After Apple Inc. dodged the iPhone 6 Plus BendGate bullet, detractors wounded by ricochet

Comments

• Reply 321 of 429
    Just sharing: Iphone 6 plus is outsold in Italy. Sales were so good that also magazine stock is finished, ordering from the web store now implies a 1 month of waiting.
    Note for Samsung and Microsoft: maybe advertising your products instead than dis-advertise other products will work better.
  • Reply 322 of 429
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Calm down.

Wise up.
  • Reply 323 of 429
    flaneur wrote: »
    I'd rather talk about the Br 'got' versus the American 'gotten.' ;)

I'm stuck on "ill-gotten gains." Any others? Speaking of which, herbapou's estimate of a $150,000 gain for that backward-baseball-cap barbarian would be the very definition of ill-gotten.

Has he been identified, I ask for the third time? If he's in SoCal, i'd like to "debrief" him.

Isn't he the same guy that hacked Sheldon Cooper's Dungeons & Dragons account and stole all his stuff? If so, we know his address....
  • Reply 324 of 429
    berp wrote: »
    Google's business model abhors privacy. It obliterates it by intelligent design. Apple's business model adores privacy. It nurtures it by brilliant design. YouTube vectorizes proxy-warfare from the former on to the latter. iPhone vectorizes moxie-warfare from the latter on to the former.

A clash of profit-making ideologies, foremost.

Spoken as though from Olympian heighth, and with elegant precision
  • Reply 325 of 429

Can't believe how strong the fanboy is in the editorial.  The iPhone 6+ obviously has a design flaw.  Deal with it, fanboys.

I just ordered my 6+ today and will definitely put it in a rigid case.  Not happy about it, but I can live with it.  That doesn't mean I don't think Apple effed up; the 6+ should have been sufficiently rigid to withstand pocket stowage, including bending over and other positions.  That's true for any mobile device, but I expect more from Apple.  

• Reply 326 of 429

Enjoying each and every editorial.

AND ... I always share a link to EACH and EVERY ONE of these truly kick-ass articles.

On another note, the CLOWN in that infamous video is the father of all morons and nothing else I can add! His mama for sure cries to Lord how in hell she gave birth to such idiot ... :smokey:

• Reply 327 of 429

Man, the water bill is going to go through the roof with all the toilet flushing going on.

• Reply 328 of 429
    Manufacturing dissent (apologies to John Pilger's original idea of state-manufactured consent)...
  • Reply 329 of 429
    Can't believe how strong the fanboy is in the editorial.  The iPhone 6+ obviously has a design flaw.  D<span style="line-height:1.4em;">eal with it, fanboys.</span>

I just ordered my 6+ today and will definitely put it in a rigid case.  Not happy about it, but I can live with it.  That doesn't mean I don't think Apple effed up; the 6+ should have been sufficiently rigid to withstand pocket stowage, including bending over and other positions.  That's true for any mobile device, but I expect more from Apple.  

It is. You don't have to be a fanboy to deal with facts. This is old now.
  • Reply 330 of 429
    Isn't he the same guy that hacked Sheldon Cooper's Dungeons & Dragons account and stole all his stuff? If so, we know his address....

Didn't take much for this YouTube-phobic geezer (me) to find the answer. He's Lew Hilsenteger, runs the site Unbox Therapy, appears to live in Toronto, unfortunately. I say that because he's out of my reach to harass.

Did he say who sponsored the bending videos? I'm not going to watch them, or contribute to his "success," and I always hated the idea of snuff videos, which these are one step away from. Those phones are works of art, and it makes no difference if they are mass manufactured. They're the equivalent to a year's wages to some, and probably unobtainable during the lifetime of many, and this clown is treating them like beer cans.

He mentions Sony as a sponsor for one of his videos, specifically their action cam. I was interested in that camera, but I've suddenly lost my taste for it. Eat it, Sony.

