Dish Network outdated receivers?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
Hello all:

I have two Echostar (Dish Network) set top boxes from the year 2001. My contract has long expired and they let me keep the set top boxes. I'm going through some old tech right now, deciding what to give to local community tech recycling and what to sell and/or keep.

What should I do with these STBs? Are they worth anything? If so, where is the best place to sell them?

I might decide to subscribe to Dish Network in the future but since my contract lapsed in 2004, I think they'll give me new receivers with the contract.

Any suggestions/comments would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

I have two Echostar (Dish Network) set top boxes from the year 2001. . .

What should I do with these STBs? Are they worth anything? If so, where is the best place to sell them?

They may be usable. Get the model numbers and call Dish. Technical support should be able to tell you whether these would still work. If so, eBay is a good place to look for selling prices. I usually use Craig's list to sell things locally.

I had one of the first Dish receivers from about 1997 or '98. Several years ago, we got a notice from Dish that our receiver was obsolete and in three month would no longer work on Dish Network. They offered us a free upgrade to a new receiver with DVR, plus a new antenna.

Since then we upgraded to HD programming, which requires an HD receiver and a second dish antenna installed.

• Reply 2 of 4
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    Thanks for the reply!

I've looked it up on eBay and Craigslist and on other sites. They're worth around $5. Going to recycling.

Now I need to research the old Hi-8 Canon vid cam. Recycling better be ready!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    larryelarrye Posts: 1member

I am searching for a older receiver from dish network, [email protected]

• Reply 4 of 4

Did you ever get the Dish Network outdated receiver. I have an old one, probably manufactured in the late 1990's.