After Apple Inc. dodged the iPhone 6 Plus BendGate bullet, detractors wounded by ricochet

Comments

• Reply 201 of 429
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Pressure in your pocket is quite different if you have a long phone than a shorter phone because of:
    - Leverage, this in theory should make the longer phone more prone to breakage. The bottom of the phone (pinned against the bottom of your butt) in this case would be the pivot. This is probably how a phone would be bent under a constant but not too high pressure. That's were the phone having the ability to move in your pocket, even a bit, can make a huge difference.

- A Long phone strangely compensates with the leverage aspect with possibly having a larger area on which to distribute the stress (expecially if they have internal bracing for that).

A pocket also rarely provide a huge amount of point pressure.. Why? Because if there is 70 pounds of pressure on a small point of your phone... There is probably 70 pounds of pressure on some small point of your body... That's probably a position you want to stay in for even one second.

Speak for yourself! :p
  • Reply 202 of 429
    You want to re-rail the thread? ????

'Re-rail', now is that a strictly US term? ;)

I have been alternating between topic and non topic as best I can.
  • Reply 203 of 429
    And thus the language changes region to region ...

I have a personal reason for my interest in all this. My parents moved around England a fair bit during my school age years (school age meaning 4 -18) and every bloody new school I went to spoke a sodding different language! :\

And language changes drastically, even within regions. Everywhere people gather there are new words invented to describe something peculiar to their work, family, interests or locale.
  • Reply 204 of 429
    And language changes drastically, even within regions. Everywhere people gather there are new words invented to describe something peculiar to their work, family, interests or locale.

True and remember UK 'regions' can be 10 miles across! It's the loss of words that is sad as mentioned earlier. Hopefully Game of Thrones is brining back some good olde English words ...

Oh hell, I just bent my Samsung Fridge door whilst I was in amongst the jars looking for cutlery I left there when not wearing my trousers...
  • Reply 205 of 429
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You want to re-rail the thread? ????

'Re-rail', now is that a strictly US term? image

I have been alternating between topic and non topic as best I can.

Is that like underail?

• Reply 206 of 429
    muppetry wrote: »
    Is that like underail?

Exactly.
  • Reply 207 of 429
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Just a genuine question here ... I respect DED's talent so I wonder if this is American English vs UK English at work ... In this paragraph, I'd use 'run' not 'ran'. Please educate me fellow Americans who grew up here .. "Apple ran out '... or 'Apple had run out ...' is UK English.

Embarrassed by its own products (which it called "plastic feeling" with "lack of key feature"), Samsung worked to invent and perpetuate the idea among bloggers and even the mainstream media that Apple had ran out of "innovation," even as the company also copied every move Apple made. The "lack of innovation" meme reached peak insanity in 2013 before crumbling very embarrassingly.

Don't know if others answered, but "had run" is not only standard American, but correct English as well.
  • Reply 208 of 429
    flaneur wrote: »
    Don't know if others answered, but "had run" is not only standard American, but correct English as well.

That seems backwards to me .. but thanks, I now know about the American side too.. We have had fun here for the last several pages discussing this along with sealing-wax, cabbages and kings ... amongst many other splendid things. :D

... And we are pouring scorn on fake iPhone videos too.
  • Reply 209 of 429
    The loss of words is a shame, it is like a painter losing the access to a color. Changing the spelling and pronunciation or creating new ones is fine but oh so sad to see words die.

Loss of words is sad, I agree, but loss of entire phonemes causes much more confusion. I've watched with dismay the last 40 years or so as features formerly confined to the New England dialect have spread all across the country.

1) Loss of the "aw" sound in "dog". "Daughter" is now pronounced "dotter". (I was once embarrassed when I was told to hold something for "Don" Something-or-other, and I looked like an idiot when a woman named Dawn showed up for it.)

2) Loss of the unvoiced (or aspirated) "w". "Wine" and "whine" are now pronounced the same.

3) Loss of the palatal on-glide before "u" after dentals—coupled with the voicing of unvoiced stops between vowels (admittedly more widespread than just New England) "duty" is now pronounced "doody".

There are several more, but these are bad enough. Of course, my dialect telescopes other phonemes—I pronounce "pin" and "pen" the same, and only use one vowel in "Mary", "marry", and "merry" (like "merry"). So what you gain on the straightaways you lose on the turns.
  • Reply 210 of 429
    Quote:

Speak for yourself! image

Haha, yeah, there was obviously a missing "don't" there.. Corrected that.

