IDC miscounts Macs again, awards Apple fifth place in global PC sales one year too late

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

they all (Gartner, Forrester, Frost and Sullivan et al) are.

The craziness is that these firms are trying to milk money out of IT and businesses who can't do their own assessment of what's right for them, so they defer the decision to someone else ("Hey, Gartner told us that Windows Phone would be the #2 selling phone OS by 2015, that's why we spent $2M in supporting it, not because our CTO owns 10,000 shares of MS, and gets free tickets  to Mariners games from the MS sales people... no that's not the reason we deadsunk the money and told you that the iPad was a passing fad, proprietary and insecure, because it didn't play well with our Blackberry Enterprise Server....yeah, that's the ticket!).

Lots of businesses can't do their own IT and technology assessments because they have no access to the data that Gartner etc have. In most cases they're paying for the data rather than the analysis, which is often substandard and self-serving [IMHO, having been on the receiving end of some]. 

My view is that their analysis is shallow and self-serving, being primarily aimed to get companies to buy more reports rather than help those companies make better decisions.

• Reply 42 of 44
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Lots of businesses can't do their own IT and technology assessments because they have no access to the data that Gartner etc have. In most cases they're paying for the data rather than the analysis, which is often substandard and self-serving [IMHO, having been on the receiving end of some]. 

My view is that their analysis is shallow and self-serving, being primarily aimed to get companies to buy more reports rather than help those companies make better decisions.

Yah the data is useful and the analysis meh.  But these aren't really expensive reports anyway.  It adds up if you buy them all I suppose.

• Reply 43 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    nht wrote: »
    Yah the data is useful and the analysis meh.  But these aren't really expensive reports anyway.  It adds up if you buy them all I suppose.

Most of these reports are over a thousand bucks. And yearly subscriptions can cost over $100,000, depending on how large your company is.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Most of these reports are over a thousand bucks. And yearly subscriptions can cost over $100,000, depending on how large your company is.

A thousand bucks is noise for most businesses.  Especially given it's an quarterly tool for strategic planning.  $100K is a bit more so it better be a very useful report.