After Apple Inc. dodged the iPhone 6 Plus BendGate bullet, detractors wounded by ricochet

Comments

• Reply 381 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No need to answer idle speculation with more idle speculation. The proportion could be anything. I would imagine it's probably more than the average population, but I wouldn't go any further than that. It could be 5% or 95%.

Idle speculation is the foundation of sites like this.

In your mind, maybe, but that's just idle speculation; I usually demonstrate informed speculation, or so I like to think. 

• Reply 382 of 429
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

"Apple Inc. dodged the iPhone 6 Plus BendGate bullet, detractors wounded by ricochet"

Consumer Reports tested 6 phones. Their test method was virtually identical to how apple tests their products. They found the iphone 6/6+ are among the weakest. 

The iphone 6 and the HTC One both deforms at 70lbs. The 6+ deforms at 90lbs. 

The LG G3 and the iphone 5 both deforms at 130lbs 

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 deforms at 150lbs.

The iphone 6/6+ are clearly weaker than the 5. When it first came out, the 5 had claims of bending too. Since the 6/6+ are nearly 50% weaker, there should be more claims in the future.

As of now, Apple is not out of the woods, and no detractors have been wounded.

Your math is too fuzzy to merit response. You cannot take any number and claim that half of that is always 50%.

And as far as Apple detractors, competition have all pulled their social media ads (of course they didn't have the guts to go national with their ads because they knew it was slander and illegal). 

In the end, everything's debatable and nothing really matters except for actual sales data and customer satisfaction. Don't even bother.

• Reply 383 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Quote:

"Apple Inc. dodged the iPhone 6 Plus BendGate bullet, detractors wounded by ricochet"

Consumer Reports tested 6 phones. Their test method was virtually identical to how apple tests their products. They found the iphone 6/6+ are among the weakest. 

The iphone 6 and the HTC One both deforms at 70lbs. The 6+ deforms at 90lbs. 

The LG G3 and the iphone 5 both deforms at 130lbs 

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 deforms at 150lbs.

The iphone 6/6+ are clearly weaker than the 5. When it first came out, the 5 had claims of bending too. Since the 6/6+ are nearly 50% weaker, there should be more claims in the future.

As of now, Apple is not out of the woods, and no detractors have been wounded.

Your math is too fuzzy to merit response. You cannot take any number and claim that half of that is always 50%.

And as far as Apple detractors, competition have all pulled their social media ads (of course they didn't have the guts to go national with their ads because they knew it was slander and illegal). 

In the end, everything's debatable and nothing really matters except for actual sales data and customer satisfaction. Don't even bother.

But how you arrive at sales and customer satisfaction is via perception. Apple has historically been perceived by the general public as very desirable for the past sixteen years or so. Bendgate has the potential to damage that perception.

Perception is important, and isn't necessarily based on hard facts.

• Reply 384 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

What, in the name of God, was the point of that??

Does ad revenue cover the cost of the phone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

For **** sake, does the term editorial mean nothing?

1) You mean that domination that had 0% percent of the market and never once has had anywhere close to a majority of the handsets units sold?

2) It's on its 8th generation and you're surprised that a product make not have the same growth it once had? BTW, that growth was slowing when Jobs was alive.

3) My prediction is the iPhone, whose APR, revenue and profits in the market were growing after Jobs' death will continue to grow with the new iPhone 6 sizes, capacities and price points.

Oh yeah, their toast¡ image

No LTE, no ?Pay, heavier and a greater volume than the iPhone 6, much thicker, squared edges, and a much smaller display despite that thickness, weight and volume. Not to mention other changes that make all the components much better after several generations.

You can your friends should really jump to Android. Please, anything to get you off this forum.

Sure. image

10 So mow you wanted an iPhone 5 after it was gone even though you previously stated the iPhone 4/4S were the best? Pathetic! At least try to keep your lies consisitent from post to post. Don't be another @pazuzu.

2) If you really wanted an iPhone 5 you could have bought one from any number of sources, both new and used. As for the 5C it was $100 less expensive and came with a better camera. It was probably also tougher than the 5 due to the plastic casing that added some of that thickness and weight you loved so much with the 4/4S.

Perhaps that's why it was never a flagship device.

1) And yet according to Google's very own analytics larger screen devices — not just smartphones — are a very, very small portion of Android-based devices in use and yet by the end of this year Apple will now be the most dominate supplier of 4.5" and larger smartphones in the word.

