New Apple print ad shows actual iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus sizes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Marvin wrote: »
    This happens every time someone has a problem i.e 'I don't have the problem so you can't have the problem either'. It doesn't work like that. Some people are fat, some people are thin, people have different sized clothing and pockets and do different activities. Every account is going to be a singular experience so not representative of everyone.

What we know is that some people have bought iPhones for themselves and they're damaged. It's unlikely to be widespread this soon but the media has a responsibility to report these things to make people aware of it, at least to ensure they treat their products more carefully. Imagine if there was a widespread issue, people would 'say why didn't the media warn us as soon as they saw people having problems?'. You're damned if you do report it and damned if you don't.

Hahahahaha! The "media" now is as bad as they've ever been. As in every human activity, the media is full of self-interested people who are as lazy, stupid, careless and foolish as anyone else.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    This is totally a problem with the iPhone 6 Plus.

I think it would be more accurate to say, "This is totally a problem with owners of the iPhone Plus."

In other words, the phone/minitablet is fine, it's how it's treated that is not fine.
  • Reply 23 of 35

Hahahahahahahaha

A whole new thread on bending!

Great!

• Reply 24 of 35
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This happens every time someone has a problem i.e 'I don't have the problem so you can't have the problem either'. It doesn't work like that. Some people are fat, some people are thin, people have different sized clothing and pockets and do different activities. Every account is going to be a singular experience so not representative of everyone.

What we know is that some people have bought iPhones for themselves and they're damaged. It's unlikely to be widespread this soon but the media has a responsibility to report these things to make people aware of it, at least to ensure they treat their products more carefully. Imagine if there was a widespread issue, people would 'say why didn't the media warn us as soon as they saw people having problems?'. You're damned if you do report it and damned if you don't.

I'm sorry Marvin. You have a point, but I don't share your willingness to try and explain the "responsibilities" of the media....whose mantra is :  If it bleeds, it leads. That alone tells me everything I need to know about how "responsible" the news media is.

• Reply 25 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hahahahaha! The "media" now is as bad as they've ever been. As in every human activity, the media is full of self-interested people who are as lazy, stupid, careless and foolish as anyone else.

If anyone thinks the media reporting on this is some sort of genuine PSA they're smoking something. No this is 100% about clicks. 100% about trying to embarrass Apple because that brings page views. But Business Insider reported this morning that there are still lines outside some Apple stores so it might not be working, :D
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Bendgate!

Apple is doomed!

Give me any smartphone and I'll bend or brake with my hands, period. This whole thing is so lame.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Maybe it would have been nice to include the full size ad in an article about a full size ad.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

This happens every time someone has a problem i.e 'I don't have the problem so you can't have the problem either'. It doesn't work like that...

What we know is that some people have bought iPhones for themselves and they're damaged.

This point is well-taken, in theory.  But, do we really know that?

We know that one person, who clearly abused the phone, made a video

of himself doing so that has gained wide purchase.  

He claims that it had already begun to bend from "normal" use...

but had it?  Or was it "prepared" beforehand for the recorded abuse?

I can't tell how many reports of this phenomenon are simply retellings,

so I think we don't yet have a clear idea of whether it is a "normal use" or

an "intentional abuse" phenomenon.  

We do know they may be damaged, we've no idea how or how many.

And so if the media has a 'responsibility' to spread the negative,

it is also essential for the 'Panzarino's' to come forward in counterpoint.

It's at least as valid as the fellow with the video 'coming forward'.

• Reply 29 of 35
    boredumb wrote: »

Note his phone was clearly bent before he started to purcposely bend it.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Remember when during Antennagate (ugh, I hate typing that) Apple showed us that impressive room they use for testing RF things?  If I remember correctly it was a huge white spherical room like something out of X-Men (where Professor X goes to scan for mutants.)  If there is an upside to this latest "scandal" maybe we'll get to see some impressive equipment that Apple uses to test the durability of their designs.  Personally, I have no doubt that Apple engineers know exactly how much torque it takes to damage an iPhone and they factored that into the final design (balancing it against size, weight, battery capacity, hand feel, etc.).  And they would say "yes we know that a strong guy who tries hard can deform the case; so don't do that."

• Reply 31 of 35
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BC2009 View Post

RE: Bent iPhone 6....

Every smartphone (including just about every iPhone) has had this same issue....

http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/

With every Apple release, somebody tries to find the critical flaw. This is starting to get really desperate.

"Bendgate"

• Reply 32 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator

Yeah, you're right, people acting in their self-interest usually ends badly. We should do everything possible to get them to act in the best interests of others.
    newbee wrote:
    I don't share your willingness to try and explain the "responsibilities" of the media....whose mantra is : If it bleeds, it leads.

They can obviously choose to ignore items they don't deem newsworthy but what's the criteria? Lack of evidence, unreliable sources etc. Multiple people are posting photos of their bent phones. The number is minuscule compared to shipped units so they shouldn't sensationalise it but some news networks are actually dismissing the problem by videoing themselves repeatedly sitting down on different chairs, which is at least entertaining.
    boredumb wrote:
    We know that one person, who clearly abused the phone, made a video of himself doing so that has gained wide purchase.

That guy was doing a test in response to reports from users on Macrumors who posted photos of their warped iPhones:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1785905

There's about 6 users in the thread who reported warped phones. The test was just to see if it could be bent and what it would take in a short-term event. People aren't saying their iPhones are completely buckled like in the stress test, they are just askew after prolonged periods of time in their pockets. This scenario isn't possible to replicate easily. A newscaster can't possibly do a test like that for 18 hours. Maybe CNN I suppose but they'll need a whole array of different chairs and a virtual reality simulator of likely activities one might do in order to be sitting and standing such as a attend a virtual wedding, ride in a car and work in an office.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Note his phone was clearly bent before he started to purcposely bend it.

And note we have only his word for how it got that way...I think I referred to that, if obliquely.

• Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb 

We know that one person, who clearly abused the phone, made a video of himself doing so that has gained wide purchase.

That guy was doing a test in response to reports from users on Macrumors who posted photos of their warped iPhones:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1785905

There's about 6 users in the thread who reported warped phones. 

Sorry, I'm naturally suspicious, and I wonder that the guy who just selflessly decides to do the test, who just selflessly

has a phone to give away to cement his glory and underscore his video,

just happens to already have an inadvertently, innocently bent phone of his own...

but, maybe.

• Reply 35 of 35
    boredumb wrote: »
    And note we have only his word for how it got that way...I think I referred to that, if obliquely.

Sure, but I think there are more than enough reports to assume that not everyone is purposely bending their iPhones then posting pics of them on the internet.