• Reply 211 of 429
    Loss of words is sad, I agree, but loss of entire phonemes causes much more confusion. I've watched with dismay the last 40 years or so as features formerly confined to the New England dialect have spread all across the country.

1) Loss of the "aw" sound in "dog". "Daughter" is now pronounced "dotter". (I was once embarrassed when I was told to hold something for "Don" Something-or-other, and I looked like an idiot when a woman named Dawn showed up for it.)

2) Loss of the unvoiced (or aspirated) "w". "Wine" and "whine" are now pronounced the same.

3) Loss of the palatal on-glide before "u" after dentals—coupled with the voicing of unvoiced stops between vowels (admittedly more widespread than just New England) "duty" is now pronounced "doody".

There are several more, but these are bad enough. Of course, my dialect telescopes other phonemes—I pronounce "pin" and "pen" the same, and only use one vowel in "Mary", "marry", and "merry" (like "merry"). So what you gain on the straightaways you lose on the turns.

We are going to get banned for being sooo far off topic any minute ... haha

I think that is trivial compared to loss of words to be honest. Being able to use a treasure trove of different words to describe the same thing is directly equatable to a myriad of colors and shades in a painter's palette. *A painter can convey mood, feelings and even subconsciously felt emotions as can different words, meaning almost the same ... but not quite. This of course is only true if the viewer of that paining isn't blind or the listener to those words is educated. On the other hand dialect differences and the feeling a word isn't spoken the way one grew up hearing can be strange even disconcerting. Often that which is distasteful is because of associations, often socio economic in origin. It is a really different topic, although just as fascinating.

You may enjoy this :http://pandora.cii.wwu.edu/vajda/ling201/test3materials/History_of_English.htm

edit:* I also realize the ability to appreciate art also requires a complex mix of education and experience, so this is overly simplistic.
  • Reply 212 of 429
    Just a genuine question here ... I respect DED's talent so I wonder if this is American English vs UK English at work ... In this paragraph, I'd use 'run' not 'ran'. Please educate me fellow Americans who grew up here .. "Apple ran out '... or 'Apple had run out ...' is UK English.

Embarrassed by its own products (which it called "plastic feeling" with "lack of key feature"), Samsung worked to invent and perpetuate the idea among bloggers and even the mainstream media that Apple had ran out of "innovation," even as the company also copied every move Apple made. The "lack of innovation" meme reached peak insanity in 2013 before crumbling very embarrassingly.

You are correct although I am willing to grant DED grace considering the declining state of the written English language in the United States.
  • Reply 213 of 429
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Haha, yeah, there was obviously a missing "don't" there.. Corrected that.

I knew that ;) The thread is being renamed Pedants Unite.
  • Reply 214 of 429
    You are correct although I am willing to grant DED grace considering the declining state of the written English language in the United States.

Totally. DED is right behind J.K Rowling in my list of top ten writers. :D (That is a complement BTW not an allusion to fantasy)
  • Reply 215 of 429
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I've actually heard some Brits pronounce "whinge" (rhymes with "hinge"). It's awkward. As awkward as a literal pronunciation of "maths".

That last one is a funny one ...

It must be 'mathematic' I assume that is abbreviated to get math ... image

Almost - it's mathematics.

• Reply 216 of 429
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,921member
    I take stand to support those who try to create controversy against Apple is not achieving anything good. They do for many. Whether you call controversy or conspiracy theory but it helped me short Apple stock and than next day bought back. Made good money. Thanks to those who directly or in-directly participated in bendgate, IOS 8.0.1 controversy, conspiracy, ant-apple, self fulfilling prophecy, media web clicks, self-ego me too opinion, or whatever but it benefited Apple and me(others who took advantage of). I thank you whole heartily and keep up good work against Apple where you can.
  • Reply 217 of 429
    Fanboys on both sides of the aisle are doing great service to tech community in general and paying public at large by blinding letting these technology behemoths take us for a ride. I am a long standing Apple customer, since 1996 and nothing has displeasured me more then launch of iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 and the subsequent missteps with the iOS upgrades.

