Apple chose to handle iOS 8 rollout with own content delivery network

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by no25 View Post

No wonder it was so slow

It was the fastest iOS update I've ever experienced. But thanks for coming out. 

I'm glad Apple is moving more and more aspects in house. The more areas it controls, the better it controls its fate, and the better it can provide an ideal experience for its customers. We've seen this from everything from CPU customization, to maps, to geolocation services, to CDNs. Steve Jobs understood this, and so does Tim Cook. 

• Reply 22 of 59
    1) Any way to downgrade back to iOS7 after upgrading? I can't find a unambiguous answer on that, and Apple removes my posts on their support site...

2) Asked by user Lars on 9to5; "could Apple's CDN be any indication of a home brew TV network" ...which I think is a good question and nice topic to debate.

3) From 9to5 (bold mine):
    In addition, Apple has interconnect deals in place with multiple ISPs, including Comcast and others, and has paid to get direct access to their networks. Doing trace routes on OS X downloads from multiple ISPs now shows them coming from directly from Apple’s CDN, as you can see with the example below.

- te-0-7-0-9-sur02.lowell.ma.boston.comcast.net (68.87.159.37)
    – be-21-ar01.needham.ma.boston.comcast.net (68.85.106.45)
    – he-1-12-0-0-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.90.253)
    – he-4-15-0-0-cr01.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.87.197)
    – he-0-11-0-1-pe04.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.82.222)
    – as714-2-c.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net (66.208.228.214)
    – usqas1-vip-sx-003.aaplimg.com (17.253.0.223)

inkling wrote: »
    This is a most strange article. It mentions Apple's roll-out but not the troubles it had. The actual feed was a crazy mixture of color bars, Chinese translation, and prior video.

Already answered by many that this isn't related to the keynote, just want to let you know I feel for all who got that Chinese narrator. Strangely not on this side of the pond though, however [@]ThePixelDoc[/@] did get the Chinese voice as well. And we're neighbours...
    no25 wrote: »
    No wonder it was so slow

tl;dr
  • Reply 23 of 59
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gilly33 View Post

My goodness people like to complain so damn much. First time some hiccups. They will get better or revert back to third party servers for the next one. Those of us who sit by the way side and watch always complain about the view. Nothing tried, nothing gain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

I don't know what everybody is complaining about but I had the best experience updating all my devices yesterday than I've every had! None of my devices took more than 10 mins to download the update itself, and that was in the morning and at night. iOS 7 it took an hour just to download. That's not to say that nobody else had issues, but I for one was a very happy camper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

It was the fastest iOS update I've ever experienced. But thanks for coming out. 

I'm glad Apple is moving more and more aspects in house. The more areas it controls, the better it controls its fate, and the better it can provide an ideal experience for its customers. We've seen this from everything from CPU customization, to maps, to geolocation services, to CDNs. Steve Jobs understood this, and so does Tim Cook. 

Glad it worked for you all but just because it did doesn't mean others didn't have problems.  I started the download tonight, more than 24 hours past the initial release and iTunes is telling me its a 5 hour download.  Would have been nice if the cache service on my OSX server downloaded the update like it was up pose to.  But then again who in their right mind expects OSX Server to work as intended...

• Reply 24 of 59
    My daughter updated to iOS 8 last night, and the download took about two minutes via iTunes. I realize that times may vary, but this was as fast as I can remember for an iOS update. Even the intermediate point updates have taken longer in the past.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

I don't know what everybody is complaining about but I had the best experience updating all my devices yesterday than I've every had! None of my devices took more than 10 mins to download the update itself, and that was in the morning and at night. iOS 7 it took an hour just to download. THAT'S NOT TO SAY THAT NOBODY ELSE HAD ISSUES, BUT I FOR ONE WAS A VERY HAPPY CAMPER.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Glad it worked for you all but just because it did doesn't mean others didn't have problems.  I started the download tonight, more than 24 hours past the initial release and iTunes is telling me its a 5 hour download.  Would have been nice if the cache service on my OSX server downloaded the update like it was up pose to.  But then again who in their right mind expects OSX Server to work as intended...

• Reply 26 of 59
    Logged in 3 minutes after release started and went slow and steady right on through. Can't complain.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Here in sunny Australia, with bouncing kangaroos that roam the city streets of Sydney, everything was 'you beaut, mate'.

On four devices (two iPad's, two 5s's) everything was fine as foreplay and smooth as sex.

I was done, dusted, and back out throwing shrimps on the BBQ within two hours.
  • Reply 28 of 59

While I have to wait until October 1 to get my iPhone, this was my last pre-order. Last time I pre-ordered my iPhone 5 I didn't get it for 6 weeks while people were walking out of the stores with them.  Apple is never going to get this right. Tim said himself this would be the mother of all upgrades and even though they had time to ramp up production and upgrade servers, they still failed and now most people aren't going to get their iPhone +'s until November.

I was never able to get to Apple's store online. I was lucky and used their iOS app, and even then it took 3 hours. The stress isn't worth it to me anymore.

• Reply 29 of 59
    gtr wrote: »
    Here in sunny Australia, with bouncing kangaroos that roam the city streets of Sydney, everything was 'you beaut, mate'.

On four devices (two iPad's, two 5s's) everything was fine as foreplay and smooth as sex.

I was done, dusted, and back out throwing shrimps on the BBQ within two hours.

