FBI director says iOS and Android privacy features put users 'above the law'

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 188

I hear you, but i also see law as something akin to subjective sign posts that move as the culture evolves. Even rights to me are malleable abstractions. Whether anybody agrees or not that "law" or "rule of law" are vital to human order (which i don't think they are, but can be left for another argument), when those in a power position are not accountable to those same laws then it is clear what the system is built for, and that is to protect those with power and use the "law" against those who are not.

If technology allows us to bypass some flippant interpretation of law and the FBI and others decide to make sure companies have no choice in exposing our data regardless, then we are moving into totalitarianism without apologies from the ones in power. I'm curious to see what happens when law and economics come into conflict... What do you do when one of the most powerful economic engines on the planet in the business world says they will not comply? I almost hope this becomes a real battle in the courts.

• Reply 182 of 188
    I find this downright hilarious! Is the FBI really trying to convince us that Apple is somehow at fault for implementing encryption security for our own data?! Haha! So, you're unhappy that Apple has made it harder for you to violate our 4th Amendment rights?? Hold on, let me grab my violin. lol. Looks like you'll have to think up a new use for those billions of tax-dollars wasted on NSA data snooping! This article made my day!!
  • Reply 183 of 188
    It's pretty clear a lot of posters have a strong interest in hiding stuff from the police. It's exactly the actions and concerns that criminals spend their time on. They also like to plot and conduct their criminal activities more conveniently in secret.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

That people like you exist and can vote is more terrifying than the government overreach you vote into office.

Indeed.

1984, here we come.
  • Reply 184 of 188
    malax wrote: »
    rorwessels wrote: »
    Please don't think us all so callous or cavalier about this. Many of us are just as upset about this as anyone else outside of our country. I for one do not believe the FBI or the NSA have any right to our personal information. This whole situation where the governments of the world somehow think that they have the right to spy on their own citizens has to stop. Any of us willing to give up our freedoms and liberties in exchange for security or the false sense of security don't deserve to have those freedoms are liberties. It is up to everyone of us to guard against becoming slaves to our own governments.
    For the duration of this thread RORWessels gets my proxy.  Whatever he (or she) posts earns an implicit "I would have said exactly that, if not as clearly and eloquently" from me.

My feelings, too.

Thank you, RORWessels, for your lucid arguments on this thread. GadgetCanada, too.
  • Reply 185 of 188

This reminds me of Dan Brown's Digital Fortress.

• Reply 186 of 188
    masterchat wrote: »
    This reminds me of Dan Brown's Digital Fortress.

And it reminds me to urge everyone to register to vote and demand term limits for Congress and the Senate.
  • Reply 187 of 188
    It's pretty clear a lot of posters have a strong interest in hiding stuff from the police. It's exactly the actions and concerns that criminals spend their time on. They also like to plot and conduct their criminal activities more conveniently in secret.

Haha! Your posts always make me laugh, Yves. lol. Valuing one's privacy is not synonymous with "hiding criminal activity". Personally, I couldn't care less if I found out that the government had hacked into my data. Honestly, I think they'd be bored out of their minds if they did! The majority of us Have nothing to hide. I would just rather that Billions of our tax dollars not be wasted on investigating non-threats such as myself. That being said, I Would actually be interested to find out how beneficial these investigations actually are. My gut tells me that they fail to justify the trouble...
  • Reply 188 of 188
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    maybe if of the Government wasn't stepping all over the Constitution and our rights, Apple and Google wouldn't be locking things down like they are! Just outright gathering everyone's Data just in case with a blanket warrant is B.S. and completely unconstitutional. Doesn't matter if it's for national security. Doesn't give them the rights to step all over our rights. It's always in the name of Security or Child protection to go ahead and just TAKE more and more of our rights.