2) Funny how you ignore Cook's comments about the technology not being there yet. The iPhone 6 is thinner, lighter, and has a lower volume than your precious iPhone 4 from 2010 and you call it a failure. Did all the HW exist then for what they included in the 6 series? Considering the move to 20nm lithography and the additional size of the battery and NFC compared to its jump in battery life all the facts say Apple could NOT have made this exact device back in 2010.

Yes, yes they do. You on the other hand, not so much.

Ah, your'e pimping a site trying to get some page hits to earn a quick buck by pooh-poohing the success of others. Fucking parasites! image

What a perfectly sane comment¡ image

When you see something that starts off with the term EDITORIAL don't fucking read it, but we both you won't do that because you're not hear to make any reasoned and logical comments.

1) Funny how people like you always claimed Apple was only lucky and that Steve Jobs was only good at marketing, but now that Jobs is dead you can say he was a genius and that Apple can't survive without him despite record profits, growth, and a share price. I'm sure after Cook finishes him reign as the CEO of the world's most successful company you'll be back to say how Apple can possibly survive without Cook. You'll probably still use Jobs by saying how Cook was hand picked but Jobs isn't around to handpick his successor this next time.

2) Sure you don't. You don't hate anything Apple has done and you own all their stuff. You want to post some pics to prove it there, buddy?¡

Wow, you know your manners. In my post I never wanted to offend anyone and I did not lie. Why do you have to be so aggresive, defensive and why do you swear, call me or some other people I do not know parasites? I just wanted to write what I think about the latest iPhones. You may just disagree and answer me in a fine manner but I feel sorry that you do not have modesty or manners.

I repeat I did not lie. You say that "it is funny that people like you..." People like me? Do you know me? Well, I never claimed that Steve Jobs was only good at marketing and I always considered him genius. No, you do not know me. You want me to post some pictures to prove? After this kind of disrespectful talk of you? Prove to someone who talks me like that, swears and thinks that I lie? I only have two Apple products: Two iPod Touch 4th Gen. I use it with my wife everyday, we still like it a lot. I do not care if you do not believe me "buddy". 

By the way, you are telling me that I may buy an Android or something. Well, Android is still not its best. It requires too much RAM to run smoothly as WP or iOS usually run fine or better with half or even less RAM. I own a very low-end smartphone and use it just to talk, text and as a hotspot modem to use my iPod to surf. This is what I do for three years, I am not fan of Android, Windows or Apple. But you won't believe me, you're just prejudiced that anyone who writes something against iPhone is parasite, fanboy or stupid.  You made me sad today, thank you. 

• Reply 385 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How about you look at the fucking pictures and/or videos of CR v Apple's testing methods.

Consumer Report's 3 point flexural test setup is virtually identical to apple's 3 point bend test.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/1402098/DSCF7903.0.jpg

"The bottom line is that if you use enough force to bend an iPhone, or any phone, it's going to deform," says Dan Riccio, Apple's senior vice president of hardware engineering.

While that is true, he was trying to divert our attention from the fact: The 6/6+ are weaker and will bend with less force than most phones.

• Reply 386 of 429
  • Reply 387 of 429
    03n13 wrote: »
    ...why do you swear...

Boo-fucking-hoo!

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 388 of 429
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Consumer Report's 3 point flexural test setup is virtually identical to apple's 3 point bend test.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/1402098/DSCF7903.0.jpg

Lack of rollers in the CR's test allow the phone to slip on the left side.  They are not the same and "virtually" does not make it so.

My 9 year old can stand on the phone and it won't break.  The break pressures exhibited most likely do not reflect normal usage.

• Reply 389 of 429
    Quote:

But how you arrive at sales and customer satisfaction is via perception. Apple has historically been perceived by the general public as very desirable for the past sixteen years or so. Bendgate has the potential to damage that perception.

Perception is important, and isn't necessarily based on hard facts.

Besides Maps, I can't think of a perception problem that affected Apple negatively. And that's probably because Apple outrightly apologized for Maps which is the same as admitting to it. Personally, I never had a single problem with Maps and thought it was real for some but mostly generated by the media's love/hate Apple cycle. The antenna issues drove sales up. The iCloud nude celebrity photos scandal focused attention on Apple's services and gave Apple a voice as the company protecting your privacy and security against the government and advertisers. This bending issue is driving sales up.

