How to set up Apple Pay on an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus running iOS 8.1, and where you can use it right now

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 48

    Anyone know if there's a restriction on adding Debit cards to ApplePay? Mine gets rejected but I can't figure out if it's because my bank isn't participating or if it's a "debit" card.

  • Reply 22 of 48

    About an hour ago made a purchase at Whole Foods with Apple Pay set up with a Bank Of America Debt Card worked fine but the machine asked for the pin, and the casher said you can enter if you want, or just push the green button, so I choose to push the green button and all was well.  Now we just need more merchants to upgrade the equipment.

  • Reply 23 of 48
    Where's Jcrew. Mickey D sits on the Apple board of Dir.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,891member

    What happened to Target?

  • Reply 25 of 48
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    mechanic wrote: »

    what's going to get hacked?  What are thieves going to get?  A bunch of one time use tokenized numbers that are useless once they have been used?  The thief also has to have your fingerprint. Your card numbers are not stored on your phone.  If your phone gets stolen you can immediately suspend payments from that device.<span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">The retailer gets no info from you at all.  Just the one time use tokenized number.  They don't get a card number, security code, signature or any other info.  I would be more worried that people would get held up with a gun and forced to use there apple pay. But with where the terminals are,  most likely that is not going to happen in a public place.</span>

    It's naive to think something is 100% hack proof.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    runbuh wrote: »
    I'm not on the hook for it if they do, and I've only registered my credit card, which gives me time to deal with any hacks before it impacts my actual bank balance.

    This makes the most sense in setting up payments and not giving out your bank account information.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:


     Anyone know if there's a restriction on adding Debit cards to ApplePay? Mine gets rejected but I can't figure out if it's because my bank isn't participating or if it's a "debit" card.


    Answering my own question: my bank is a non-participant in Apple Pay :-/

  • Reply 28 of 48
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 238member
    I just used my BofA debit card via Apple Pay at Walgreens. I had to enter my PIN number into the terminal. I was surprised, I hadn't given it a lot of thought since the demo I watched must be a credit card therefore no pin necessary.

    EDIT: Should have read all the posts. Another poster was told to just hit the green button and no pin was necessary. I wonder if it then gets treated as a credit trans rather than a debit?
  • Reply 29 of 48
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    slurpy wrote: »

    This specimen never fails providing the most brain-dead, idiotic posts of every single thread. It's like his fucking troll mission.

    Just make sure you never try to make sense of it (Hacked? How? By what means? What info would the hacker get?) otherwise you'll quickly get a massive headache. 

    And yet you continue to "answer" them with hurling obscenities as you must be stumped because you fail to give a detailed response as you are unknowledgeable.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Answering my own question: my bank is a non-participant in Apple Pay :-/

    You need to switch to an Apple friendly bank. That must be a troll bank.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    jason98jason98 Posts: 766member

    I am getting error while trying to add my Citi credit card to Apple Pay:

    "Card Not Added. Contact your card issuer for more information".

     

    Anyone else have problems registering credit cards?

  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

     

    What happened to Target?


     

    Target announced support for the app, not the stores.

  • Reply 33 of 48

    Passbook keeps crashing when I try to take a picture of my credit card, so I had to enter them manually. Might try to restore my phone to fix that. 

     

    My Chase Visa cards were accepted by Passbook, except a MasterCard. Apparently, Apple Pay only works with Chase Visas, not MCs. 

     

    Looking forward to trying this out at a nearby Radio Shack, Macdonalds or Subway. 

  • Reply 34 of 48
    Just used Apple Pay at a Panera Bread with no trouble... Oh, except that the cashier knew nothing about it. Luckily the manager stepped in and said "it should work..." It did, just needed to hold it up to their typical-looking Verifone machine. It prompted me for my Touch ID, and that was it.

    Don't ask permission, just hold your phone over the credit card machine when they ask you to slide your card. :)
  • Reply 35 of 48
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    toxie wrote: »
    Just used Apple Pay at a Panera Bread with no trouble... Oh, except that the cashier knew nothing about it. Luckily the manager stepped in and said "it should work..." It did, just needed to hold it up to their typical-looking Verifone machine. It prompted me for my Touch ID, and that was it.

    Don't ask permission, just hold your phone over the credit card machine when they ask you to slide your card. :)

    I hope this doesn't cause a spike in credit card debt- seems rather too easy to use posing a disconnect in purchasing.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Anyone know if there's a restriction on adding Debit cards to ApplePay? Mine gets rejected but I can't figure out if it's because my bank isn't participating or if it's a "debit" card.

    Your bank most not be in it. I got my debit card in with no problem. Is a BoA.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't cause a spike in credit card debt- seems rather too easy to use posing a disconnect in purchasing.

    Excellent point. Please people be smart and careful. In another note i am dying to use apple pay!
  • Reply 38 of 48
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    k2director wrote: »
    Passbook keeps crashing when I try to take a picture of my credit card, so I had to enter them manually. Might try to restore my phone to fix that. 

    My Chase Visa cards were accepted by Passbook, except a MasterCard. Apparently, Apple Pay only works with Chase Visas, not MCs. 

    Looking forward to trying this out at a nearby Radio Shack, Macdonalds or Subway. 

    Yeah it says on the list that only chase visa
  • Reply 39 of 48
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    You need to switch to an Apple friendly bank. That must be a troll bank.

    Lol sorry go to BoA
  • Reply 40 of 48
    normmnormm Posts: 637member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

     

    The one disappointment I have with Apple Pay (although this may become possible), is that Apple didn't build in the NFC technology into the new iPads.  Given increasing numbers of small merchants seem to be using iPads with Square as their POS device, it would seem like Apple has missed a trick by not exploiting that market.



    Surely they could have made an iPad have the tech needed to Apple Pay on the merchants side?


    I'm very surprised by this also.  I thought for sure they'd include the NFC chip in the iPads, so that both new iPads and new iPhones would have the hardware needed on the merchant side, for small businesses.  This has to be a very deliberate omission.  I'm actually waiting for an iPad Air 2 teardown to confirm that the NFC chip isn't actually hiding inside, unheralded, waiting for some new Apple API's to be released.

Sign In or Register to comment.