For the first time in 18 years I am seeing Apple not setting an example but, following one. It hurts me to a point that I feel cheated for having reposed my trust in the company that has become also ran. After upgrading my iPad mini to iOS 8 and subsequently to iOS 8.0.2 my internet connectivity on the device has slowed down from 60Mbps to 10 Mbps (Upload) while on my iPhone 5's I can barely get 6 Mbps after upgrading to iOS 8. I have tried all trucks in the book to fasten my devices but to no avail. Meanwhile, my wife's Windows 8.1 tablet and her BB Z10 seem to be working fine (57 Mbps on each device) on the very same network. Btw my niece and my 22 year old nephew were the first to report the bent iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 which snowballed into big Internet controversy, now popularly known as BendGate.

I was going to upgrade to iPhone 6 but, for now I will hold on to my 5's. As far as my iPad mini goes, I think the new updates have rendered it almost useless. If any of you have solution to resolving my problems, please, email me at [email protected]

Meanwhile heed my advice don't follow any corporation to the point of Blind Worship. We trust these guys with our hard-earned $'s make them accountable for every penny & dime. Don't settle for incremental upgrades....DEMAND FOR MORE.
  • Reply 218 of 429

I was asked by a tech-savvy friend of mine what I thought about the stories of "bent iPhones" and how I thought this would hurt Apple sales. My response was to ask, given the 10,000,000 sales of iPhone 6 phones in just the first weekend (which was probably more like 20M by the time we were speaking), how many phones he thought had been returned to Apple for being bent. He thought for a bit and replied that, since I was asking, he had better respond with a number that was ridiculously small. He said "how about 1000". My response was "how about 9, and I don't mean 9,000, I mean 9". He was shocked and later disgusted by how much the issue had been blown out of proportion and how much media support there had been in the story's overblown form.

Our discussion continued about how this was a well directed, attention-seeking, wannabe viral post that was ultimately going to backfire on the "bendgate" spreaders. My friend felt manipulated and angry. He will probably buy an iPhone 6!

It is articles such as this that will allow (albeit slowly) the facts to get out and combat the haters who try to profit from FUD-mongering. I doubt the press will be as enthusiastic with the real story as they were with the sensational "Apple is doomed" that they seem to want so much to be true.

If it were not for Apple we would all still be on Symbian/Treo clones and listening to music on solid state tape-recorder analogs.

More of the same please DED.

• Reply 219 of 429
    Almost - it's mathematics.

Way to miss the joke ... /sigh

JFYI There was a multi thread discussion about English as opposed to US English and 'math' vs 'maths' came up.

Hence joke; one could postulate mathematic abbreviates to 'math' and mathematics to 'maths'. I was poking fun at the American word 'math' which doesn't really make sense since 'mathematics', not 'mathematic' is the study of topics such as quantity (numbers), structure, space, and change.

It was all tongue in cheek as I don't mind either way and Samsung still sucks and Apple still rules. :D
  • Reply 220 of 429
    softeky wrote: »
    I was asked by a tech-savvy friend of mine what I thought about the stories of "bent iPhones" and how I thought this would hurt Apple sales. My response was to ask, given the 10,000,000 sales of iPhone 6 phones in just the first weekend (which was probably more like 20M by the time we were speaking), how many phones he thought had been returned to Apple for being bent. He thought for a bit and replied that, since I was asking, he had better respond with a number that was ridiculously small. He said "how about 1000". My response was "how about 9, and I don't mean 9,000, I mean 9". He was shocked and later disgusted by how much the issue had been blown out of proportion and how much media support there had been in the story's overblown form.

Our discussion continued about how this was a well directed, attention-seeking, wannabe viral post that was ultimately going to backfire on the "bendgate" spreaders. My friend felt manipulated and angry. He will probably buy an iPhone 6!

It is articles such as this that will allow (albeit slowly) the facts to get out and combat the haters who try to profit from FUD-mongering. I doubt the press will be as enthusiastic with the real story as they were with the sensational "Apple is doomed" that they seem to want so much to be true.

If it were not for Apple we would all still be on Symbian/Treo clones and listening to music on solid state tape-recorder analogs.

More of the same please DED.

I agree but remember the scam video about the 'bent phone' was made after those fantastic initial sales. Who knows the damage done yet? I know several people that said 'they were having second thoughts as iPhone's bend so easily'. Hopefully articles like this and folks like us passing it on to the gullible people we know will mitigate the damage.