Apple to collect swipe fees from banks for Apple Pay transactions - report

Comments

• Reply 161 of 229
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If some of us wish to change those rules, it should be voted on by all of us.

Not if those rules explicitly pertain to only a few. California has no say in Nebraska’s state laws, for example.

It's called democracy. 

Something about this coming from a monarchy is funny.

• Reply 162 of 229
    If some of us wish to change those rules, it should be voted on by all of us.

Not if those rules explicitly pertain to only a few. California has no say in Nebraska’s state laws, for example.
    It's called democracy. 

Something about this coming from a monarchy is funny.

That's the problem. These changes will have huge implications for all of us, not just the Scots. It's not right that only they have a vote, and the blame can be laid squarely on the shoulders of David Cameron, our sorry excuse of a Prime Minister.
  • Reply 163 of 229
    It's not right that only they have a vote.
    Britain did vote. They said no.

Seriously though, if you let everypne in the UK vote Scotland would never be allowed its independence.
  • Reply 164 of 229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm pretty sure haggis exports aren't that significant.

but the oil does- the U.K. is spending a lot of the oil money outside of Scotland- where it is coming from

• Reply 165 of 229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Go for it, Scotland... and Ireland is next.

most of ireland is already free and not a part of the U.K

• Reply 166 of 229
    revenant wrote: »

most of ireland is already free and not a part of the U.K

I assume he means Northern Ireland. Frankly, I hate when smaller islands are split like that so I say give to the dominance party. Northern Ireland becomes part of Ireland and Haiti becomes part of Dominican Republic, and France gets Saint Martin (sorry [@]PhilBoogie[/@]).

On a more depressing note, have you seen the satellite images of what Haitians have done their part of the island. I've been there. It's upsetting. Reminds me of how the Polynesians decimated Easter Island and eventually ruined the homeostasis they had with their environment.

My understanding is they would pull up a tree and create some fire in a small pit in the ground which would simply smolder the wood slowly for days with gravity working to pull it down until it all became a big piece of charcoal they could burn for a longer period of time. I never saw this in action so I don't know.
  • Reply 167 of 229
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Frankly, I hate when smaller islands are split like that so I say give to the dominance party. Northern Ireland becomes part of Ireland and Haiti becomes part of Dominican Republic, and France gets Saint Martin (sorry [@]PhilBoogie[/@]).

No worries, we'll still have two more constituent countries.
    On a more depressing note, have you seen the satellite images of what Haitians have done their part of the island. I've been there. It's upsetting. Reminds me of how the Polynesians decimated Easter Island and eventually ruined the homeostasis they had with their environment.

My understanding is they would pull up a tree and create some fire in a small pit in the ground which would simply smolder the wood slowly for days with gravity working to pull it down until it all became a big piece of charcoal they could burn for a longer period of time. I never saw this in action so I don't know.

Good question, so I searched. Only to read depressing things (charcoal is their primary fuel source):
    Deforestation in Haiti is a severe environmental problem. In 1923, over 60% of Haiti's land was forested; by 2006, less than 2% of the land was forested.
    As the indigenous population dwindled, African slave labor became vital to Saint-Domingue’s economic development. Slaves arrived by the tens of thousands as coffee and sugar production boomed. Under French colonial rule, nearly 800,000 slaves arrived from Africa, accounting for a third of the entire Atlantic slave trade. Many died from disease and the harsh conditions of the sugar and coffee plantations. Statistics show that there was a complete turnover in the slave population every 20 years. Despite these losses, by 1789 slaves outnumbered the free population four-to-one?452,000 slaves in a population of 520,000.
    Only 11.5 percent of the land is used for permanent crops. Irrigation is limited, and the government’s recent commitment to irrigating 40,000 hectares within five years was called off with only 5,600 hectares improved.
    Deficient sanitation systems, poor nutrition, and inadequate health services have pushed Haiti to the bottom of the World Bank’s rankings of health indicators.
    In terms of health care spending, Haiti ranks last in the western hemisphere. Economic instability has limited any growth in this area. Per capita, Haiti spends about US$83 annually on health care. There are 25 physicians and 11 nurses per 100,000 population.

Here's a video, not recorded in Haiti but somewhere in the US, on burning the stump (narrated by Bil Clinton)

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 168 of 229
    Quote:

I assume he means Northern Ireland. Frankly, I hate when smaller islands are split like that so I say give to the dominance party. Northern Ireland becomes part of Ireland and Haiti becomes part of Dominican Republic, and France gets Saint Martin (sorry @PhilBoogie).

Thanks for Saint-Martin. 

Incidentally, the story of the border diving Saint-Martin between France and Netherlands (Saint-Martin is the smallest island so divided) is somewhat chaotic. I've written, for those you read French, an article on this subject, with various historical maps showing the motions of the borderline. http://www.geomag.fr/sites/default/files/67_96.pdf

• Reply 169 of 229
    eauvive wrote: »
    Thanks for Saint-Martin. 