You can only spin stats and specs so much. 10 million iPhones sold in one weekend is undeniable. Apple's customer satisfaction rating (not their internal one but the 3rd party ones) is higher than all competition and growing. That is why when the media can latch onto something negative or embarrassing for Apple, they are a pit bull. It will take dozens of "bend gates" to truly affect Apple's reputation.

• Reply 390 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

1. It's an editorial.

2. Apple didn't pull the 5 from stores

3. Rivals also had experience building smartphones, MP3 players, tablets prior to the iPhone, iPod, iPad. Look where it got them.

4. You know nothing about what Jobs would or wouldn't do.

What happened to you? You've been Odo'd!

It take about 70lbs of force to bend the iPhone. With physics, there is an opposite and equal force appled to your body. If you can't feel that and adjust your phone accordingly, I have nothing for you. Also, smart folks don't sit on their phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

1. It's an editorial.

2. Apple didn't pull the 5 from stores

3. Rivals also had experience building smartphones, MP3 players, tablets prior to the iPhone, iPod, iPad. Look where it got them.

4. You know nothing about what Jobs would or wouldn't do.

1. I agree, it is editorial. Does it mean that he/she cannot write unbiased?

2. It is a matter of what you believe. It is almost impossible to prove that Apple pulled them from stores. Apple has the right to have secrets and Apple can say this: "iPhone 5 is sold out". Any company who pulls devices from stores will not admit it. They will tell you that they sold them. If you think about iPhone 5's specs and 5C's specs, they are identical. Making the camera better does not prove that it is a brand new concept. It is the same phone with plastic covers and more expensive. I just do not believe that 5C is a different phonw than 5 or it is newer. Ofcourse I respect what you believe, I am just trying to exchange ideas and you are kind, you do not swear, thank you. 

3. You have a point, Apple championed the smartphone, tablet and MP3 player concept. I just think that iPhones reached its max potential with 4th gen and began to lose its premium idea of a smartphone. It is now a good smartphone, nothing more or less. 

4. Maybe I do not know anything, maybe I know something. I just do not believe that he wouldn't let iPhone make a non-flagship plastic model because iphone always associated with the words: Premium and Flagship. What Apple did was always something at its best in his era...

• Reply 391 of 429
    Quote:

The iphone 6 deforms at 70lbs. The iphone 5 deforms at 130lbs. 70/130= 53.8.

The fact is, the 6/6+ are weaker and will bend with less force than most phones. 

• Reply 392 of 429
    Quote:

The fact is, the 6/6+ are weaker and will bend with less force than most phones. 

Yes, iPhone 6 and 6+ bend easier than the other phones tested except for HTC. But what's the control for an acceptable phone strength? Just because iPhones are low on the list of tested phones doesn't make them too weak to sell and prone to damage. We have yet to find the phone that normally breaks during normal use. That would be the phone to place on the bottom of the list.

• Reply 393 of 429
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

is there any other likely way to accdientally bend any phone other than sitting on one in your back pocket?

is doing that anything other than "operator error"? like ... doing something real dumb?

do some people do dumb things like that? yes, definitely.

so ok, yes, such folks should not buy an iPhone. actually, they shouldn't buy any smartphone unless they can afford to replace it after breaking it.

or just get some armor-plated case for it.

so f'ing what?

• Reply 394 of 429
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    03n13 wrote: »

1. I agree, it is editorial. Does it mean that he/she cannot write unbiased?
    2. It is a matter of what you believe. It is almost impossible to prove that Apple pulled them from stores. Apple has the right to have secrets and Apple can say this: "iPhone 5 is sold out". Any company who pulls devices from stores will not admit it. They will tell you that they sold them. If you think about iPhone 5's specs and 5C's specs, they are identical. Making the camera better does not prove that it is a brand new concept. It is the same phone with plastic covers and more expensive. I just do not believe that 5C is a different phonw than 5 or it is newer. Ofcourse I respect what you believe, I am just trying to exchange ideas and you are kind, you do not swear, thank you. 
    3. You have a point, Apple championed the smartphone, tablet and MP3 player concept. I just think that iPhones reached its max potential with 4th gen and began to lose its premium idea of a smartphone. It is now a good smartphone, nothing more or less. 
    4. Maybe I do not know anything, maybe I know something. I just do not believe that he wouldn't let iPhone make a non-flagship plastic model because iphone always associated with the words: Premium and Flagship. What Apple did was always something at its best in his era...
    1. Editorials are biased. That's why they are opinion pieces

2. Why would Apple remove them? Wouldn't they get more sales by selling them? Plus they still sell refurbished 5s. (Oh yeah: **** that shit. :))

3. I disagree. Apple is constantly improving them. It may not be evolutionary but there are improvements. how many times must Apple remake a market?

