Apple earns 100% score on Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index for 13th year in a row

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 92
    I thought the leader of that church was anti-Muslim, not into promoting "whites only".

    Yes, he was against Islam, but his bigotry was' isolated to just Muslims.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    Yes, he was against Islam, but his bigotry was' isolated to just Muslims.



    IMO, it's all "pick your poison".

  • Reply 63 of 92

    IMO, it's all "pick your poison".

    That's easy enough. Just picked the most talked about controversy on FOX News as those people both love to hate and love to make money hating.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    That's easy enough. Just picked the most talked about controversy on FOX News as those people both love to hate and love to make money hating.



    These controversial threads are also great traffic drivers for AI, as evidenced by their repeat nature.

  • Reply 65 of 92
    splifsplif Posts: 607member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

     



    These controversial threads are also great traffic drivers for AI, as evidenced by their repeat nature.


    Did Apple do something controversial by getting a high score on supporting human rights?

  • Reply 66 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

     

    Did Apple do something controversial by getting a high score on supporting human rights?




    Why haven't you answered any of the previous queries?

  • Reply 67 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post





    I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, but if there is a deficit in the way in which the rest of the world operates vis-a-vis protection of Human Rights, then that's unfortunate, and the rest of the world needs to look to nations that take social justice seriously and which are progressive on the matter as well as on related issues.



    I.e.:



    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Canada



    "The rights of LGBT Canadians are now as well protected as those of other Canadians largely due to several court decisions decided under Section 15 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms that was included in the Constitution of Canada in 1982, with Section 15 coming into effect in 1985."

     

    I'm not familiar enough with Canada's Constitution and whatever may be considered the Canadian "Bill of Rights", so I cannot compare the two systems. Also, I'd be skeptical of any suggestions by others that Canada's Constitution may apply everywhere and to every human on Earth (not saying you wrote this specifically, but it's just as absurd as the argument that there are a set of recognized, universal "human rights" that apply globally and are the same as the protections guaranteed within the US to citizens).

  • Reply 68 of 92

    Another positive thing about Apple.

  • Reply 69 of 92

    Possibly because it's based on discriminatory, collectivist ideas? "Human rights" is a phrase that is oft repeated, yet it is meaningless and considering the real subject of the scoring is political and in support of LGBT issues, not "humans" in general. It's a bit like giving our president the Nobel Peace Prize just before he drags us into another war...it's just posturing.



    LGBT issues aren't "political."

    Even IF the entire purpose of this particular metric is to equate Human Rights with LGBT issues, there is nothing wrong with this. In most democratic, progressive countries, LGBT issues are treated as Human Rights issues, backed by enforceable legislation.

    Even if Apple's performance in this metric, or if the way the metric was implemented is just "posturing", the cause is perfectly acceptable, and I'd certainly encourage it. Just another means of raising awareness.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    LGBT issues are "human issues" in general. Injustice is injustice, and you don't need to be suffering from a particular social injustice in order to empathize with those affected by it.

    If LGBT issues happen to be "agenda-driven" in this case, then great. I'm all for supporting such "agendas."
  • Reply 71 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post



    LGBT issues are "human issues" in general. Injustice is injustice, and you don't need to be suffering from a particular social injustice in order to empathize with those affected by it.



    If LGBT issues happen to be "agenda-driven" in this case, then great. I'm all for supporting such "agendas."



    Boredom is a "human issue" and one that arguably affects more humans than mere gender issues. Who will defend the rights of the bored? What about the able bodied and their discrimination from using handicapped parking spaces? Who speaks for them? And what about people who, by no fault of their own, were born with dry skin? What about their rights? Everyone has skin, right? Let's keep inventing "rights", why don't we?

  • Reply 72 of 92
    crowleycrowley Posts: 8,853member

    Someone feeling like their privilege isn't being respected enough?

     

    Get over it.

  • Reply 73 of 92
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

     

     

    The US has a Bill of Rights. Our laws do not apply to the entire human race. If the US Bill of Rights is core to the argument in support of "human rights" then there is no argument. You've lost.


     

    What are you blathering about?  Human Rights is a concept.

     

    If you don't agree with it, what's your alternative.  Survival of the Whitest?

  • Reply 74 of 92
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

     



    These controversial threads are also great traffic drivers for AI, as evidenced by their repeat nature.




    Not that controversial, really.  It's just a handful of social conservatives in this site that whine and complain about it, and take over the threads.

  • Reply 75 of 92
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

     

     

    What are you blathering about?  Human Rights is a concept.

     

    If you don't agree with it, what's your alternative.  Survival of the Whitest?


     

    Last man standing (or woman).

  • Reply 76 of 92
    Human Right, Human Right...all this talk about Human Right, and where may I ask are the Whale Rights? And who's looking out for the Miami Dolphins and no one is harping about the Navy Seals...!
  • Reply 77 of 92
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

     



    Boredom is a "human issue" and one that arguably affects more humans than mere gender issues. Who will defend the rights of the bored? What about the able bodied and their discrimination from using handicapped parking spaces? Who speaks for them? And what about people who, by no fault of their own, were born with dry skin? What about their rights? Everyone has skin, right? Let's keep inventing "rights", why don't we?


    Now you are blathering.  What's your point?   Discrimination is inconvenient for you to think about? It doesn't affect you, so it's not really happening? Discrimination should be ignored?  Descrimination should be embraced?  White is always the default?

     

    Qualified people are being overlooked all the time:

     

    http://jobbankusa.com/News/Hiring/hiring100803a.html

     

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/17/nyregion/17felons.html?_r=0

  • Reply 78 of 92
    splifsplif Posts: 607member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

     



    Why haven't you answered any of the previous queries?


    Because they are nonsensical. If you would have just stopped at your belief that the right person should get the job based on qualifications....fine. You continued an exercise in pseudo-intellectual BS on why human rights do not exist. There is no legal definition for human rights therefore they do not exist. To say that no one upholds human rights or laws aren't passed to protect human rights in MANY countries is just plain nonsense. For some reason you think that there has to be an international body that wages war on countries in violation of human rights. That other forms of pressure have not been brought to bare escapes you. The term to you means nothing. Fine. Who the frick are you? What you try to do is dilute issues of discrimination by giving us such BS as comparing boredom to discrimination & human suffering. In fact you have entered so much BS in to the conversation I'll bet you confuse yourself. You believe in individual rights, yet plenty of the rights that are afforded to you as an American citizen were fought for collectively by groups of individuals who were working toward a common cause. The only thing this article says is that Apple gets high marks for not discriminating based on sexual orientation. Do you actually think that the sexual orientation question is asked in job interviews or applications?

  • Reply 79 of 92
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post



    The day that Apple's workforce is 100% white and male will be a happy day indeed.




    Westboro Baptist Church would like to offer you a job.

     

     

    I'm honoured. Baptists have their heads screwed on right.

  • Reply 80 of 92
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post



    Human Right, Human Right...all this talk about Human Right, and where may I ask are the Whale Rights? And who's looking out for the Miami Dolphins and no one is harping about the Navy Seals...!

     

    Indeed.

     

    So much blubbering on about nothing.

Sign In or Register to comment.