"G5" == new case?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

give me a break. the current case sucks.... I would like to think Apple could come up with and release a more daring design such as the cube...the current Quicksilver case is a joke... It should be half the size... it just is more of the same.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree with you about the Cube applenut - It is timeless, it sits as Art on my desk, and it will be there desk after desk.

About the current case: Ports in the front behind a motorized access door (al DVD drive) where the speaker is, Sub Woofer built into the left side, Satellite speakers bundled, fully functional second 5.25 device bay, silenced cooling system, DDR mobo w/G5, shipping with OSX 10.2... If I tell you when, you'll start saving your money now.

As far as BMW's - I always preferred the 911 Turbo - It's styling it has remained true to form and function, a few bulges added, a little smoothing here and there, but all Porche. I'll take a GLOSSY BLACK one w/ clear coat that gives it depth.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Aphelion ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 104
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    the current trend in all of apple's line is mostly-rectangular (with rounded corners), with mixes of white, silver/titanium and clear. the tibook takes the titanium to the extreme since it needs to use it for heatsink purposes (or so i have been told -- i haven't actually used one to know if a lot of heat dissipates through the case). the imac line is the one holdout, with the indigo standing out from the essentially-monochrome-duo, snow and graphite (i have finally started to like snow -- damn you steve!!!) but i believe they just had a whackload of indigo cases lying around, and needed to unload them ASAP in preparation for the next imac case (whenever that happens). i can't imagine them switching to an all-black scheme -- i would like it, too, but i just don't think it'll happen yet. i think if you see any change to the yosemite/el capitan case, it'll be to a more rectangular styling (though that might start to look a little too much like a small refrigerator).
  • Reply 23 of 104
    [quote]The G4 had a new case in terms of the buying public. It was no longer a square smurf. Trust me: that's a new case. <hr></blockquote>

Well by this logic the Qucksilver is a new case, and the iMac comes in several different cases because of it's different colors.

Have you actually seen both a G4 and a G3 case? They are identical, except for the paint job and some plastic accents.

Do you take your car to Macco, get a new paint job, and then go tell all your friends that you've got a new car???
  • Reply 24 of 104
    I firmly believe that the new case will still be El Capitan, but with a new colour scheme.

(I do belive this qualifies as a new case)

The new colours will match the trend we've seen by the last three major products Apple has released: 10.1, iBook, and iPod.

That is *white* with some silver trim.

I think the bulk of the case will be white like the iBook's case (as in, not like "Snow") and that the Apple logos on the sides and front will be:

Aqua Blue

That will be the only blue on it though, with all other trim being silver and/or chrome.

I believe we'll see updated display colour schemes at this time as well.

They'll still be mostly clear, but under the "skin" will be silver on the back and white on the front.

Again, with the Aqua Blue Logo.

I expect we'll see some glowing Apple logos somewhere or other also.
  • Reply 25 of 104
    Junk,

You're falling into the trap so many of we AI posters do: you forget not everyone knows as much as we about Macs! To non AI people, there is a big difference between a turquoise case and a grey case. There is not a big difference between a grey case with a pin striped front and a grey case with a smooth front.

The iMacs were marketed in flavors. That was the whole gimmick, man. The professional computers weren't. There's a big difference to a professional between a turquoise computer and a grey computer. But we digress.

The point here is that when the G5 is introduced, Apple will want to bring as much attention to it as possible. Because so much emphasis is put on Apple's design, introducing one will only help sales (assuming it's a good design...). Keeping the Quicksilver case will not detract from attention given to the G5, but it won't create quite the fanfare a new case would.

And we're not going to see a G5 at SF anyway!!

- Pook
  • Reply 26 of 104
    One thing is for damn sure, Jonathan Ives* is absolutely amazing. I think his designs just keep getting better and better.

The current Apple LCDs, Cube, Titanium and QuickSilvers are classic designs IMO. You just never get tired of looking at them, and they always make me 'wow' in admiration.

* Apple's Industrial Design guru
  • Reply 27 of 104
    [quote]Originally posted by NeoMac:

<strong>One thing is for damn sure, Jonathan Ives* is absolutely amazing.</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

No doubt, that dood is a genius. The El Capitan case is amazingly easy to move (so impoartant) and when ever I do pull one out of its home to move it somewhere I'm hit all over again how beautiful the G4 is (and then there's Quicksilver... amazing, like you said).

Ives is what makes me sometimes wish I'd studies industrial design rather than graphic design.

I suppose either way I'd be doing web programming anyway though, so...
  • Reply 28 of 104
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    The G5 will sport a new case design.

