Apple Watch's advanced AMOLED display far more costly than traditional screens - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74

We'll call the 'display' that bit of the watch that includes the cover glass/sapphire, the actual AMOLED component, touch layer, etc.  That whole thing?  That's not flexible.  It's rigid.  But underneath resides a piezoelectric layer that generates a current based upon pressure applied to the display, as the user presses his finger on the display and therefore increases the pressure transferred to the piezoelectric layer.  The display doesn't bend, flex, or deform in any manner.

OK. I distinctly remembered it being illustrated as a "ripple" type effect in the animation. Not the best way to illustrate the above function I guess.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    See 1;07:38 in

[VIDEO]

I originally responded to multiple posts -- don't know if it was you or someone else who claimed the Apple Watch display was not flexible ...

As to your other point, re the SX chip being replaceable -- I think that is a good idea -- especially for those who buy a watch as a fashion statement.

In addition to the SX, chip, it would be advantageous to have the cases, bands, etc. replaceable, too.

I suspect the Apple Watch 2 will add cell, telephony, gps, etc. and be able to obviate carrying an iPhone for most purposes. To power this, I suspect that some bands will contain squishy (flexible?) batteries -- and recharge the watch through the band connectors to the case.

So, call me inflexible -- but, I'm willing to discuss mobile restaurants ...

Funny what sticks in the brain sometimes. Yup... I knew I saw a "ripple" in there... I just visually interpreted it wrong.

I've agreed with your views in the weeks leading up to the ?Watch... and see no reason not to again 100%.

Now about that "Truck Buddies" name... I did have some very good success with a G. (g-spot) logo years ago for a hair dresser. Cheap shots can be very memorable :)
  • Reply 43 of 74
    [vid]
    I originally responded to multiple posts -- don't know if it was you or someone else who claimed the Apple Watch display was not flexible ...

1) I wouldn't have made any such statement as fact. I am even asking how they know it's AMOLED even though that is what I expected it to be for years now even though it (like NFC) have been curse words on this site.

2) Note that Ive states "it's been laminated [..] single crystal of sapphire," which doesn't answer my question about that display being malleable by the user, especially when he follows it up with how hard sapphire is. his comment could be also be inferred to mean flexible in a not literal/physical sense, even though I think that is what he's saying. Again, will the display physically warp when pressed with your finger? I still have no answer to that simple question based on that special event video.

Funny what sticks in the brain sometimes. Yup... I knew I saw a "ripple" in there... I just visually interpreted it wrong.)

Ive states it senses touch and force, he does not say the physical display will warp under a normal force load. I'd think that to accurately measure force, like with a Wacom digitizer, you would need to have a permanently fixed display. If not, you would then need to have an additional substrate under the flexible display to measure how it acts upon the permanently fixed substrate to measure force, but that seems like you're adding complexity and thickness for no good reason.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I wouldn't have made any such statement as fact. I am even asking how they know it's AMOLED even though that is what I expected it to be for years now even though it (like NFC) have been curse words on this site.

2) Note that Ive states "it's been laminated [..] single crystal of sapphire," which doesn't answer my question about that display being malleable by the user, especially when he follows it up with how hard sapphire is. his comment could be also be inferred to mean flexible in a not literal/physical sense, even though I think that is what he's saying. Again, will the display physically warp when pressed with your finger? I still have no answer to that simple question based on that special event video.

I would say no to 2)... and that you're correct in Ive's usage of "flexible" meaning in function and not physically.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    The neat thing about a mass-market luxury technology product, of which I can think of no other than the Apple Watch, is that the innards drop in cost along the technology cost curve we've all become accustomed to, while the exterior design and materials allow the purveyor to maintain high prices associated with luxury goods and a wide range of prices based upon alterations to the design and materials applied.  This Apple Watch is going to be a paradigm shift in the world of mass-market electronics.

I think you're on to something ...

I just got my iP6+.

The family have: iP6, iP5C, iP5 and iP4S.

Sitting in front of me, SIMless, are a 64GB iP5S, and a 64GB iP5 ... (and every other iPhone back to, and including, the original iPhone 2G).

Mostly the iP4 on are in excellent shape -- but the batteries are losing their ability to hold a charge, lesser performance, lesser camera ...

At some point, I suspect that the iPhone will be feature complete [enough] that it will lose the appeal of annual replacement.

I believe that the Apple Watch will replace the need to carry a watch for many people.

As technology improves (and gets smaller) there could be an upgrade [your current device] market in addition to a replacement market.

It would be fashionably retro to pull out an old iPhone or Apple Watch to use ...

Edit: Oh ... I meant to add your:

"This Apple Watch is going to be a paradigm shift in the world of mass-market electronics."