Speaking of taste, check out his Ironman in Real Life video. This guy is the living embodiment of bad taste. No surprise there.
  • Reply 331 of 429
    True! But he also had the ability to change his mind and admit to making mistakes.

Which is probably what he would have when he saw the numbers re larger phones. But none of us know for sure.
  • Reply 332 of 429
    Can't believe how strong the fanboy is in the editorial.  The iPhone 6+ obviously has a design flaw.  D<span style="line-height:1.4em;">eal with it, fanboys.</span>

It's an interesting look at why the phone fails where it does under bending, but it doesn't remotely prove a design flaw. All structures will fail under sufficient load, and most structures will fail preferentially either at weak points or stress risers. So explaining why it fails at the buttons (which is the trivially obvious weak point) doesn't mean the design is flawed.

That would require one of two possibilities: either the design called for inadequate strength for reasonable use, or the specified strength was fine but the execution of the design failed to achieve it. Most of the accusations appear to center on the former, but the argued evidence comprises deliberate manual destruction of the phone, baselessly extrapolated to assertions that it will deform when stored in pockets. Actual testing indicates it to be well within the strength range of other high-end phones, and there appear to be no significant, verified reports of pocket damage.

So all we have is the usual ill-informed internet noise comprising people like you saying it "obviously has a design flaw" when, at this stage, the only thing that is obvious is that it does not "obviously have a design flaw". Only time will tell whether it proves to be below, on, or above average in its class in durability.
  • Reply 333 of 429

The phone does not have a design flaw. The user who bends it, intentionally or otherwise, has a mental flaw, or a flaw in attentiveness, to be fair.

Edit: muppetry closes the case much better above.
  • Reply 334 of 429
    Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

Can't believe how strong the fanboy is in the editorial.  The iPhone 6+ obviously has a design flaw.  Deal with it, fanboys.

Nah, how about you keep your libel to yourself.

• Reply 335 of 429
    Not only is Apple still the only mobile phone vendor to be mass producing 64-bit devices, but it's also beating the performance of Qualcomm-based products from Samsung, LG and Motorola, despite using half as many processor cores at slower clock speeds and far less RAM, all of which contributes to longer battery life.

....From this read, it appears that Android is still attempting to catch up and Apple seems to know what they're doing. Lots of haterz out there, and everyone bashing Apple is just making them look like RockStars baby! I thought they were just withholding from their customers. Turns out their technology is far more advanced than everyone else's. They don't need to supersede their adversaries by attempting to bash the competition. The universe tends to unfold as it should. I will agree that they definitely know how to market their product. Apple is a closed society and is for members only! Own a product and you are in the club! I noticed that during IFA. Some Android users are beginning to turn. I myself go with the times. What's hot and what's not. I love tech and innovation in general and I totally get a kick out of this Andy-apple feud within all the blogs. CLASSIC!!!!
  • Reply 336 of 429
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    03n13 wrote: »
    This is a biased article. Until the great man - Steve Jobs passed away, iPhones have been dominating the market, it was solid and rapid. Apple is at the beginning of an end if we are talking about smartphones. In my opinion iPhone 4 and 4s is the best and last iPhone that is loyal to its fame and quality. Lots of my friends have iPhone 4 and 4s and they all still look fantastic and brand new. They are like unboxed seconds ago. I never have been a hater, as I wrote above, I think that iPhone 4s is still one of the best phones of all times - easily...And I and my wife have two iPods (Touch 4) and still use it happily despite of the fact that we cannot use newer apps as majority of them supports only iOS 7.

