Plastc unveils new iOS-connected payment card with e-ink touchscreen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Caveat: Order today. Credit card charged today. (Maybe) shipped 10 months from now. And good luck on the refund if they go out of business before then.

Otherwise, I kind of like it. Not DOA for me. Mag stripe functionality makes it useful. Not sure how they / if they modify the mag stripe depending on the card you select to use.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    I need a universal card for my parking cards and whatnot where i work. If it can handle all my credit cards its a good thing as long as there is password authentication.

It also has to work and be ACCEPTED by retailers. If ANY company does not allow it, or for some reason it doesnt work, you still have to have your while pile of cards with you which makes the thing useless.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    rob bonner wrote: »
    Not sure why everyone is so concerned with how secure, we have had a few charges and the credit card company always just removes them.

I hope you are kidding... Entire lives have been disrupted by the magnitude of credit and identity fraud related issues with many folks that i know.

Just count yourself lucky, you and I are in the same boat with only "minor charges" being an issue.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

Not sure why everyone is so concerned with how secure, we have had a few charges and the credit card company always just removes them.

At the expense of the credit card company which is why reducing fraudulent purchases let's them keep more profit. 

As for Apple Pay terminals.  By 2015 I believe all pay stations will require EMV (chip) support anyways so those establishments that don't have NFC solutions will soon as they are forced to upgrade their terminal hardware. 

Apple really is hitting the market at the right time with Apple Pay. 

• Reply 25 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    blazar wrote: »
    I hope you are kidding... Entire lives have been disrupted by the magnitude of credit and identity fraud related issues with many folks that i know.

Just count yourself lucky, you and I are in the same boat with only "minor charges" being an issue.

?Pay will not solve identity fraud. One will still be able to use the same methods to get access to people's personal information that they can use to piggy back on someone else's good name. At most, this simply makes it a little more difficult insofar the direct theft of a CC number (and possibly a name) can't be done via the merchant or by accessing their servers, but an identity thief could still get your name and tax ID number from the normal methods and have CC cards issued to them to some other address which they could use to buy an iPhone 6 series at an Apple Store and then put that CC (and others) into their new iPhone 6. Although I would assume most wouldn't put the card into ?Pay because that phone does tie to them even if the cellular account is not in their name because the GPS will have their location which would make it fairly easily to track if law enforcement wanted to find that individual.

PS: I think everyone needs to monitor their credit at least once a year. This yearly 3-bureau check is free in the US. I also recommend that parents do this every year for their children as soon as a tax ID number is generated for their offspring because as an adult you're more likely to get a notion of fraud long before a child that could have some low life using their ruining their credit history for a decade or more. Just set a yearly calendar reminder for it. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

While I'd rather use ApplePay as it would be more secure by far, I mean just a couple weeks ago Wells Fargo Fraud department called me on a Saturday shorty after I got out of bed and told me there was a couple charges on it that morning for some Pills.  I don't remember what kind, but I sure didn't place the order.   The transactions didn't go threw, but they had to cancel that card.  I had to go to Wells Fargo and pick up a Temp card while a new one was mailed to me.  I have to go though and change my Credit Card info for Netflix, Amazon, The garbage company and so on and so on.   Talking about a hassle, and to top it off, this is the 3rd time it's happened to me!!!  It seems to happen once a year.

How whoever got my number?!?!?    Still, if I can toss all the cards in my Wallet and have just 1, GREAT!    One of the things is if the card gets to far away from your phone, all the data on it is wiped off!!  So if somehow you lose your wallet, or get pick pocket, all your Credit Card Data will disappear from that 1 card!!!   If you get the card back to you, all the Data will be restored.   So that's kind of cool.  Once a month charging is not a big deal, I could live with that.  Better then 1 year and then having to replace.  It also seems to work with everything including the Chip/Pin thing coming to the U.S.     ApplePay isn't going to be everywhere. Far from it.  I plan to use it as much as I can, but when I can't, this looks like a solution.  I wish the price was a bit less, but it does put the other one to shame.

• Reply 27 of 47
    Too bad it's so far away from shipping because this is the perfect compliment to Apple Pay while the stores catch up to support it.

I don't think the Photo ID on that display will keep me from having to carry my driver's license but depending on how easy the process is for adding cards to the app, this could mean I have my phone, driver's license, and this card and that's it. A nice case with just enough room for 2 or 3 cards and now I have everything I need.

Very attractive for the next few years while stores catch up.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

This will be an awesome device for criminals.  I (if I were a criminal) would love to have a way to turn the credit card numbers I copied off your card into an actual card I can use in brick and mortar stores.  Being limited to ecommerce sites having having stuff shipped to a known address is much riskier.