Could also mean a departure from existing rigid [annual] release schedules.

This could mean that the device hardware upgrades are available whenever the tech is ready -- rather than being dictated by the calendar or service providers (carriers).

If the Apple Watch/Apple Pay disrupts shopping/buying/paying as I believe it will ...

Every 11-year-old and above will use the Apple Watch to:
    • pay for school lunch
    • pay for a movie
    • pay for a school football game
    • gift a friend ...
    • buy expensive stuff

All the while tracking budget/purchases, health/fitness, home access ...
  • Reply 46 of 74
    solipsismx wrote: »

I would say no to 2)... and that you're correct in Ive's usage of "flexible" meaning in function and not physically.

I've gone both ways about the flexibility ...

My initial take was that the display sensors could tell the difference between a tap and a hard press by:
    1. the duration of the touch
    2. the area encompassed by the touch -- a hard press would activate more sensors because the depressed finger would cover a larger area of the display

I was perfectly satisfied with this -- until I watched the keynote again ... Ive seems to be discussing (and illustrating) the physical flexibility of the display.

AFAICT, Apple has not answered specific questions about this.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the SDK (no promised date) or 2015 announcement ...

Also, I suspect that there are a lot of capabilities that Apple didn't discuss in the keynote ... E.g., maybe TouchID sensors are built into the display ...
  • Reply 47 of 74
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That guy doesn't look small and yet that watch seems very thick on his wrist.

It doesn't look any thicker than a normal watch.  Watches are always thick...

• Reply 48 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

As to your other point, re the SX chip being replaceable -- I think that is a good idea -- especially for those who buy a watch as a fashion statement.

In addition to the SX, chip, it would be advantageous to have the cases, bands, etc. replaceable, too.

I suspect the Apple Watch 2 will add cell, telephony, gps, etc. and be able to obviate carrying an iPhone for most purposes. To power this, I suspect that some bands will contain squishy (flexible?) batteries -- and recharge the watch through the band connectors to the case.

Unless battery tech changes a lot, or they make a SOC and screen that's 100% more efficient, Apple will not add GPS, cell functions, etc. That's were the limitations are. So, that's not for 2016 for sure, more like 2018 at best.

• Reply 49 of 74
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Unless battery tech changes a lot, or they make a SOC and screen that's 100% more efficient, Apple will not add GPS, cell functions, etc. That's were the limitations are. So, that's not for 2016 for sure, more like 2018 at best.

Just to underscore your point.... Battery tech has been stalled for a long time. It may see a sudden revolution, but I don't think future plans can be made on that expectation. They could very possibly improve the efficiency of their SoC 100% by going to a smaller process in a year or two or three, but they would use that to add more capability, I think. And they've already gone to a more efficient screen by switching to AMOLED. (That was possible on the watch because Apple decides from the get-go what it's going to have to display, and they're not going to have any pages full of white, like a web browser needs to show—so there would be no real advantage to it on the iPhone or iPad.)

So I can't see any of these power-hungry functions being offloaded onto the watch either.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    <iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="385" src="" width="640"></iframe>

That's the beauty of the Apple Watch bands ...

All but the most fashionable bands could contain squishy batteries approximating (or exceeding) the battery capacity in the iPhone. These would keep the battery in the watch topped off ...

When you wear a watch for a fashion statement, you would, likely, not use a battery band band (but you could) -- opting, instead for a fashion.

I suspect that most Apple Watch owners will purchase multiple bands to satisfy multiple use cases.

It only takes a few seconds to switch bands -- to give your watch a new look (and a fresh battery).
  • Reply 51 of 74
    jerry602 wrote: »
    With a full year of manufacturing capacity build out and advancement, seems like a logical conclusion to draw is OLED coming soon to iphone for the battery life advantage.

Can Apple OLED TV be far behind?
  • Reply 52 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

All but the most fashionable bands could contain squishy batteries approximating (or exceeding) the battery capacity in the iPhone. These would keep the battery in the watch topped off ...

Depending upon the rate of discharge, isn't there potential for excessive heat around your wrist?  I know both my phone and iPad can generate more than a little of that in heavy use...

• Reply 53 of 74
    pscooter63 wrote: »

Depending upon the rate of discharge, isn't there potential for excessive heat around your wrist?  I know both my phone and iPad can generate more than a little of that in heavy use...

Waiting for the first idiot that shorts his watchband battery just to see what happens, and it burns his hand off. Hoop-of-flame-gate!
  • Reply 54 of 74

Just to underscore your point.... Battery tech has been stalled for a long time. It may see a sudden revolution, but I don't think future plans can be made on that expectation. They could very possibly improve the efficiency of their SoC 100% by going to a smaller process in a year or two or three, but they would use that to add more capability, I think. And they've already gone to a more efficient screen by switching to AMOLED. (That was possible on the watch because Apple decides from the get-go what it's going to have to display, and they're not going to have any pages full of white, like a web browser needs to show—so there would be no real advantage to it on the iPhone or iPad.)

