Apple issues second OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite beta with Wi-Fi fixes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Happily, haven't had wifi issues, per se, but filesharing seems to have reverted to number limits,

and I'm not pleased with the protocol Preview uses for opening multiple files, to mention a couple...

Not exactly cataclysmic, but annoying.

• Reply 22 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Since converting from Windows in 2010, I must say that I've loved every version of OS X except one:

I'd be lion if I didn't admit to having a few technical issues with that one...

I would rather still be able to be with Snow Leopard on newer machines. The entire point of SL was optimization and speed. Not really focused on new stuff that people may or may not like or use.

• Reply 23 of 56

When are they going to fix the damn multi monitor settings. It's a bit better in 10.10.1 from 10.10 but still on occasion it forgets where my displays should be! Come on Apple!

• Reply 24 of 56
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,858member

I wish they'd fix the memory issues. Unless you have 16GB or more RAM you probably don't experience this, but I'm constantly running out of RAM on my Mac mini which has 8GB of RAM. This was never an issue before updating to Yosemite. There's got to be a memory leak somewhere...An OS today shouldn't run out of RAM with 8GB to run it. Thats terrible inefficient IMO. 

• Reply 25 of 56
    macxpress wrote: »
    I wish they'd fix the memory issues. Unless you have 16GB or more RAM you probably don't experience this, but I'm constantly running out of RAM on my Mac mini which has 8GB of RAM. This was never an issue before updating to Yosemite. There's got to be a memory leak somewhere...An OS today shouldn't run out of RAM with 8GB to run it. Thats terrible inefficient IMO. 

How did you verify this was the OS and not something else installed?
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

How did you verify this was the OS and not something else installed?

Well since it didn't happen until after installing Yosemite, nothing else is running except apps that are included with OS X (I don't use many 3rd party apps). There are others having the same issues as well after installing Yosemite. So unless we all have the same bad app installed, then its an OS X issue. 

• Reply 27 of 56

The other thing I wish they'd fix and it may not necessarily be an OS X issue, is Apple Remote Desktop. Without this, I cannot upgrade my work Mac to Yosemite so I'm still using Mavericks until its resolved. I actually wish they'd just rewrite the entire app. With every update it gets worse and worse.

• Reply 28 of 56
    Well since it didn't happen until after installing Yosemite, nothing else is running except apps that are included with OS X (I don't use many 3rd party apps). There are others having the same issues as well after installing Yosemite. So unless we all have the same bad app installed, then its an OS X issue. 

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc arguments do not good troubleshooting make. Have you tried a different user account on that machine? Have you checked Yosemite on other machines? Have you backed up, booted into EFI boot, formatted and reinstalled from scratch? Did you even look at Activity Monitor or do a HW check to see what could be going on?

If you haven't done even the basic troubleshooting you can't say that Yosemite is the cause.

Anecdote: Many years ago I had a 12" PowerBook which I maxed out with 3rd-party RAM pretty much immediately after I bought it. It ran fine for over a year before the next version of Mac OS X arrived (Tiger, maybe?) Anyway, soon after that install I started getting odd glitches with the system which required restarts and eventually it got to the point of crashing on me. I tried everything, or so I thought. Being certain it was an issue with the OS or apps I formatted and reinstalled, with the plan to only slowly added apps. The issues started right away. I couldn't figure it out so I sent it to Apple who returned it with a fresh version of Mac OS X and the RAM removed, the minimum Apple RAM for that machine added in its stead, and the service notes saying it was an issue with the 3rd-party RAM. I bought new 3rd-party RAM and it worked fine. There is a lesson in there.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    My connections to the internet are quite slow under OS X 8.1.1 which uses WIFI, of course, on an early 2011 MBP. Good to know its not my older hardware.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    The other thing I wish they'd fix and it may not necessarily be an OS X issue, is Apple Remote Desktop. Without this, I cannot upgrade my work Mac to Yosemite so I'm still using Mavericks until its resolved. I actually wish they'd just rewrite the entire app. With every update it gets worse and worse.

Are you saying their expensive stand-alone app isn't compatible with Yosemite?

I do like that I no longer need to have GTalk and AIM accounts on my system so I can remote into other machines to help them out now that it's built into iMessages. The interface is much more like Apple's Remote Desktop app (which admittedly I haven't had to use in several years).
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I am still running 2GB RAM on my 2007 iMac and other than being sluggish at times it runs yosemite fine. 

• Reply 32 of 56
    I've had no Yosemite inspired problems on my iMac but on my MacBook Pro I keep getting a message saying that 'another device on the network is using the same address 192.168. etc' At one point I also had 4 instances of the MacBook showing in the 'Shared' category in Finder until a phone call to Apple support. Although this latter issue was resolved the Wi-Fi drop out and message has recurred. This is the first time that an OS Update has caused problems.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    john_l_uk wrote: »
    I've had no Yosemite inspired problems on my iMac but on my MacBook Pro I keep getting a message saying that 'another device on the network is using the same address 192.168. etc' At one point I also had 4 instances of the MacBook showing in the 'Shared' category in Finder until a phone call to Apple support. Although this latter issue was resolved the Wi-Fi drop out and message has recurred. This is the first time that an OS Update has caused problems.

IP address issues are rare on the device side if there is no static IP address being used. Have you tried restarting your router?
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc 

Somebody likes using fancy words.

• Reply 35 of 56
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Yosemite has been one big mess since it came out. Bluetooth issues, wifi issues, mail issues and the list goes on. Apple really needs to slow the releases for OS X versions down and take the intervening time to get the release as polished as it can be rather than releasing beta-versions once-per-year and calling them Golden Masters.

so how have these free OS versions damaged you?

meanwhile, Windows ain't free -- from cost or bugs.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    It's iOS that really needs a lot of work. And iCloud Drive.

iOS has iCloud drive. your apps can be written to browse it when working with files. I have some today that do this.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    level1807 wrote: »
    Haha! You can't sell "rock solid" one year after it's been released. So, I'm afraid, they will always try to cram new features and pseudo-features into the OS, and inevitably bring in a pile of bugs.
    But a "fix it all" release is really needed.

what's a pseudo-feature?
  • Reply 38 of 56

yes, because they have meanings...
  • Reply 39 of 56
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

Quote:

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc 

I believe the Romans were particularly fond of them...

• Reply 40 of 56

I agree with some of the comments here - Yosemite has, by far, been one of the most stable OS X releases ever...absolutely nothing to report apart from the Wi-Fi issue (in my wife's MBP) that was fixed under x.x.1. Everything is working pretty smoothly here.

On the other hand, the latest Safari update (now pulled by Apple) seems to have screwed up badly stability-wise; hopefully they will relaunch it ASAP.