Canadian government details antitrust charges against Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I just don't understand why the government has to butt in and protect me as a consumer in these cases.  Hey guess what? I wanted the iPhone and I paid a premium to get it!  What is this Android's new attempt to try to compete with Apple?

Look, if I want to pay more as a consumer for a product that I'm going to use and that lasts and provides a better user experience, than I damn well want that product at the price it's offered.  I don't need the government protecting me like a little child. Knock it off.  I paid $700 for the first iPhone when it first came out and I loved it.  I gladly paid the data package because it was great to have that little phone.  It changed my life.  Same with iBooks.  I wanted to pay a premium for the better quality and experience. Period.

So shut up and let us spend our money.  Find another way to make yourselves useful.

• Reply 22 of 48
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    If the Canadian government wants to have competition in the mobile handset market, they need to 1) make it illegal to sell locked phones and 2) prohibit mobile service contracts longer than 12 months.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Just because the govt is investigating the allegations, doesn't mean there will be any charges. They probably will come to the same conclusion we all have already: nothing to see here.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Just because the govt is investigating the allegations, doesn't mean there will be any charges. They probably will come to the same conclusion we all have already: nothing to see here.

Time to get back to the cheese curds, gravy and french fries... er, poutine

• Reply 25 of 48
    Specifically, the Canadian government's competition watchdog is attempting to determine whether or not Apple discourages its carrier partners from offering discounts or incentives to consumers for the purchase of competitive handsets, or in some cases preventing the carriers from offering competitive handsets outright. Additionally, the government believes Apple may have encouraged carriers to offer preferential service plan pricing to iPhone customers.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!

This is a bigger pile of HORSE SHIT than #bendgate was! I'm in Canada, and no matter which carrier you go to, EVERY storefront has SAMSUNG (with a smattering of LG and HTC) devices plastered all over the front and in-store displays, with iPhone's garnering only a small percentage of marketing and floor space!

The entire WORLD knows Canadians pay the highest cellular service fees of any industrialized country, and now the retards in the Conservative Government are trying to blame this on APPLE!?!?! OMFG!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!

This is a bigger pile of HORSE SHIT than #bendgate was! I'm in Canada, and no matter which carrier you go to, EVERY storefront has SAMSUNG (with a smattering of LG and HTC) devices plastered all over the front and in-store displays, with iPhone's garnering only a small percentage of marketing and floor space!

The entire WORLD knows Canadians pay the highest cellular service fees of any industrialized country, and now the retards in the Conservative Government are trying to blame this on APPLE!?!?! OMFG!!!

image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image

"Conservative" must mean something different in Canada versus in the US...

• Reply 27 of 48
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Very much so, yes.

• Reply 28 of 48

Unfortunately, yes... The Conservative moniker appears to related to the amount of brain cells they posses...
  • Reply 29 of 48

As a Canadian, there's only one thing to say........I'm sorry, please and thank-you

• Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Time to get back to the cheese curds, gravy and french fries... er, poutine

Ummmmmmmmmm.....did you check out the shirt this guy is wearing?

• Reply 31 of 48
    Someone at the competition Bureau is clearly getting a reach around. There isn't a single person in this country who owns a cell phone who hasn't seen clear evidence that all three major carriers are in bed together. It is one giant monopoly in the government is either looking the other way or under the blankets with them.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Dear Hosers,

APPLE IS NOT THE ONLY COMPANY IN YOUR COUNTRY THAT SELLS PHONES. IF CUSTOMERS HAD FOUND IT TOO EXPENSIVE, THEY WOULD HAVE PURCHASED SOMETHING ELSE FROM SOMEONE ELSE. ALL OF YOU NEED TO BE IMPRISONED FOR STUPIDITY.

Sincerely,

Aboutta Annexya

Wow.  Given that over-the-top response, I guess it was good weed today.  Relax TS, stop polishing your guns and go outside for a deep breath - and you don't need to shout with the capitals, we're not that far north.

As usual (and for you too), it's "The Telephone Company" and the ISPs that "give it to us" up here but we're still quite prepared to buy the superior products that Apple routinely delivers.

• Reply 33 of 48

Care to elucidate?

• Reply 34 of 48
    Originally Posted by Sumergo View Post

Wow.  Given that over-the-top response, I guess it was good weed today.  Relax TS, stop polishing your guns and go outside for a deep breath - and you don't need to shout with the capitals, we're not that far north.

Nah, when there’s injustice (the real kind), you get upset. When there’s illegal activity, you get upset. There’s no other acceptable course of action, particularly when said illegal activity comes from the very people elected (appointed, or, in some cases, blood-called) to protect you and uphold said laws.

There’s no such thing as too much righteous fury.

(and for you too), it’s “The Telephone Company” and the ISPs that "give it to us"... 

Makes my blood boil that no one has done anything about them here, either. Maybe when this case backfires and your telecoms are slapped down for their behavior we could use it at a flimsy case of precedent…

EDIT: Also, isn’t marijuana a depressant? Makes you mellow, not emotive, right? :p

• Reply 35 of 48
    slurpy wrote: »
    As Canadian- **** my government. Not only because of this, but because they're complete shit all around.

Must be something in the water.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    tulkas wrote: »
    "Additionally, the government believes Apple may have encouraged carriers to offer preferential service plan pricing to iPhone customers."

That's the part that really gets me and really shows they have no idea what they are talking about. Canadian carriers have, for year, had "iPhone" plans that were significantly higher than plans, with identical features, for non-iphones. If you wanted to but an iPhone from a carrier on contract, then you were required to take a plan that was, in some cases, 50% or more higher than if you bought any other phone. 

At best, I would believe that what Apple requested was that if flagship phones from companies X, Y and Z don't require these vastly more expensive plans, then neither should iPhones. The hope would have been that therefore iPhones no longer require uniquely more expensive plans, but the result was that X, Y and Z flagship phones ended up also requiring more expensive plans. That isn't Apple's fault. That is the fault of the Canadian carriers, who coincidently have the highest profit margins in the world. This is just their way of diverting attention from that and blaming anyone else for their high rates.
    Often the carriers have great packages that apply to all smartphones except iPhones. It is frustrating and I totally approve of government intervention.

If Apple has struck a deal with the carriers it is to screw the customers by insisting that the carriers charge higher package prices for iPhones than for competitors' phones against a cut of the profits.

Pretty sure that's not what this is about but it is the only way it makes sense.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

On a totally unrelated note it appears Ars has been hacked.

LOL. They'll probably put the hackers on a pedestal like they always do.

• Reply 38 of 48

Ummmmmmmmmm.....did you check out the shirt this guy is wearing?

Yes, but did you check out what he's "eating"? It's poutine, baby! And look at that face...Canadian!
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Yes, but did you check out what he's "eating"? It's poutine, baby! And look at that face...Canadian!

At first glance looked like A-Rod being force fed Peach Crumb Cake to me. No reason why.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

Our govt is shit, everyone knows that. Why not go after Bell, for example? or Rogers?