Samsung considering shakeup of mobile division in response to sagging profits, sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Samsung is being squeezed from both ends. Apple on one end, and all of the other cheapo phones on the other end! I'm loving it! It's time to tighten the vice and squeeze even harder!

Perhaps Samsung should invest some more billions and make some more attack ads, insulting Apple users. That is an effective strategy and it's been working out great for them.

I was looking for a soundbar this weekend to get for a tv that I have, and I found a really good deal online, but it was for a Samsung soundbar! No way in hell am I giving my money to a company that insults me personally! I'm most likely going to order a Yamaha bar instead, which costs almost twice as much as the Samsung, but money isn't everything!

Well, if you are referring to Samsung's US attack ads, they should probably continue with that ad campaign.  According to the same WJS article, Samsung's S5 sales in the US market is actually up!  There is zero evidence that they are being squeezed by Apple though.

'Up' compared to what?
  • Reply 42 of 74
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,259member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Samsung has zero brand loyalty and very little stickiness to keep people coming back. What is the Samsung ecosystem. What do I get with a Samsung phone that I couldn't get with an LG or HTC phone?
    Not to mention that almost every person I know that has a Samsung phone has a smashed screen because they don't care enough about it to put it in a case.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Shin gets kicked? Lovely.

One man's Shin getting kicked is another man's Boon.
    pfisher wrote: »

I feel that Samsung insults everyone - the general consumer. You don't portray any consumer or customer in an ad a dolt. It may work for some people, but overall I feel it generally is a negative overall than a positive.

I never felt insulted. That Samsung portrays itself as hip and cool in the bizarro universe of its own advertisements is neither surprising nor realistic. If something they made really was "the next big thing" they wouldn't have to keep selling people on that idea in advertising. As it stands, they keep pilfering Apple, Google, and Microsoft for ideas, and making their "S" version of whatever it is. I'm surprised they don't sell an overpriced, bass-heavy headphone.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Samsung have done a lot to piss off Android fans

Yet Android fans keep buying Samsung devices en masse.

• Reply 45 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm surprised they don't sell an overpriced, bass-heavy headphone.

But of course they do:

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-level-up-with-new-headphones-and-speakers/

• Reply 46 of 74
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Perhaps Samsung should invest some more billions and make some more attack ads, insulting Apple users. That is an effective strategy and it's been working out great for them.

I was looking for a soundbar this weekend to get for a tv that I have, and I found a really good deal online, but it was for a Samsung soundbar! No way in hell am I giving my money to a company that insults me personally! I'm most likely going to order a Yamaha bar instead, which costs almost twice as much as the Samsung, but money isn't everything!

You know what? I've made very similar decisions recently as well. In my search for a hdtv Samsung was intentionally excluded from any tv's I looked at. There are many quality hdtv's on the market made by less scummy companies at competitive price points. I am sure this applies to many of Samsung's products. But sadly we're stuck with them until Apple can permanently remove their components from their products. I actually find boycotting the company to be fun!
  • Reply 47 of 74
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

Result of shakeup > more bandaid-textured phone cases made out of plastic.

But they'll now be able to communicate with their refrigerators! Perhaps a remote camera to see whether that light ever really goes off when you close the door.

#Innovate!

• Reply 48 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

You know what? I've made very similar decisions recently as well. In my search for a hdtv Samsung was intentionally excluded from any tv's I looked at.

There's not a single Samsung product in my home.  There will never be a single Samsung product in my home.  The only Samsung product I've ever owned was a very-very-early infamous DVD player that would play almost no actual DVDs and was eventually returned.

I used to be mostly ambivalent about Samsung as a brand.  Due to their smarmy attitude and blatant rip off of competitors' products, they've become producta non grata in my home.  Nice work, Samsung.

• Reply 49 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

Yet Android fans keep buying Samsung devices en masse.

Doesn't this article suggest otherwise?

• Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

Doesn't this article suggest otherwise?

Samsung is still raking in billions, no?

Samsung is still the largest Android handset manufacturer, no?

