2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

And I have 'almost the same question' about Monity...Did Yosemite eliminate the Activity Monitor?

(haven't upgraded yet so I wouldn't know)

If it's still there, what doesn't it do that Monity does?

Top is built into all UNIX Operating Systems. What value does getting rid of Activity Monitor serve?

I'm not suggesting there is any value to getting rid of it.  I use it and will continue to after I move "up" to Yosemite.

I was asking what would be the value of buying an app that pretty much just does

what Activity Monitor already does - I thought the discussion, and your original point,

was that the apps in the article were pointless...and that was my concern as well.

Soli explained what the value of this one could be, at least as he would use it.

• Reply 22 of 27
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Top is built into all UNIX Operating Systems. What value does getting rid of Activity Monitor serve?

Apple first obfuscated and then removed a lot of nifty features that were a part of their AirPort devices. I can think of zero value for Apple in getting rid of SNMP but they did it. I'm not sure I'll get another AirPort product because of that.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    All an absoute waste of cash.

Deliveries is a great app that I find very useful for tracking shipments. It does all the work so I don't have to go back and forth to FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc to figure out when my items will arrive.

I find that my time saved is way more valuable than $4.99 spent on this app. Apparently your time isn't as valuable.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    sigma4life wrote: »
    Deliveries is a great app that I find very useful for tracking shipments. It does all the work so I don't have to go back and forth to FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc to figure out when my items will arrive. It even knows how to get shipment info from Amazon and Apple orders using just the order number.

I find that my time saved is worth $4.99 spent on this app. Apparently your time isn't as valuable.
  • Reply 25 of 27

You don't pay $10 for the PCalc widget, you pay $10 for a high quality, customizable RPN calculator that has a widget with it. If you don't know what an RPN calculator is there you really don't have a need for PCalc, but for those that do and need one, it is worth $10. I use the Lite version (free) on iOS and it is a great calculator. People regularly spend $10 on a physical calculator that isn't nearly as good as this one.

• Reply 26 of 27
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    $10 is not for a "notification center calculator." It's for a notification center calculator AND the very high-end calculator app itself, with things like a big customizable library of constants and conversions, custom button layouts, programming, engineering and scientific functions beyond Apple's built-in ones, multi-level undo, themes and color schemes, iOS handoff, etc. And it's updated regularly to do more and more.

Should all the be free? Is it "useless" to everyone?

If you don't need any of that, then you can have two coffees or half a pizza for your $10.

If you do, it's a great buy. I bought the full iOS version gladly. PCalc has been around for a long time, and people pay for it because it's worth it to them. Supply and demand.
  • Reply 27 of 27

Who needs to buy a calculator for computers these days anyway? There is a built-in one that is good enough, and for some real calculations, might as well purchase normal graphical calculator.