Apple releases new OS X Yosemite betas for developers, public beta participants

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36

Because Chrome is better?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

OK. Please list 3 ways how it's "better".

I switched to Chrome for many months and used it as my primary browser. Eventually I switched back to Safari for the tighter OS integration, such as iCloud Keychain.

Not sure I can list three, and yes I would love to use it for the tighter integration as you said. But I try to give it a chance and it can't get warmed up with it.

These are the reasons that keep me at Chrome

a) chrome has more extensions

b) chrome has (for me) the better development features

c) it's really important for me to see the full URL which Safari (now) hides

c1) It's really important for me to see where a links leads to, Chrome displays that in the lower left, Safari hides it.

d) Especially the new version is really not good on my eyes. Run it in full screen, I can't easily distinguish where tabs are, bookmark row, etc. It all doesn't look nice. I feel the new look and feel is a step back.

e) Of course, contrary, I feel Chrome has the nice user interface - even seeing Favicons in the bookmark bar is something I like, something impossible in Safari (or perhaps find an extension, not sure)

f) I do like the fact that you can link different google accounts to different chrome accounts which is REALLY handy if you use different set of logins for the same pages (ie for different business / websites accounts etc). I use this feature a lot. New window with different google user logged into different gmail, yahoo, webmaster tools, facebook, etc. With one click you logged into all these sites with your other user id.

Of course, a lot of it is how you are used to do things. When I started development on Mac (previously windows) I've tried Safari but features like "view source" where really abysmal.  Now its hard for me to change over to Safari as I have to relearn  a lot. But, read above, there are reasons that keep me from making the investment to teach myself Safari (development). I did of course use Firebug a lot on Firefox, but if I'd be asked to go back there it would take me a while to get efficient at it again.

A lot of times in the past when I did switch over to Safari (to enjoy the tighter integration also, share open tabs with iOS devices, etc) Safari would develop a fault, like slow loading times - this was an issue I had for a while where every page load would have a second or so before Safari even did anything. That has since been resolved but I remember that was a deal breaker a few years ago.

It's just for me Chrome works much better in every way. I give up integration of some sorts and I wouldn't like to but Safari just doesn't fit my bill.

Yes it has advantages, smoother scrolling, slightly better battery life. But apart of this, not sure. Just before I thought I'd give it a try again, but the new interface really put me off. That and that I couldn't figure out how to make it remember passwords on pages that have autocomplete off (chrome just install autocomplete=on extension) despite the fact that in the past Safari had a setting for this which seems now gone (and iOS has this setting too).

So after half an hour I switched back to Chrome again. 

Maybe there'll be a time when I see that Safari is better suited for me and then I'll make the switch - for now Chrome wins and btw it runs fine on my Yosemite update from this morning - have no issues at all.

• Reply 22 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    krawall wrote: »
    Because Chrome is better?
    Not sure I can list three, and yes I would love to use it for the tighter integration as you said. But I try to give it a chance and it can't get warmed up with it.

These are the reasons that keep me at Chrome

Try selecting 'Show Tool Bar' under View Menu ...
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Try selecting 'Show Tool Bar' under View Menu ...

Right... status bar, got it. I like Chrome's implementation better here because it only shows up when you hover over a link vs Safari reserves a full white line for it removing usuable browsing space -  but better than nothing, true. 

Still haven't found a way to always show the full URL in the location field (CMD-L). All I get is the centered domain name. Only when I click on it the full URL appears.

• Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SuaSponte View Post

Breaks Chrome and team Viewer. please don't make me use safari mr apple image

They both work fine for me.  We use Teamviewer 9 and I use chrome 37.0.2062.120.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Why would you use Chrome on a Mac when you have Safari? Work for Google?

I use Chrome in a very limited situation because we have a website for our company that we do a lot of our work in and it uses SSL.  Since beta 1, Safari doesn't remember to reference my keychain to used my stored credentials which means a lot of logins for plenty of sections on this website when we do things.  I launch chrome and it uses my login just for the initial prompt and it always remembers it.  This was never an issue in previous versions of OS X and still an issue in DP8.  However the logins in Safari when using our website have been greatly reduced, so that tells me that they are finding what causes it and are getting close to eradicating the bug.  Reseting the keychain doesn't help.  

• Reply 25 of 36
    Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

a) chrome has more extensions

What does Chrome have that Safari doesn’t?

b) chrome has (for me) the better development features

How?

Nope.

c1) It's really important for me to see where a links leads to, Chrome displays that in the lower left, Safari hides it.