Samsung is still the only Android handset manufacturer really turning a profit, no?

Seems there are still plenty of Android fanboys perfectly willing to pony up for Samsung's latest plastic slab of duplicity.

• Reply 51 of 74
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    mikelee wrote: »
    Everybody should boycott all Samsung products, tv, refrigerator, etc, not just cell phone. They have very hazardous environment in the semiconductor fab and workers die all the time. Even last year, some worker died in Korea because of a gas leak and they didn't even report it to the police for a whole day. That's how arrogant they are. Hundreds of workers in their fab got leukemia and they were denying that they are work related and refusing to compensate them.

There is a nice movie about that: Elysium
  • Reply 52 of 74

People keep talking about the squeeze that is being put on Samsung, but is it really? I think culling some of your less successful lines is something most retail businesses do from time to time, especially if they are planning to focus on their flagship products.  Isnt it a little early to be saying they are doomed?

• Reply 53 of 74
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Well, if you are referring to Samsung's US attack ads, they should probably continue with that ad campaign.  According to the same WJS article, Samsung's S5 sales in the US market is actually up!  There is zero evidence that they are being squeezed by Apple though.

Since Samsung doesn't report sales (and they'd been called on false numbers in court), how would the WSJ even know? Unless they're up because they are being dumped.... That's not good for Samsung either btw...

• Reply 54 of 74

They're putting perfume on a pig. Let Samsung stick to super-tankers and space heaters.

• Reply 55 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    If you think about it carefully, when the Titanic struck the iceberg and had they changed captains, more lives might have been saved.  A new captain might have immediately yelled, "Everyone head for the lifeboats because this ship is going down."  Instead, the first captain merely said, "Hey passengers, don't worry about that iceberg brushing the hull because this ship is completely unsinkable.  A round of drinks for everyone."  Think about that.

More lives may have been saved however the ship still sank and there weren't enough lifeboats for all the passengers anyways.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So what's the solution? Writing about the problem is easy, and helps no one.

Differentiate on software.

It isn't easy, and since they are so far behind it won't be quick. However, the alternative has already played out in the PC market  and given how profits are in the mobile phone market already, only a moron would continue on the course as it is.

What I can't figure out is how so many companies are still in the mobile phone market. How long can any company continue to not make a profit, IE lose money, and stay in a market?

• Reply 57 of 74
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steffen Jobbs View Post

If you think about it carefully, when the Titanic struck the iceberg and had they changed captains, more lives might have been saved.  A new captain might have immediately yelled, "Everyone head for the lifeboats because this ship is going down."  Instead, the first captain merely said, "Hey passengers, don't worry about that iceberg brushing the hull because this ship is completely unsinkable.  A round of drinks for everyone."  Think about that.

Passenger ship regulations at the time meant the ship wasn't carrying anything like enough lifeboats for the entire complement of people on board: which is why the crew kept the bulk of the passengers, the low paying "steerage" immigrants, mostly Irish, locked behind gates.

• Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

Samsung is still raking in billions, no?

Samsung is still the largest Android handset manufacturer, no?

Samsung is still the only Android handset manufacturer really turning a profit, no?

Seems there are still plenty of Android fanboys perfectly willing to pony up for Samsung's latest plastic slab of duplicity.

Everything this article suggests says that those Android fanboys are NOT buying them en masse like they used to. In fact, if you have read an article outside of this website you would see real Android fans are panning the GS5. People buying Samsung devices are just buying them because they are cheap. Android fans seem to be turning elsewhere.

• Reply 59 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mknopp wrote: »
    Differentiate on software.

That's too vague of an answer. Differentiate Android, or their own OS?
  • Reply 60 of 74
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite its recent struggles, Samsung is still the second most profitable company in the mobile phone market ...

I'm sure Samsung could make OK money in mobile if they stay #2 in the high end of the market.

But being the second-cheapest at the low end is certain doom.

Xiaomi is already waiting at the bottom of the race-to-the-bottom cliff.