Amazon announces $39 Fire TV Stick to compete with Google Chromecast

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

my ipad already beams prime content to my apple tv, and i dont have to switch inputs or do anything, and my existing remote controls it. only downside is the audio stream. so not worth the hassle of another input/activity mode for the amount of time i want to use Prime over netflix or itunes.

Yes but as you state your iPad only works for your own TV. This is for travel- specifically my beach house..

• Reply 62 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Apple needs to update the apple TV and provide easier local support for your movie library (support playing .iso files). (or let me install XBMC without having to jailbreak it).

You're probably never going to see XBMC on Apple TV simply because it's too easy to get pirated content.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

This is perfect for vacationing be it AirBnb, hotel or visiting friends or whatever. Smart.

sounds like a lot of hassle while on vacation -- bring a TV dongle, and a remote, and futz w/ inputs, on someone else's tv? why do that when i can just flip open my ipad and zone out before bed to something meaningless?

I always bring an ATV and router when I travel.  I find it preferable to watch movies on a 42" HDTV vs. my iPad or iPhone.  Obviously, YMMV.

• Reply 64 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Plugging directly into the TV means I can only use the TV speakers not my surround sound system.

Does the TV have a digital audio output?  Connect all your devices to the TV's HDMIs and use the TV's digital out to take the audio to the surround system.  That's what I do.  One of the TV's HDMIs may have Audio Return Channel to route digital audio out too.

Alternatively, does the surround system have HDMI inputs?  Connect the Fire Stick to the surround system rather than the TV.

• Reply 65 of 68
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    sounds like a lot of hassle while on vacation -- bring a TV dongle, and a remote, and futz w/ inputs, on someone else's tv? why do that when i can just flip open my ipad and zone out before bed to something meaningless?

It's called watching TV with others on a larger screen.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    So glad I ordered yesterday - they're back ordered now until after Jan 1.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

So glad I ordered yesterday - they're back ordered now until after Jan 1.

I missed the 48 hour $19 sale price and it's back up to $39.  No way I'm paying forty bucks for one of these.