Google's Chromecast usurps Apple TV in streaming content device race

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    seanie248 wrote: »
    i got a call from a friend the other day asking how to mirror his iPad on his TV. Told hm to get an AppleTV. He asked was there a cheaper way.

I gave the usual answer of "i'm sure there is but it will be a bitch", conditioned this way now, so i don't get caught being asked to do it and then having to endure call after call asking why it isn't working again.

only then did he admit he had just bought a ChromeCast and wanted to know how to "make it work"

once i finished laughing, I told him there might be, ask where he bought it from.

So chalk that one up to one more device sale that will never see the light of day from the drawer it now sits in. Wonder how many more devices end up like this?

It's neither hard nor bitchy at all

http://www.howtogeek.com/196895/ask-htg-how-do-i-watch-my-iphoneipad-videos-via-chromecast/
  • Reply 22 of 65
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Jojade View Post

Wait, this is SALES of devices. It says nothing about usage of devices, which is what really matters. Apple hasn't updated the AppleTV in quite some time because, well, it works pretty well as is and there's absolutely no reason to buy another one if you've already got one. So the millions of units sold LAST year are still there in use. The Chromecast is a brand new device so anyone wanting to get into it would need to buy their first one. The fact that they barely beat out Apple in sales against a 4 year old product that has only undergone a couple minor revisions is pretty telling.

Roku is still a top seller, but they have been far more aggressive in creating different products to suit different needs. It's no wonder that it's a higher selling solution.

Sales of the device don't mean squat to the companies. It's USING the device that matters. That's where revenue comes from. I know many people that bought the Chromecast device only to discontinue use because it sucked so bad. Many will replace it with a competing device and be happy they did.

Sales don't matter in the aggregate to me, but my own sale. There is a video service I want to get, but you can only get it on an open (non-Apple) box. Why Apple doesn't open it up...probably to protect sales of other whatever products.

I do love the Nexflix interface. It looks HORRID on my Sony Blu-Ray and Amazon Instant is in the land of crap for UI. Apple has it nailed, but they need to allow video channel apps or something to be bought in a TV app store. 

• Reply 23 of 65
    sog35 wrote: »
    This is based on a survey of 10,000 people by a second class orginization called Parks research.
    Please keep in mind Parks research will be doing a seminar with guest speakers from amazon, roku, and google. No one from Apple though.

When does anyone from Apple ever go anywhere?
  • Reply 24 of 65
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I like my Apple TV.  I would have bought another one, but I keep thinking, Apple is going to upgrade this sucker meaningfully.  And yet...

• Reply 25 of 65
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

http://www.howtogeek.com/196895/ask-htg-how-do-i-watch-my-iphoneipad-videos-via-chromecast/

The web site name was choosen perfectly to draw in the audience they seek. good one.

• Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

i got a call from a friend the other day asking how to mirror his iPad on his TV.

So after spend another buck on an App and "geeking" with this Chromecast... how long do you think it would it take the OP's friend to get frustrated and give up when he realizes that it doesn't actually do what he wanted it to do??  See the OP original request in red. 

• Reply 27 of 65
    snova wrote: »
    So after spend another buck on an App and "geeking" with this Chromecast... how long do you think it would it take the OP's friend to get frustrated and give up when he realizes that it doesn't actually do what he wanted it to do??  See the OP original request in red. 

Depends what he wants to mirror. If it's something from the web then just use the Chrome browser to mirror an iPad to the Chromecast. It's not that hard.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Please. You knew EXACTLY what snova meant by that comment and still had to find a way to troll it.

Am I wrong? This isn't the smartphone market. In this market Apple has some serious competition. Streamers don't need to do much. Plus the Apple TV doesn't do that much more than the others. It would be a mistake to equate the inexpensive streamers to cheap Android phones. The users are not one, and the same. These devices are made to generate content consumption. Profit per device is meaningless. It's the money made on content purchases that counts.

You don't seem to recognize that this is one device whose functionality (and UI) competitors stole blatantly from Apple. Blatantly. Even more so than the mobile phone. The only reason that Apple has not gone after them is because it's still a hobby for the company, small in terms of revenue, and it's not worth the effort.

While Apple has (temporarily) plateaued with this product, I'll bet that they'll take the whole segment to the next level within the next year or two -- with all these idiots copying again, shamelessly, a few years later. Wait and see.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

Depends what he wants to mirror. If it's something from the web then just use the Chrome browser to mirror an iPad to the Chromecast. It's not that hard.

This is great example of why the OP said ""i'm sure there is but it will be a bitch""  to his friend and why he should be prepared to waste additional time and money on "geeking out" for a solution.

What he really wanted was a cheap product that supported what the AppleTV does well out of the box with his iPad onto his TV. Instead, what he got was wasted time and money on a useless doorstop

Next I supposed someone is going to suggest "geeking out" a bit more with another wasteful "neither hard core bitchy" effort by jail breaking his iPad so he can really do his screen "mirroring" request.  Right?   

sure why not.. After all, it is so worth it to save that $65 when he places no value on one's time, effort and sanity.   Whats best is the fun does not end there. He will rejoice at the opportunity to start the fun all over again when he decides to upgrade iOS on his iPad.  

• Reply 30 of 65
    rogifan wrote: »
    Isn't Eddy responsible for ?TV? Maybe he's been too busy with ?Pay?

I doubt that's the case. I think it comes down to Apple's typical MO: releasing only when everything is properly aligned.

