Apple will not unveil MacBook Air with Retina display at Thursday event - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

It's been too long since Apple updated the Thunderbolt display. A Retina Thunderbolt Display as thin as the iMac will be most welcome. As for the Mac Pro, I don't want Apple to surprise me every few years with something revolutionary. I want Apple to have a clear, stable (and boring) roadmap that says: "we will update the Mac Pro 3 months after Intel updates their chips"

I wouldn't mind seeing an iMac without the chin. Not sure how they'd redesign the speaker placement but a chinless iMac would be awesome.

Why? 

• Reply 42 of 101

If Apple drop the 13.3" MacBook Air, making 12" the largest, that would be a significant downgrade. It strikes me as an odd move. It would essentially mean that you would need to buy a MacBook Pro at great extra expense in order to get a decent screen size. 

• Reply 43 of 101
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

Time to switch to the A9.

Unless it doubles performance per core again (unlikely, single threaded gains are harder and harder to come by...They could do it by moving to 4 cores, but those would not help single and dual thread bound apps), I'd rather wait for Broadwell. Now, a separate product from the Air using an A9 could be interesting, ie the much fabled iPad Pro with a keyboard a la Microsoft Surface. But as for the proper Macs, it's still worth sticking to Intel.  

And I think the GPU gulf would be even larger than the CPU one. 

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=4260u ;

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=iphone+6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If Apple drop the 13.3" MacBook Air, making 12" the largest, that would be a significant downgrade. It strikes me as an odd move. It would essentially mean that you would need to buy a MacBook Pro at great extra expense in order to get a decent screen size. 

And...You think Apple would find getting more money bad? :P 

The 13" Air and rMBP aren't even that different in price, 200 bones I think. A price drop to make them 100 apart would make the rMBP a no brainer every time. Then the 12", if it's significantly smaller (shave those bezels, Apple!) would serve a different market. Right now they're too similar, even down to performance. 

• Reply 44 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

Time to switch to the A9.

Unless it doubles performance per core again (unlikely, single threaded gains are harder and harder to come by...They could do it by moving to 4 cores, but those would not help single and dual thread bound apps), I'd rather wait for Broadwell. Now, a separate product from the Air using an A9 could be interesting, ie the much fabled iPad Pro with a keyboard a la Microsoft Surface. But as for the proper Macs, it's still worth sticking to Intel.  

And I think the GPU gulf would be even larger than the CPU one. 

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=4260u ;

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=iphone+6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

And...You think Apple would find getting more money bad? :P 

The 13" Air and rMBP aren't even that different in price, 200 bones I think. A price drop to make them 100 apart would make the rMBP a no brainer every time. Then the 12", if it's significantly smaller (shave those bezels, Apple!) would serve a different market. Right now they're too similar, even down to performance. 

I agree. I think the Air would really become starter market only. I mean, why not buy a 13" iPad? I feel that if they make the Air 12" only, it becomes redundant, and not something that Steve Jobs would have done. If you want the advantages of a laptop, you might as well buy the Pro.

• Reply 45 of 101
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Sounds like a good reason why Apple would do exactly that.  Apple doesn't need 2 13" retina laptops and (shortly) won't be selling any non-retina display devices/computers.

• Reply 46 of 101

That's great news.

Apple is releasing products faster than my employer is releasing paychecks! I'm just about to pay my credit card bill for the iPhone 6+!

Since iOS 8 moves like molasses on my iPad 2 I'm gonna have to buy whatever they release this week. Personally, I wouldn't mind if we didn't see an updated notebook until early next year.

Need more paychecks!

• Reply 47 of 101

Actually with third party add on http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/ one can airplay to a Mac or PC...

• Reply 48 of 101
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehran View Post

I think Apple has started to move all of its displays to higher res and more easily scalable to HD and 4K.  Only reason against the change would be availability of the display from manufacturers so this is a matter of when.

4K content is still years away not sure apple is going to jump that far ahead, they tend not to lead in these areas especially if people can not see the immediate benefit. Retina are not easy to make and the bigger the display the hard it is to get a good display. 27" is big and jumping form a 10" panal to 27" panel not easy. Also Apple can not afford what happen the last time with the 27" which took 2 months to get volume production worked out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

There still a surprising number of people that haven't quite moved to the "laptop" way of living yet, and think that a computer needs to be a big box (or not-so-big in this case) sitting on a desk. Lots of people buying their first Mac this way. 