So I can't see any of these power-hungry functions being offloaded onto the watch either.

What Apple is really good at is: doing a lot of little things that add up to the desired results.

I've already hypothesiced that they will put additional squishy batteries in the removable bands -- I believe they have patents on this tech.

Another big thing they could do to reduce battery requirements is to use Static RAM (SRAM) instead of Dynamic RAM (DRAM). SRAM does not need to be continuously refreshed -- it retains state. Supposedly Apple and Micron are working on a RAM solution -- may involve SoS (Silicon on Sapphire).

Then, there's cores and clocking of the CPU and GPU ...

Then, combined radios (cell, WiFi, Bluetooth).

Then reduced function on the watch if an accompanying iPhone is NA ... no photos, last n emails, texts, etc. Fewer notifications, etc.

Then, there is data -- specifically, transmission, storage, manipulation and display efficiency. Things like HTML, CSV, XML and JSON are horribly inefficient for transmission, storage, manipulation and display of data. Apple could/should develop data protocols that are closer to the iron of the watch and the specific uses of the watch. With little effort, new data protocols could reduce the actual workload of the watch hardware by 40%-70%.

Then, there are hundreds of additional tweaks to the watch OS and the apps -- to make them more battery-efficient.

This is a discipline -- one at which Apple excels.
  • Reply 55 of 74

I suppose there could be. Though I expect that the iOS and apps running on the Apple Watch will be a lot closer to the iRon than either the iPhone or iPad ...

If an iPhone isn't available, I would expect the watch would not be allowed to do any heavy lifting to replace that normally done on the iPhone -- no viewing pictures or searching email, for example.

And the batteries in the band would continuously trickle charge the battery on the watch, itself.

I had several iPhone battery packs over the years -- never detected any heat problems.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I did notice on the demo's the AppleWatch screens were extremely bright.  These are NOT cheap screens.

Who is supplying the screens?  Is it SAMDUNG?

Can't wait for Mr Frost to come here and say this product is already a failure.

Actually Apple was a big part of the dev'ing of their new iPhone screens and not simply just buying parts here and there as Samsung and others would like you to think.

• Reply 57 of 74

Waiting for the first idiot that shorts his watchband battery just to see what happens, and it burns his hand off. Hoop-of-flame-gate!

Or, burns a hole in his brain by placing an iPhone to his ear ...
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I did notice on the demo's the AppleWatch screens were extremely bright.  These are NOT cheap screens.

Who is supplying the screens?  Is it SAMDUNG?

Can't wait for Mr Frost to come here and say this product is already a failure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I expect the "lock" screen will be custom settable much like iPhones with perhaps more widget type notification options...

Lock screen will be one of many available watch faces that will be swipe to open or paired with your iPhone to unlock via TouchID.

• Reply 59 of 74

The more I see this watch, the better it looks. 

It'll be a quality device, no doubt about it. 

• Reply 60 of 74
    What Apple is really good at is: doing a lot of little things that add up to the desired results.

I've already hypothesiced that they will put additional squishy batteries in the removable bands -- I believe they have patents on this tech.

Another big thing they could do to reduce battery requirements is to use Static RAM (SRAM) instead of Dynamic RAM (DRAM). SRAM does not need to be continuously refreshed -- it retains state. Supposedly Apple and Micron are working on a RAM solution -- may involve SoS (Silicon on Sapphire).

Then, there's cores and clocking of the CPU and GPU ...

Then, combined radios (cell, WiFi, Bluetooth).

Then reduced function on the watch if an accompanying iPhone is NA ... no photos, last n emails, texts, etc. Fewer notifications, etc.

Then, there is data -- specifically, transmission, storage, manipulation and display efficiency. Things like HTML, CSV, XML and JSON are horribly inefficient for transmission, storage, manipulation and display of data. Apple could/should develop data protocols that are closer to the iron of the watch and the specific uses of the watch. With little effort, new data protocols could reduce the actual workload of the watch hardware by 40%-70%.

Then, there are hundreds of additional tweaks to the watch OS and the apps -- to make them more battery-efficient.

This is a discipline -- one at which Apple excels.

Apple is working on that too. i found this link to their safari blog interesting with all of the optimizations they've made for iOS8. I was originally planning on posting this to the Great RAM Debate... but fit's here as well.

http://www.mobilexweb.com/blog/safari-ios8-iphone6-web-developers-designers