At this point I would think 4K compatibility would have to be in the next Apple TV which means the proper HDMI output which means the proper HW which also means the proper H.265 HW decoder — and potentially H.265 HW encoder if there are other factors that move it from simply being a puck device (see TS' comment) — and content in the iTS. I'm glad Apple isn't updating for the sake of it.
  • Reply 31 of 65

The real key here is usage share.  Do most of these dongles get forgotten?  If not, how much time per day do AppleTV users use their boxes as compared to the Chromecast users?

These device are so cheap there is no margin at all; it's all about ecosystem engagement.

I wager usage share of both AppleTV and Roku independently swamps ChromeCast

• Reply 32 of 65
    snova wrote: »

This is great example of why the OP said ""i'm sure there is but it will be a bitch""  to his friend and why he should be prepared to waste additional time and money on "geeking out" for a solution.

What he really wanted was a cheap product that supported what the AppleTV does well out of the box with his iPad onto his TV. Instead, what he got was wasted time and money on a useless doorstop

Next I supposed someone is going to suggest "geeking out" a bit more with another wasteful "neither hard core bitchy" effort by jail breaking his iPad so he can really do his screen "mirroring" request.  Right?   

sure why not.. After all, it is so worth it to save that $65 when he places no value on one's time, effort and sanity.   Whats best is the fun does not end there. He will rejoice at the opportunity to start the fun all over again when he decides to upgrade iOS on his iPad.  

Jailbreaking is geeking out, using another browser is not.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    You don't seem to recognize that this is one device whose functionality (and UI) competitors stole blatantly from Apple. Blatantly. Even more so than the mobile phone. The only reason that Apple has not gone after them is because it's still a hobby for the company, small in terms of revenue, and it's not worth the effort.

While Apple has (temporarily) plateaued with this product, I'll bet that they'll take the whole segment to the next level within the next year or two -- with all these idiots copying again, shamelessly, a few years later. Wait and see.

It doesn't have a UI, and while its functionality seems the same, it accomplishes it differently.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    Goldman sacks event.
    Tim Cook at D11.
    Ive at design conference.
    Cook at WSJ event.

But that's not my point. 

Parks Research makes money by selling 'research' to companies like Google, Amazon, and Roku.  And its so hilarious that those same 3 are special speakers at Parks Research big event. Looks more like scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

And the events you mentioned definitely scratched Apple's back.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    AppleTV:

1. Comprehensive gaming strategy
    2. 4k output
    3. Chip as powerful as the iphone coupled with metal
    4. Some cool video screensavers such as a beach or a fishtank etc.
    5. TouchID payment and access control
    6. AppleTV remote on the iphone can be MUCH better with complete mirroring. All of the setup menus should be present on the iphone app also.
    7. IR/IP controls for outside control systems (such as crestron or control4) for discreet signals such as play and pause. Searches are extremely slow using the onscreen keyboard which basically sucks. Provide outside developers with discreet codes for the entire keyboard so they can build external touch interfaces into their integration projects.
    8. A blu-ray drive... What the hell. Even start selling bluray discs right from the device... I would order them. Ship them to us from the online store...
    9. I wont buy any good movies on appleTV, quality is insufficient and especially surround sound options are NOT state of the art. Bluray sounds And looks much better.

How about this: license the apple TV hardware so that it can be placed inside my oppo bluray player...
    Put appleTV inside of a mac mini perhaps.

Basically I want convergence... And I want it yesterday!
  • Reply 36 of 65
    But those 'events' are not releasing 'research' that shows Apple is usurping the competition.

Believe what you want.  But I won't take the 'research' of a company that is getting paid by the very companies they are researching.  Why would ParksResearch shoot themself in the foot by releasing research that shows their clients are LOSING (Google, Amazon, Roku)

They are just like IDC.  They release 'research' that makes their clients look good.  Apple is NOT one of their clients. 

The hilarious thing is this 2nd class organization should have released USAGE numbers. Google and Amazon were basically giving away those $19 sticks for free. But do people even use them? I doubt it.

Did only Apple lose market share according to the graph? Roku lost much more.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

The real question is how many people are actually using these sticks after that buy them. From what I have seen and heard, people buy them because they are cheap, use them a few time and then forget about since they are not too easy to use.

• Reply 38 of 65

The reality is really simple. Most people are using these devices as a dumb converter pipe to watch Netflix YouTube or HBO on their TV. Who the hell is Roku as a company anyway? Who makes these things is less important "I just want to watch X on my TV". People aren't casting or air playing or anything more than 3 click options in these things. If you can spend 100 or 30 to make that happen, which will people choose. Is there a ton of other functionality baked in? Sure. Do people use it? Obviously sometimes, but it's not why most bought it. The behavior behind interacting with the TV and your media still hasn't changed. That's what we're all waiting on Apple to do, be disruptive, like it has in other categories. 

• Reply 39 of 65
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Doomed!

I'm waiting for a new version of Apple TV.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I like the packaging for the Chromecast. Extremely classy and good quality.

In fact, it reminds of some other brand's packaging...anyway...Apple had better watch out. Once Google figures out how to 'innovate' from the front instead of from behind Apple are...

Apple are...

Shit. What's that bad word that happens to Apple?

I'll be doomed if I can remember the damn thing...

they are ahead of apple in one area- google glass. that super cool economically priced one lens doohickey that makes you talk to it and does bitchin augmented reality that celebrities stopped using because it was way too cool to use. 

oh and barges.