I agree, but the tend over years have been away from desk tops. Personally I like have a big desktop at home, it allows me to do things I can never do on a laptop. I person drop using a Laptop and use a phone, Ipad and My 27" imac. Not my son at school we did the laptop with a 27" external display and keyboard and mouse and he has a iphone.

I just see to much risk making the jump a large retina display, maybe Apple does not sell lots of 27" macs so they feel they can afford the risk

• Reply 49 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

4K content is still years away not sure apple is going to jump that far ahead, they tend not to lead in these areas especially if people can not see the immediate benefit. Retina are not easy to make and the bigger the display the hard it is to get a good display. 27" is big and jumping form a 10" panal to 27" panel not easy. Also Apple can not afford what happen the last time with the 27" which took 2 months to get volume production worked out.

I agree, but the tend over years have been away from desk tops. Personally I like have a big desktop at home, it allows me to do things I can never do on a laptop. I person drop using a Laptop and use a phone, Ipad and My 27" imac. Not my son at school we did the laptop with a 27" external display and keyboard and mouse and he has a iphone.

I just see to much risk making the jump a large retina display, maybe Apple does not sell lots of 27" macs so they feel they can afford the risk

I agree 4K content remains a dream as HD content was when HD TVs appeared.  Just so we are on the same, I said scaleable resolution meaning content should be easily resize to fit the display actual resolution.  The current iPad res is not easily scalable to HD or 4K.  Notice how Apple has the ip6+ scalable to exact HD resolution while IP6 is using the old resolution.

• Reply 50 of 101
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Why? 

To avoid Chingate
  • Reply 51 of 101
    rayz wrote: »

Why? 

To avoid Chingate

I see. They would also stand a better chance of avoiding Bendgate. I've never tried bending my 24" iMac, but there's always a first time.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Sarcasm (I want my crack cocaine hit NOW - if I don't get what I want Apple is doomed) jeez people grow the frack up. I know we live in a juvenile "me" society with a 1 sec attention span and serious lack of awareness and superficiality, its about time you learnt that the latest device is not going to make you happy.
  • Reply 53 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I see. They would also stand a better chance of avoiding Bendgate. I've never tried bending my 24" iMac, but there's always a first time.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone takes a sledgehammer and claims the iMac should be able to withstand that kind of normal use

• Reply 54 of 101
    markbyrn wrote: »
    So the first rumor has been dispelled by the latest rumor and it must be an Apple problem.

Any time a rumor fails to materialize, it's an "Apple problem."
  • Reply 55 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I just see to much risk making the jump a large retina display, maybe Apple does not sell lots of 27" macs so they feel they can afford the risk. The next time some moron tells me he bought a 4K TV I'm going to tell him what  moron he is!

You can't expect  morons to understand that 4k content is years away can you? You assume these morons have more than one brain cell! big mistake. They also don't understand there is no justification for buying 4k screens unless viewing a 70+ inch screen anyhow But you know they drink the cool-aid from the TV manufacturers and actually believe the hype. MORONS 

• Reply 56 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Good. Save something for early 2015. This fall will have enough new Apple products as is.
  • Reply 57 of 101
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    shev wrote: »
    Guess I'll be waiting until 2015 then :(

2011 October MBA here

Late 2010 MacBook Air here. I'll be in line with you for the Retina model when it comes available.
  • Reply 58 of 101
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Will Apple be taking into consideration BadUSB in regards to any computers produced in the near or far future?
  • Reply 59 of 101

The MacBook Pro 13" is quite affordable. A smaller display will prevent obvious overlap between two 13.3" retina displays.
  • Reply 60 of 101
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    shev wrote: »
    Guess I'll be waiting until 2015 then :(

2011 October MBA here

If they unveiled it for sale later, it would kill sales of the current model and the Air is Apple's highest selling Mac. Broadwell parts will be available by early 2015 but they have no recurring events until WWDC. That was the only thing I really wanted to see at this event.