• Reply 29 of 47
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: I think everyone needs to monitor their credit at least once a year. This yearly 3-bureau check is free in the US. I also recommend that parents do this every year for their children as soon as a tax ID number is generated for their offspring because as an adult you're more likely to get a notion of fraud long before a child that could have some low life using their ruining their credit history for a decade or more. Just set a yearly calendar reminder for it. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

What's the best site for getting the yearly free check?  NPR had a story the other day that confirmed my belief that many, if not most, of the "free" credit check sites are a scam to get you signed up for services you don't need and will have a hard time canceling.

• Reply 30 of 47
    malax wrote: »
    What's the best site for getting the yearly free check?  NPR had a story the other day that confirmed my belief that many, if not most, of the "free" credit check sites are a scam to get you signed up for services you don't need and will have a hard time canceling.

I can't say that this will not get you signed up for anything as I do pay Experian a monthly fee to keep track of my credit (I get notifications when my credit goes up or down, inquires are made, etc.; this year following their dynamic tutorials I've taken it from 700 to 800 point), but I do know this is a free check by federal law. If you're concerned you can do the phone or mail form so you'll only risk getting snail mail "spam," but I haven't noticed any spam from signing up with Experian.

• Reply 31 of 47
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    malax wrote: »

http://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/get-my-free-credit-report

Edit: for a more comprehensive explanation:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0155-free-credit-reports
  • Reply 32 of 47
    mehranmehran Posts: 53member

I use creditkarma.com and they have behaved well which is not my experience with the other 3 credit score companies.  I use their iPhone app and get email alert if there is a change in my history.

I froze my credit history at the same time since I am not planning to make any change which also will not allow anyone to open a new account using stolen info about me.

Good luck. 

• Reply 33 of 47
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Wow! Totally elegant and totally cool in my own opinion. Ok I can now take all my cards with me especially if I don't want to take my phone. Curious if it's water proof as handy when surfing but come on guys this is the best innovation in creditcards as far as creditcards go! Love it, want it.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Obvious question is "does it bend?"
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Obvious question is "does it bend?"

Good question. If that's going to be in your pocket then Consumer Reports needs to see how much force it can take¡
  • Reply 36 of 47
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Everywhere i shop (here in australia) has pay wave setup, so when apple pay comes out here (i hope) it shouldn't be much of a change.

its gonna make my life easier, here pay wave has a $100 limit though. 

• Reply 37 of 47
    I%u2019m really disappointed in the CoinCard & glad I only per-ordered so I was able to ask for a full refund. This Plastc card has some real benefits over the CoinCard. To name a few the chip, the rechargeable battery, the remote wipe, & still being able to use when dead as it locks to a default card. My question is $155? One must question if these additional features justify the $100 difference between the two? I completely agree we will always need a back up physical card for swipes and such. but the question I still ask is at .8mm thick that's still .5mm thicker then the standard Credit Card. Are we even sure this is going to fit inside ATMs and any machine you have to insert the entire card? I wish Coin would have been released this summer, but I can wait until they work through all the bugs and let%u2019s not forget the ATM is a def make it or break it for me. I did discover one life changing thing out of this ( I call it life changing because I use my wallet and iPhone everyday, its a marriage of my EDC essentials). I was searching for the perfect wallet for the coin and found this. Works on most phones and holds up to 4 cards (even sticks to nonporous cases!). Looks great on my new iPhone 6. Called Kapotas Wallet, find it here.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/205117110/kapotas-the-ultimate-minimalist-wallet?
  • Reply 38 of 47

I’m really disappointed in the CoinCard & glad I only per-ordered so I was able to ask for a full refund. This Plastc card has some real benefits over the CoinCard. To name a few the chip, the rechargeable battery, the remote wipe, & still being able to use when dead as it locks to a default card. My question is $155? One must question if these additional features justify the $100 difference between the two? I completely agree we will always need a back up physical card for swipes and such. but the question I still ask is at .8mm thick that's still .5mm thicker then the standard Credit Card. Are we even sure this is going to fit inside ATMs and any machine you have to insert the entire card? I wish Coin would have been released this summer, but I can wait until they work through all the bugs and let’s not forget the ATM is  a def make it or break it for me. I did discover one life changing thing out of this ( I call it life changing because I use my wallet and iPhone everyday, its a marriage of my EDC essentials). I was searching for the perfect wallet for the coin and found this. Works on most phones and holds up to 4 cards (even sticks to nonporous cases!). Looks great on my new iPhone 6. Called Kapotas Wallet, find it here.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/205117110/kapotas-the-ultimate-minimalist-wallet?

• Reply 39 of 47

Just pre-ordered, with a $20 coupon, used my new credit card bonus :-)

• Reply 40 of 47
    $20 off a Plastc pre-order if anyone needs it.

http://share.plastc.com/x/Lvq604