at your 1.5" watch and twiddle your knob to zoom in and out constantly, or use your 5.5" iPhone and effortlessly swipe and pinch?
    Neither. I would rather it use haptic feedback to tell me which way to turn while walking, jogging or riding a bike.
  • Reply 49 of 99
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This year, Samsung released a new batch of ads, including one that claimed the ... company's Galaxy Note product is "more innovative" because it does stylus handwritten recognition like Apple's Newton Message Pad from 1994, and "more fun" because it can run an Android port of a DJ app that originated on iOS.

The doublethink is Orwellian.

• Reply 50 of 99
    Apple Pay: make hay.
    Apple Watch: Newton botch.

I didn't botch nothing.

I wasn't referring to you!

I was calling to mind the Apple Newton that DED referenced and which Jobs put out of its misery with his second coming.

But I think you knew that, and were pulling my leg.

Perhaps when Cook resigns and hands the reigns over to Ballmer, he will do the decent thing with the ?Watch.

Only kidding! Ballmer-Jobs Mark 2; I'm sure TS has a suitable gif for that.

So you did botch something. Would you like to tell us what?

No need to be so heavy handed when so few understand the gravity of the situation.
  • Reply 51 of 99
    hopeless wrote: »
    Neither. I would rather it use haptic feedback to tell me which way to turn while walking, jogging or riding a bike.

So the crown is redundant, as you wouldn't use it.
  • Reply 52 of 99
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I notice that all the people in the ?Watch photos have bare arms and look pretty sporty. Apple are selling this as a fitness/health device.

If you wear shirts, you don't want to wear a thick watch, as they catch all the time on your cuffs.

I will happily shorten all of my sleeves.

• Reply 53 of 99
    pmz wrote: »
    I notice that all the people in the ?Watch photos have bare arms and look pretty sporty. Apple are selling this as a fitness/health device.

If you wear shirts, you don't want to wear a thick watch, as they catch all the time on your cuffs.

I will happily shorten all of my sleeves.

Then your Apple devotion knows no bounds!

Mine is more conditional on Apple making products with points.
  • Reply 54 of 99
    Quote:

I don't think that is the point....or even a point.

Start down that road, and you can start arguing why you use an iPhone vs. iPad vs. Mac. The point, each device is capable in its own way. The AppleWatch, instead of being crippled, is extremely functional. You don't need to sell anyone on the idea that turning a crown to zoom in and out on a Map on a 1.5" screen is not better or even as good as on an iPhone with two fingers.....it was never meant to be.

The watch is meant for Glances, and taptic feedback it will provide as a wearable. Thats where the function is. But it can't NOT have a way to use Maps.

• Reply 55 of 99
    Quote:

It has more of a "point" than I could have imagined honestly.

What you are doing is attempting to bait people into the iPad vs. iPhone argument, which (how ironic) is pointless.

• Reply 56 of 99
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Of course, if he and I had ?Watches, he could send me his heartbeat with his location and I could verify that his heart is in the right place.

That would only confirm if my heartBEATS were in the right places, which would need to be confirmed by a doctor.

Dr Dre, that is.
  • Reply 57 of 99
    pmz wrote: »

It has more of a "point" than I could have imagined honestly.

What you are doing is attempting to bait people into the iPad vs. iPhone argument, which (how ironic) is pointless.

Not really. Maps are very usable on both an iPhone and an iPad. They're particularly lovely on an iPad, but still clear and easy to use on an iPhone. Whereas on the ?Watch, they're not.

As for the idea of the ?Watch being a place for Glances, why not just use the iPhone? I know we're supposed to be getting lazier by the second, but it's not much of an effort to raise your iPhone a few inches.
  • Reply 58 of 99
    I wouldn't use the crown to zoom in on maps for no reason when I have my phone with me when there is a better use case for having maps on my wrist. You're so convinced this watch will fail but you're trying to pit one form factor vs another. They should be used differently for different things. Maybe it will forever seem useless to you, but I bet you felt that way about the iPad, too.
  • Reply 59 of 99
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

too bad DED did not pick up (yet) on the snob blather from the high-end fashion watch people in Europe. except from their literal jewelry - diamond studded watch cases etc which Apple does not compete with - their high-end brand-ID product demand is about to collapse as the APhone becomes the latest status symbol of a digital era. what are they going to sell to their trendy buyers under 40? an Android anything? a Samsung Rolex? Hah!

• Reply 60 of 99
    iaeen wrote: »
    The beauty of Apple Pay is that it works with any NFC POS device. .

I read the above and thought to myself, "Besides the 'any POS devices' there will be the fantastical iDevices too!

iaeen wrote: »
    The more platforms there are out there trying to force vendors to modernize, the better off we are as consumers (and the better off Apple is when NFC payments become universal).

True, however I would want every terminal to have the following printed where every customer would read it: "The following advances in privacy and security is brought to you by the Apple Company. Eat shit and die all you haters!"