Some questions and guidance please

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello Everyone,

I?m a PC user, and awhile ago I decided or got some sense knocked into my head that Mac?s are so much better then PC?s. So for awhile now I have been wanting to get an Mac. I saw the new iMac and was amazed, and I have decided that is what I?m going to get for my first Mac. But the problem is that I have to wait 4 months until I can get one! I don?t know if I can handle that long of a wait Well anyways, do you think they will be going down in price by that time? I?m looking at the SuperDrive right now. I?m not sure how fast prices go down on Macs because I have not ever owned one. Also I just has some other questions.

Will it be hard converted from PC to Mac? I have used Macs all my life in school, so it?s not totally foreign to me or anything. And I absolutely love the look of OS X.

Is the new iMac going to be right for me? I?m a internet addict, so I?m always on the internet. I?m into Web Development and such. I?m also into music, I?m always listening to mp3?s non-stop. I use Photoshop for graphics for my websites so that goes with web development mostly. I don?t do any gaming. So it?s mostly Internet/Web Development, Music, and some graphics. So would the new iMac be right for me?

Just a few more quick questions. How many RAM slots are there in the new iMac? I thought I saw three but wasn't sure. Also how can the 800mhz G4 with Velocity Engine compare to a Pentium 4? Like what ghz would compare to it? That?s about it right now. Just very anxious to move. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]ut the problem is that I have to wait 4 months until I can get one! I don?t know if I can handle that long of a wait Well anyways, do you think they will be going down in price by that time? I?m looking at the SuperDrive right now. I?m not sure how fast prices go down on Macs because I have not ever owned one. Also I just has some other questions.<hr></blockquote>

price cut= not likely at all within that time frame.

there could possibly be an update at Macworld New York in late July but that update could also come later in September/October. No one really knows. I would bet on Macworld NY but I've been wrong

[quote]

Will it be hard converted from PC to Mac? I have used Macs all my life in school, so it?s not totally foreign to me or anything. And I absolutely love the look of OS X.<hr></blockquote>

hardest part is not going to be from using it. it's going to be replacing all your software and possibly hardware for mac versions. it's expensive

[quote]

Is the new iMac going to be right for me? I?m a internet addict, so I?m always on the internet. I?m into Web Development and such. I?m also into music, I?m always listening to mp3?s non-stop. I use Photoshop for graphics for my websites so that goes with web development mostly. I don?t do any gaming. So it?s mostly Internet/Web Development, Music, and some graphics. So would the new iMac be right for me? <hr></blockquote>

sounds perfect for your needs.

[quote]

Just a few more quick questions. How many RAM slots are there in the new iMac? I thought I saw three but wasn't sure. Also how can the 800mhz G4 with Velocity Engine compare to a Pentium 4? Like what ghz would compare to it? That?s about it right now. Just very anxious to move. Thanks. <hr></blockquote>

1.) There are 2 RAM slots and only 1 is user accessible. I know, it sucks. The other RAM slot can only be upgraded by an Apple Certified Technician. The accessible slot is a PC100 SO-DIMM slot (it can also use PC133 and is reccomended)

2.) It's hard to just make a comparison in Ghz because it really would no be anywhere near accurate. Certain things are extremely fast on the G4 while other things will be better on the Pentium 4. Based on what you said your uses will be I would say the G4/800 will do everything you want fine and then some. If you really needed a rough estimate I would say a 1.7Ghz P4 but it really doesn't work that way to say that. sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    [quote] hardest part is not going to be from using it. it's going to be replacing all your software and possibly hardware for mac versions. it's expensive <hr></blockquote>

That shouldent be a problem for me either. I don't have much software really. Just photoshop, that is it. And hardware, I'm going to buy a new printer and I use a linksys router. That's about it. Everything Sounds great. Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by foneroot:

<strong>Hello Everyone,

... So would the new iMac be right for me?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

[quote]I?m a PC user, and awhile ago I decided or got some sense knocked into my head that Mac?s are so much better then PC?s. So for awhile now I have been wanting to get a Mac<hr></blockquote>

I had the same revelation a little over a year ago. After 15 years of toiling on the dark side I came to the Apple platform and the transition, especially with OSX, has been easy.

Any Mac that runs OSX well would be right for you, and the iMac2 will run it exceedingly well. the addition of a Superdrive makes it an incredible value
    }

[quote]I'm a internet addict, so I'm always on the internet. I'm into Web Development and such. I'm also into music, I'm always listening to mp3?s non-stop. I use Photoshop for graphics for my websites so that goes with web development mostly. I don't do any gaming. So it's mostly Internet/Web Development, Music, and some graphics.<hr></blockquote>

You will find an iMac2 to excel in all your areas of interest. I'd recommend trying some of the alternative web browsers, OmniWeb is great for me, I love the way it renders text. Opera has a good browser too I'm told. Do a search with Sherlock on those names and you will find everything you want to know.

Welcome to the Mac Way! You are going to enjoy the experience.

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: Aphelion ]</p>