This site has lots of clever people and I am sure they all remember this: When Apple was months close to declare the iPhone 5S and 5C, if you wanted to buy a regular iPhone 5, you just could not find it anywhere. Later on, we were so dissapointed of the fact that Apple actually pulled those iPhones from the stores to put colourful plastic cases and call it "iPhone 5C" and sell it for more bucks although the material of the iPhone 5C was less good. Come on, just for the sake of iPhone fans who made fun of Samsungs as "plastic sh...s" is it really okey to make a plastic iPhone, betraying to the its premium feel, fame, quality and history? I was surprised that fans were feeling good when they were making fun of plastic Samsungs and they just ignore that Apple also began to use plastic. And now Apple is trying to hard to catch up with the market's demands like larger screens but this is a field that the rivals have more experience. They know which material is better for larger and thinner screens. As the days will pass, there will be more people who will test its durability and I am afraid the tests of Unbox Therapy are true. iPhone 6 Plus is one of the lesser durable smartphones at the market. 

Apple needs a meditation to figure out what Steve Jobs would have done. Please write unbiased articles.

I do not hate iPhones, I always love and respect what Stece Jobs had done not only for Apple but for all the consumers.

1. It's an editorial.
    2. Apple didn't pull the 5 from stores
    3. Rivals also had experience building smartphones, MP3 players, tablets prior to the iPhone, iPod, iPad. Look where it got them.
    4. You know nothing about what Jobs would or wouldn't do.
    You raise an interesting point about product lines.

I think Apple felt they had to keep the 5c alive, as it's only been out for one year. It's also logical for it to take the place of the last low-end, which was the 4s. But because they've introduced two brand new models, they faced a new situation; although the 5c was a new design, the innards were mostly made up of the 5, whereas the 6 and the 6 Plus are wholly new.

So where does that leave the 5s? In a sense, Apple are tacitly saying, "You want a new 4"? Too bad, but we're keeping the 5s as a sop to you." But this means that they're keeping open four distinctly different product lines. On balance, it's probably cheaper for Apple do do this than to discontinue the 5s and create a 4" 6. Really, I feel that the 5c is somewhat of an anomaly in the Western markets, as it is too low-end. It's only because of its relative newness that they still offer it.

What I'm trying to say in a very messy way is that ideally they might have offered the 6 in 4", 4.7" and 5.5", plus the 5s and the 5c. But that's too many SKUs and would dent their margins too much, quite apart from all the other problems with the 6 Plus.

All this would have been mitigated if only they had had Jobs's vision and realised that they didn't need to offer the 5.5".

What happened to you? You've been Odo'd!

It take about 70lbs of force to bend the iPhone. With physics, there is an opposite and equal force appled to your body. If you can't feel that and adjust your phone accordingly, I have nothing for you. Also, smart folks don't sit on their phones.
  • Reply 337 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nah, how about you keep your libel to yourself.

At least when someone directs a comment at fanboys, you know you're included.

• Reply 338 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It's an interesting look at why the phone fails where it does under bending, but it doesn't remotely prove a design flaw. All structures will fail under sufficient load, and most structures will fail preferentially either at weak points or stress risers. So explaining why it fails at the buttons (which is the trivially obvious weak point) doesn't mean the design is flawed.

That would require one of two possibilities: either the design called for inadequate strength for reasonable use, or the specified strength was fine but the execution of the design failed to achieve it. Most of the accusations appear to center on the former, but the argued evidence comprises deliberate manual destruction of the phone, baselessly extrapolated to assertions that it will deform when stored in pockets. Actual testing indicates it to be well within the strength range of other high-end phones, and there appear to be no significant, verified reports of pocket damage.

So all we have is the usual ill-informed internet noise comprising people like you saying it "obviously has a design flaw" when, at this stage, the only thing that is obvious is that it does not "obviously have a design flaw". Only time will tell whether it proves to be below, on, or above average in its class in durability.

In other words, it bends too easily at the weak point.

Accept it, fanboy.  Apple are not perfect, and too often style trumps function.

• Reply 339 of 429
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    muppetry wrote: »

In other words, it bends too easily at the weak point.

Accept it, fanboy.  Apple are not perfect, and too often style trumps function.

Ok - well if all you want to do is throw insults and blatant non sequiturs then no point continuing the discussion.
  • Reply 340 of 429
    Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

At least when someone directs a comment at fanboys, you know you're included.

No duh. Where do you think we are?!