The inside of the current G4 has been changed since the latest G4 bump, but without any logical reasons or benefit for it.
  • Reply 29 of 104
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by BerberCarpet:

<strong>

No doubt, that dood is a genius. The El Capitan case is amazingly easy to move (so impoartant) and when ever I do pull one out of its home to move it somewhere I'm hit all over again how beautiful the G4 is (and then there's Quicksilver... amazing, like you said).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, the current G4 case is great IMO. Super easy access, and I love the look. Let's just hope they continue the trend and come up with something equally as cool.

BTW BerberCarpet, great work you're doing on my stairs. Thanks. I didn't know you had internet access....

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 30 of 104
    Isn't Aphelion our self-declared Apple Employee? So even though he wouldn't break his NDA by telling us some stuff, he's probably got the best idea. And Aphelion, what department do you work in?
  • Reply 31 of 104
    gusgus Posts: 3member
    [quote]Originally posted by John:

<strong>Of course, the new BMW 7 series is ugly as sin... </strong><hr></blockquote>

I saw one "life" yesterday, and it's pretty pretty... :

chill:
  • Reply 32 of 104
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by BerberCarpet:

<strong>I firmly believe that the new case will still be El Capitan, but with a new colour scheme.

(I do belive this qualifies as a new case)

The new colours will match the trend we've seen by the last three major products Apple has released: 10.1, iBook, and iPod.

That is *white* with some silver trim.

I think the bulk of the case will be white like the iBook's case (as in, not like "Snow") and that the Apple logos on the sides and front will be:

Aqua Blue

That will be the only blue on it though, with all other trim being silver and/or chrome.

I believe we'll see updated display colour schemes at this time as well.

They'll still be mostly clear, but under the "skin" will be silver on the back and white on the front.

Again, with the Aqua Blue Logo.

I expect we'll see some glowing Apple logos somewhere or other also.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That sounds like a pretty cool looking case.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aphelion:

<strong>

About the current case: Ports in the front behind a motorized access door (al DVD drive) where the speaker is, Sub Woofer built into the left side, Satellite speakers bundled, fully functional second 5.25 device bay, silenced cooling system, DDR mobo w/G5, shipping with OSX 10.2... If I tell you when, you'll start saving your money now.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Aphelion ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

When!?!? I don't need to save, I'm sitting on the money right now, have been since the QS let down in July. When!? Is the case you speak of the shipping case for the G5? What's the colors, any metal?
  • Reply 34 of 104
    The current case is nice looking, but as others have pointed out it could stand some improvements. It's not like we're asking that much. It doesn't cost that much to make a decent case!

First off, I'd just like to say that I like the current cases. It's definitely better than the, ugh, PC that sits next to it! The side door is nice. It's so easy to get in there. But once you're in there it's not that great.

As others have pointed out, where's the second 5.25" drive bay? I mean, what's the deal? This crappy PC next to my G4 has three, plus a disk drive.. and it's the same size. This would be great if we could get internal firewire drives. I'm not sure if firewire is better or worse than IDE for high intensity situations.. but it's at least good enough for CD-ROM, Zip drive, etc.

I've been fooling around a lot inside of this beast because of a defective hard drive. Two ideas came out of this. First.. get rid of those sharp edges! There's no need for that! I got a hunk taking out of my head and scratches all over my hands.. no need! Second, that stock hard drive is REALLY in there. I stripped the f-ing screw holding in the mount. I don't know what to do about that. And it's next to impossible to put all four screws into a second hard drive.

One more comment: can't somebody make a case with air filters? I can't imagine this being that hard. Now that would be an improvement.

Derek

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: dWREK67 ]</p>
  • Reply 35 of 104
    dWREK67 : That whole metal tray that the HD sits in slides right out - I think you have to remove a screw from the center of the plate under the HD - The first time I added another HD I said screw it and only put in 3 screws, I got all kinds of weird vibrations and HD sounds. 4 screws is better than 3
  • Reply 36 of 104
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I would like this-

In case the image doesn't link-<a href="http://www.applele.com/powerfulmac4_b.html"; target="_blank">here</a>
  • Reply 37 of 104
    From what I heard, it would be white, or white-ish (is that a correct word?). I wasn't let in on more details...
  • Reply 38 of 104
    ifok5ifok5 Posts: 22member
    G5 Sphere!!!!

I can still dream...
  • Reply 39 of 104
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>I would like this-

In case the image doesn't link-<a href="http://www.applele.com/powerfulmac4_b.html"; target="_blank">here</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the current case is much better than that.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    Regarding the PowerfulMac R4, I don't think it's wise to place the removable media drive at the top of the case if it's going to be a desktop.