Apple caters to minimalists by offering blank home screen option in iOS 8

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Right, but the lock screen has a place for a photo.  Why would you want to unlock your device to get to a screen that doesn't let you do anything (except access the 4 apps at the bottom)?  I don't know about you, but I like my "home" to be a place where I can work, not be one step away from where I can work.

Well that's why it's an "option".

Some people will appreciate the simpler "introduction" screen look and others will not.  The lock screen is very transient, the home screen is visible for longer periods of time.

• Reply 42 of 68

• Reply 43 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

Isn't your other dog jealous that it isn't pictured too? J/k

I have three dogs, and yes the other two are both jealous. But in this particular pic, the Mrs. is showing cleavage. LOL

• Reply 44 of 68

When’s the last time we got a new screensaver in OS X? When’s the last time anyone, anywhere, for any reason, at any time USED a screensaver?

Do people REALLY still have plasma TVs and CRT monitors hooked to their computers?

It's better to shut off the signal to the monitor if the machine is not in use. Most monitors, including most CRTs from the mid-1990s had auto standby if the computer went to sleep. Not only does that save energy, it addresses wear on CRTs, plasma, and backlights of LCD monitors, as well as projector lamps. Screensavers have none of those benefits.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    trubador wrote: »
    I have three dogs, and yes the other two are both jealous. But in this particular pic, the Mrs. is showing cleavage. LOL
    Cleavage is an odd name for the dog. What do you call the other two?
  • Reply 46 of 68
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Terrible idea. People know where their apps are and would throw a fit if they moved around for absolutely no reason.

Actually I don't know where all my stuff is now - I have so many things buried in folders on several screens and more often than not I resort to using the search function to find what I am looking for. And there have been cases when moving from one device generation to another - or doing a restore for whatever reason - or major cleaning - that all the careful arranging I had done was lost. Far worse on Windows - especially on the desktop than on the Mac or iOS - but still it happens. 

At the very least some way to have the device tell me which are my least used or longest since last use - along the lines of the battery usage - to help manage apps. 

Operating systems and applications often have a Recently Used Items list. 

So while I respect your opinion that for you a dynamic arrangement doesn't seem like a good idea - that does not mean that it is a patently bad idea that could not be implemented in a useful way for someone else. 

• Reply 47 of 68
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,895moderator

I'm that breed of minimalist who prefers a solid color home screen that looks good behind my app icons.  So I use a nice rich blue image.  The OS uses that to create a lighter color for the area at the bottom of the display where your four locked app icons appear and with the particular blue I choose, the lighter color derived from it looks great.

Note that these colors will not look as nice if you're viewing this comment on a Mac or PC as they look on an iPhone or iPad display. They are darker on the iDevice displays.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/50076/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 48 of 68
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

Why would anybody want to do this?

looks like an OSX desktop with just a dock showing. 

• Reply 49 of 68
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,046member
    I've spoken with people that complain about stupid stuff like "but I don't like iOS because I can't have hexagonal icons" or "it can't have a sound [insert dog bark, whoosh, scream, etc. here] when I launch an app."

Wimps. It works really well. Be happy with that.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    My wife and sister were both doing this on iOS 7. Not sure why everyone is making such a big deal.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [I][SIZE=5]"I also would have accepted: Blank? BLANK?! You're not looking at the big picture."[/SIZE][/I]
  • Reply 52 of 68
    lawrance wrote: »
    I'd be more excited about this if weather / time widgets could be installed on the front page too.
    1.Clock app, 2. It's so hard to go to Notification Center.
  • Reply 53 of 68

simply a waste of time , this site has gone down hill so much as of late. Most articles are found on other rumour sites before here. This one is complete BS as I have been doing this for a while now in iOS 7, as have many other users, as noted in posts above. Way to go AI. WAJ.

• Reply 54 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

Cleavage is an odd name for the dog. What do you call the other two?

"Thirty-Five" and "C"  ;)

• Reply 55 of 68
    lilgto64 wrote: »
    How about a dynamic arrangement where the main screen contains the apps you use most frequently - with a last page of apps you use the most rarely - marking them as targets for removal from the device to free up space or remind you of an app you had forgotten about. 

Sony did this with the PlayStation 4 UI and quite frankly it sucks. Nothing is in a consistent location making it more difficult to use the system.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    tiptytipty Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

Apple should bring the Chameleon Home Screen Technology to iOS.

It is like combining the sophistication of Notification Center with the customized grid layout of Windows 8, and placing it on your screen.

Chameleon would work great for the iPod, iPhone, iPad, and the Mac desktop.

Chameleon would be perfect if Apple made it possible to run iOS as a virtual machine on your desktop, and use the Chameleon interface that would connect both OS environments in one application.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaborvida/chameleon-a-better-home-screen-for-your-android-ta-0

Wow I like this. Could we make this a thing like how the "camera roll" is back again?

• Reply 57 of 68
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

"Apple caters to minimalists by offering blank home screen option in iOS 8"

...I thought they'd been 'catering to minimalists' for at least the last couple releases.

Or whenever Mr. Ive got his mitts on the look.

• Reply 58 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    "I also would have accepted: Blank? BLANK?! You're not looking at the big picture."

You dusted that one off just for this. Why didn't you include the cartoon?
  • Reply 59 of 68
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    How about a more useful feature, like a DARK GUI sculpted mode, to accommodate those of us that hate the bright white, flat, buttonless, bright, thin-fonted, non-differentiated dullness that is the iOS 7 GUI?
  • Reply 60 of 68
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    lawrance wrote: »
    I'd be more excited about this if weather / time widgets could be installed on the front page too.

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am that this is not possible.