No problem. Can I can get you anything else? France's failed attempt at a trojan horse designed to attack America, per chance? :D

Incidentally, the story of the border diving Saint-Martin between France and Netherlands (Saint-Martin is the smallest island so divided) is somewhat chaotic. I've written, for those you read French, an article on this subject, with various historical maps showing the motions of the borderline. http://www.geomag.fr/sites/default/files/67_96.pdf

Interesting stuff. I've been there. Interesting place.
  • Reply 170 of 229
    Quote:

No problem. Can I can get you anything else? France's failed attempt at a trojan horse designed to attack America, per chance? image

You mean, a Camembert (or Roquefort) smuggler?

Quote:

Never been in the Antilles myself. Way to hot for me. But I admit it would be a nice experience to sail through the various islands.

• Reply 171 of 229

Does Apple stand to make any profit from this feature such as a small percentage of each transaction?

Thank you

• Reply 172 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Why not? We are all members of the United Kingdom and abide by its rules. If some of us wish to change those rules, it should be voted on by all of us.

It's called democracy.

There's no Constitution over where you are. So there are no overriding rules you can point to. It's not proper to ask those not directly involved to share a vote. If that happens, it becomes impossible for a group to leave. This is a difficult question. But in a lot of countries, areas were brought in by force, and so leaving may be an issue, as it was for the Soviet Union. Here, in the States, there is no method by which a state can leave the Union. But then, all stated applied for Union, so it may be a different issue.
  • Reply 173 of 229
    I've written, for those you read French, an article on this subject, with various historical maps showing the motions of the borderline.

Wow, this is interesting. My French is total crap, but I will show this to our ex minister of foreign affairs who was stationed there at one moment. He'll appreciate this very much, so on his behalf: merci et chapeau!
    solipsismx wrote: »

I love Americans who travel; broaden their horizon. Apple2 should ][¡
    You mean, a Camembert (or Roquefort) smuggler?

Ha!
  • Reply 174 of 229
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Here, in the States, there is no method by which a state can leave the Union.

Other than force of arms, which is a valid means of exercising that concept. The inherent inability to succeed, however, makes the Union as perpetual as our laws state.

And that’s awesome. I still want the US to expand.

• Reply 175 of 229
    philboogie wrote: »
    Wow, this is interesting. My French is total crap, but I will show this to our ex minister of foreign affairs who was stationed there at one moment. He'll appreciate this very much, so on his behalf: merci et chapeau!

Uh. Dank U veel!
    By the way, if your ex-minister have access to any historical archives that could help refine the article further, I'd be immensely grateful. Btw, I can send you a 300dpi version of the article (the one you read has been reduced to 72dpi to ease loading).
    Veel dank nogmaals!
    Tot zins!
  • Reply 176 of 229
    ^ post

Wow! Your Dutch is waaaay better than my French. You didn't accidentally had too much eau de vie before dinner, right?.

Uhm, I'll ask him after he returns from holiday. A kind offer, he will appreciate it even if not wanted...
  • Reply 177 of 229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wow! Your Dutch is waaaay better than my French. You didn't accidentally had too much eau de vie before dinner, right?.

Uhm, I'll ask him after he returns from holiday. A kind offer, he will appreciate it even if not wanted...

I wouldn't say my Dutch is fine because I know how to say hello, goodbye and maybe ‘Lop naar de maan’, which can be useful sometimes! It's just a smattering, but since I've studied German for more than seven years and done a lot of linguistics, Dutch (which is none other than a German dialect) is quite easy for me to read (there are some easy rules to pass from German to Dutch, like, e.g. ‘zu' -> 'te' (zurück -> teruk) or ‘auf’ -> ‘op’, etc.

Ok. Thanks! Of course, it is no obligation, but I must admit that when I wrote the article, I only had French material to work upon, so it would be nice to tack the article on with Dutch documents.

• Reply 178 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Just as a point of interest, as this discussion has veered way off course, and the last I'll post on this:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2684613/in-scotland-tech-firms-fear-independence-vote.html
  • Reply 179 of 229
    melgross wrote: »
    Just as a point of interest, as this discussion has veered way off course, and the last I'll post on this:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2684613/in-scotland-tech-firms-fear-independence-vote.html

I've no problem with Scotland pushing for or gaining independence, my issue is the reason. They wish to implement wider social spending than Britain was willing to implement, something which will only make their country less competitive.
  • Reply 180 of 229
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I've no problem with Scotland pushing for or gaining independence, my issue is the reason. They wish to implement wider social spending than Britain was willing to implement, something which will only make their country less competitive.

Hey, let ‘em. When they collapse under said ruin and fall further right, they’re welcome to join the US.

Just about anywhere’s welcome to join, really.