4. Fair enough. the 5C plastic isn't the same as other vendors' plastic. And the 5C wasn't the flagship. Jobs wouldn't have made iTunes/iPods for Windows without being internally pushed. But Jobs probably would have done more colors as with the original iMac and iPods as evidence.
  • Reply 395 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

You must be new here

You must be topping this list of understated responses! 

• Reply 396 of 429
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    wigby wrote: »
    russell wrote: »

Yes, iPhone 6 and 6+ bend easier than the other phones tested except for HTC. But what's the control for an acceptable phone strength? Just because iPhones are low on the list of tested phones doesn't make them too weak to sell and prone to damage. We have yet to find the phone that normally breaks during normal use. That would be the phone to place on the bottom of the list.

That's one of the problems with long threads like this. There is an apparently inexhaustible supply of people who can't be bothered to read the discussion and just end up posting the same arguments with the same flawed assumptions over and over again.
  • Reply 397 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

That's one of the problems with long threads like this. There is an apparently inexhaustible supply of people who can't be bothered to read the discussion and just end up posting the same arguments with the same flawed assumptions over and over again.

Agreed. Most people get by with a headline and an image of a bent iPhone. Either they know that they will never bend their own phones (iPhone or otherwise) or they hate Apple and want to see them taken down a notch. In either case, they are ignorant and spreading FUD. Usual internet stuff. The only ones that bother me are the ones demanding recalls. They would never demand recalls of their own phones or any other Android device (even though all metal phones can be bent and all plastic phones can be broken) but the media has given them a sense of entitlement to ask for the unreasonable. This same media has also fed into the videos of kids going into Apple stores and bending phones now. Those videos are just beginning to surface but they'll stop once all Apple employees are notified and given the green light to contact authorities.

• Reply 398 of 429
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Agreed. Most people get by with a headline and an image of a bent iPhone. Either they know that they will never bend their own phones (iPhone or otherwise) or they hate Apple and want to see them taken down a notch. In either case, they are ignorant and spreading FUD. Usual internet stuff. The only ones that bother me are the ones demanding recalls. They would never demand recalls of their own phones or any other Android device (even though all metal phones can be bent and all plastic phones can be broken) but the media has given them a sense of entitlement to ask for the unreasonable. This same media has also fed into the videos of kids going into Apple stores and bending phones now. Those videos are just beginning to surface but they'll stop once all Apple employees are notified and given the green light to contact authorities.

And therein lies your blindness.

Most people don't think they will never bend their iPhones or hate Apple. Most people are somewhere in between, not as rabid as the Appolytes on this forum, nor as frothing as the Android apologists, or Andrologists, if you will.

• Reply 399 of 429
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    wigby wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »

I wouldn't get too bothered by it - it seems to happen regularly with Apple products but doesn't persist when the products become widely used. The weaker HTC One is a highly regarded phone, and no one seems to be complaining about it bending in use and I haven't seen any viral videos of its wanton destruction. But then so far, I haven't heard of more than a small handful of complaints about the 6 or 6+ bending in use. All we have is the latest internet meme of "hold my beer and watch me bend this iPhone" being jumped on by everyone from competitors to the usual sad anti-Apple contingent trying to argue that if it can be bent by hand then it won't survive your pocket.

The internet sure does expose the widespread inability to read, comprehend and reason.
  • Reply 400 of 429
    Quote:

And therein lies your blindness.

Most people don't think they will never bend their iPhones or hate Apple. Most people are somewhere in between, not as rabid as the Appolytes on this forum, nor as frothing as the Android apologists, or Andrologists, if you will.

I think I covered most people commenting negatively fairly. 95% of the people (liars) don't think their phones will magically bend and the other 5% are people that profit (bloggers, consumers feeling better about their non-Apple purchases, "journalists") directly or indirectly by attacking Apple.

You used a double negative. Do you really mean to say that most people think they will bend their phones? Why would they buy them? Do they have no sense at all. I can understand that they might pause for a moment if they just read the headlines and look at bent phone pics. But who is watching the videos and believing that the very phone they might have will be easily bent after watching these guys struggle to bend the phone. I want to meet those people.