Completely and utterly wrong. Could you maybe try a little harder, both in trolling and in ACTUALLY USING THE SOFTWARE IN QUESTION.

d) Especially the new version is really not good on my eyes. Run it in full screen, I can't easily distinguish where tabs are, bookmark row, etc. It all doesn't look nice. I feel the new look and feel is a step back.

e) Of course, contrary, I feel Chrome has the nice user interface - even seeing Favicons in the bookmark bar is something I like, something impossible in Safari (or perhaps find an extension, not sure)

The idea behind a browser is to remove the clutter from the UI. The URL’s content is the focus.

f) I do like the fact that you can link different google accounts to different chrome accounts which is REALLY handy if you use different set of logins for the same pages (ie for different business / websites accounts etc). 

I guess if you like being Google’s whore this would be important.

I've tried Safari but features like "view source" where really abysmal.

Yeah, I’m sure¡ :rolleyes:

That and that I couldn't figure out how to make it remember passwords on pages that have autocomplete off (chrome just install autocomplete=on extension) despite the fact that in the past Safari had a setting for this which seems now gone (and iOS has this setting too).

What this seems to boil down to is your complete refusal to figure anything out and then just leaving because you’re too lazy to go to the Menu Bar or Preferences window for anything.

The setting is gone because Safari now does it all the time.

• Reply 26 of 36

Chrome is lovely if you love having every bit of your personal data squeezed out of you and resold to every company/government/entity who wishes to purchase it. Google has stated that the typical Google consumer is worth, on average, about $3,000 annually. And don't feed me the BS about Apple doing the same thing, because they don't. If you don't care that every personally identifiable aspect of your life is monitored, categorized, and resold.... then enjoy Chrome. But for me, I refuse to participate in their machine. I couldn't care less if they were giving away "free" Ferrari's, I'm not going to aid them in perpetuating really bad business relationships with their clients (aka us).

• Reply 27 of 36
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

i'm still having trouble with mail app. in fact, it's completely useless on my machine for composing/replying/forwarding anything. it makes for a good reader, though.

i've sent many reports/ much feedback to apple and they don't seem to have rectified the problem.

i'm just wondering if anyone else is having trouble with apple's mail app.

• Reply 28 of 36

Yes, my Exchange email is completely useless with the same issues- no ability to reply, forward or compose. I sent a scathing Feedback report. I expected the new Public Beta to have LESS bugs and make me feel more confident in an alpha release. Now I'll be using Outlook for the rest of the day *forehead>desk* and likely hoping back into Mavericks on my partition until the bug is fully resolved.... I hate Outlook. I dislike using the browser application for checking mail. 

Oddly, my POP account works just fine...

I was thrilled about the proposed updates to  Mail, but I have yet to find features such as highlighting text. And now it's inoperable during a business day. 

• Reply 29 of 36
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    zonk3r wrote: »
    I'd really love if Apple would fix the color calibration problem introduced in Mavericks.  It's completely reproducible:

Have two accounts on the same computer.  Log into one account.  Then log into the other using Fast User Switching.  You will notice your screen colors will become much lighter.  Log out of both accounts and log back into either single account and it goes back to normal.  Very strange.  Anyone running Yosemite beta/dev care to test to reproduce?  If it does it, mind filing a bug?

For lots of users it is a minor nuisance but I work in printing and it is a real problem.  :(

Thanks!
    If it's the same issue I've had, try switching to Login Window and selecting the account there instead of directly Fast User Switching between accounts. Haven't checked yet if it's fixed on Yosemite.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SuaSponte View Post

Breaks Chrome and team Viewer. please don't make me use safari mr apple image

I'm using Chrome Canary 64-bit here, and it survived the upgrade.

• Reply 31 of 36

Chrome is better if you use ANY device other than Apple. Many people use Windows computers too,  there's no Safari on them to sync with. Plus the extensions on Chrome are much better and more varied. 

• Reply 32 of 36

I've noticed that Mail still uses more energy than any other app.. even though it is sitting there doing nothing (with nothing in it's Activity Window).

If I use Activity Monitor and look at the energy tab, Mail is always at the top, with energy use usually over 100.

There is no way that mail should ever show up as more than a tiny blip.. it simply shouldn't have much work to do.

• Reply 33 of 36
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

Many people use Windows computers too,  there's no Safari on them to sync with. 

Safari 5. Oh, right, no modern password lookup...

Plus the extensions on Chrome are much better and more varied.  

How.

• Reply 34 of 36

A pox on both their houses!

And by that I mean Safari and Chrome.  I'm sorry, neither of those browsers holds a candle compared to Firefox.  Nowhere close to the number of useful extensions, completely lacking when it comes to configurability, garbage user interfaces, just not up to actually handling browsing.

• Reply 35 of 36
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

...holds a candle compared to Firefox. 

lol. Firefox has been a bloated mess since version 4.

• Reply 36 of 36

Quote:

?lol. Firefox has been a bloated mess since version 4.

Yep, Firefox has become as bloated, slow and buggy as the original Mozilla browser (based on Netscape).  No doubt we'll soon see a new browser from the Mozilla team that will promise to be all the things Firefox was to it's predecessor (maybe it'll be as 'snappy' as Safari, unlikely!).