All the while more important things were happening in Australia. The drop test:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/18/iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-take-a-beating-in-first-ever-drop-test-video/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
  • Reply 30 of 59
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    philboogie wrote: »

My advice would be, just like it's not a good idea to go drive your car into a fence, don't drop it.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    gtr wrote: »
    My advice would be, just like it's not a good idea to go drive your car into a fence, don't drop it.

And on that note, I'll drop it. (the issue, not the phone)
  • Reply 32 of 59
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With its rollout of iOS 8 on Wednesday, Apple opted to handle a majority of traffic through its inadequate content delivery network (CDN) instead of meting out traffic to third-party systems.

Fixed.

Just a lousy week for the infrastructure support team.  Live stream dubbing issues.  Inability to bring the Apple.com iPhone 6/6+ preorder site online at the advertised time, as well as connectivity problems with carrier sites.  Widespread issues downloading iOS 8.  It's one thing to develop an internal CDN, it's another to have sufficient capacity for a series of rollouts of this magnitude.

• Reply 33 of 59
    While I can understand everyones gripes with the speed of connectivity/download/orders/activations I cannot comprehend what people were expecting. I don't think there's enough capacity [I]of the Internet [/I]to accommodate to the millions of users connecting 'at once'.

Take the phone system for example. On a daily use it just works, but when there's a fund raising to some catastrophe where people can dial in to a one-time only number after seeing the horrors on the hellavision the phone network collapses. That's because it was never designed for such heavy load, only about 12% of connected phones can be active at one point.

I wouldn't be surprised if [I]mankind[/I] won't [U]ever[/U] fix this problem, because, what's the incentive here? An 8-fold of upgrading the infrastructure, only to be used [I]on occasion[/I]?

No, I think problems like these won't ever die, considering the increased amount of bandwidth and the growing world population.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    For me it worked really well (Norway).
    The AppleTV update though, was so slow, it reminded me of a gprs transfer. Is it using the same system?
  • Reply 35 of 59
    philboogie wrote: »
    1) Any way to downgrade back to iOS7 after upgrading? I can't find a unambiguous answer on that, and Apple removes my posts on their support site...

2) Asked by user Lars on 9to5; "could Apple's CDN be any indication of a home brew TV network" ...which I think is a good question and nice topic to debate.

3) From 9to5 (bold mine):
    - te-0-7-0-9-sur02.lowell.ma.boston.comcast.net (68.87.159.37)
    – be-21-ar01.needham.ma.boston.comcast.net (68.85.106.45)
    – he-1-12-0-0-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.90.253)
    – he-4-15-0-0-cr01.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.87.197)
    – he-0-11-0-1-pe04.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.82.222)
    – as714-2-c.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net (66.208.228.214)
    – usqas1-vip-sx-003.aaplimg.com (17.253.0.223)
    Already answered by many that this isn't related to the keynote, just want to let you know I feel for all who got that Chinese narrator. Strangely not on this side of the pond though, however [@]ThePixelDoc[/@] did get the Chinese voice as well. And we're neighbours...
    tl;dr

This just passed through my RSS feed:

iOS 8 causes bandwidth spikes nationwide (England), despite slow uptake
    Apple’s latest iOS 8 software drove internet to almost double its normal levels, yet fewer people have updated than iOS 7 a year earlier

"According to figures from LONAP, the internet exchange point that provides the physical infrastructure for much of England’s internet service providers, downloads peaked at more than 70 gigabits a second at 8pm Wednesday – a 60% increase on the same time the day before."

I'm trying to find a cached copy of this or a similar graph for 9/9. If the graph looked like that for a "lackluster update"... imagine what it would show for the presentation(!)

While doing that search, I ran across this at Wikipedia... thought you might find it as interesting as i did:

List of Internet exchange points by size (world wide)

#1 - Deutscher Commercial Internet Exchange
    #2 - Amsterdam Internet Exchange

Note: "This list is not exhaustive, as it includes only exchanges willing to make traffic data public on their website. Particularly data of IXPs from the United States is hard to come by. Examples of large peering points without public data are NAP of the Americas or PacketExchange.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Here's also a good read for techies interested in how the Internet can "easily" be broken sometimes.
    [URL=http://www.renesys.com/2014/09/why-the-internet-broke-today/]
    Why Far-Flung Parts of the Internet Broke Today (18 Sept. 2014)[/URL]

"Global Impacts - To recap, a major routing leak occurred, one that was entirely preventable with some common-sense limits. So what? How much impact could this small Pennsylvania-hosting company have on the global Internet? Well, quite a lot in fact and such is the nature of our trust-based Internet routing. [B]Pretty much anyone can mess it up.[/B]"
  • Reply 37 of 59
    ^ post

^ post

Blimey sir, that is interesting to read! Gandering now...
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gilly33 View Post

My goodness people like to complain so damn much. First time some hiccups…

You are so right. I heard all the same complaints all the way back to the first day iO6 came out. It's kinda like watching a car race down the street to be first at the next red light. I'm much more interested in hearing about people's first impressions and experiences with the new iOS.

• Reply 39 of 59

Apple in 17 September released the IOS 8 software to general public now. Here are all the models that will receive the iOS 8 update: iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s | iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad mini with Retina Display | iPod touch (5th gen). Apple softwre is better than windows and Andriod but little bit tricky.

• Reply 40 of 59
    Yeah, my updates went perfectly, and fast.