Work on Apple's new Union Square site begins as existing San Francisco store gets Winter Walk

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I often enjoy your articles, but when your typical curmudgeonly tone degrades into arrogance and pettiness, it only avoid being annoying or laughable when you write about something you know (at least) something about, or you at least have some valid point to make. In this case you have neither. All we can assume is that you're severely artistically challenged. And that's fine. Many people are.

But please don't pretend your personal limitations in knowledge, esthetics, history, taste, and now (apparently) gender bias are somehow universal truths that readers should accept as fact. 

I tried to make sense of what you wrote here but there's nothing but a nonsensical appeal to the crowd and a bunch of layers of inscrutable nonsense. What exactly is your opinion? That a privately owned, dowdy set of steps with an ugly fountain sitting on them shouldn't be moved? That people should care about an ugly fountain that nobody has really cared about in the shadow of the Hyatt for decades?  

When the best that can be said of a work of art is that it involved children and was created by a woman, I think that says something meaningful about the actual value of the work itself. The fact that you need to hurl a series of inarticulate insults in your ineffectual attempt to issue a differing opinion also says something is lacking in your opinion or your ability to express yourself. 

• Reply 22 of 25
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,104member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

When did you last experience NYC during Christmas - in the 1950s?

I live here and what I see are a few nicely decorated windows and tons of slow walking tourists who block the streets.    And idiot kids from New Jersey who dress in dirty Santa costumes and spend an entire day bar-hopping with the sole purpose of getting completely drunk and usually vomiting in the streets.    

And then I see (as almost everywhere in the U.S.) people obsessed with spending too much of their hard-earned cash (and that's if they're not going into debt) buying tons of Chinese and Indian-made stuff that they don't really need as shopping takes precedence over everything else.    You would think that Jesus was executed for spending too much time in a shopping mall.    

The big tree at Rockefeller Center is "pretty", but it's always bothered me a bit that we celebrate the holidays by killing a giant, live plant. 

On rare occasions we have a Xmas snow and that does make the streets pretty for about an hour or two before it turns filthy from pollution.   

I guess the only positive is that the tourists and the shopping help the economy somewhat and many retailers hire extra workers for the season. I was in a department store a few weeks ago (but not during the Black Friday weekend sales) and the stores already look like they were hit by a hurricane.    

What Xmas says to me is that the true religion of this country is Shopping, our bible comprises of documents listing sales and our commandments are to acquire as much crap as possible.   And our Crusade is to acquire that $275 55" HDTV or a below-cost X-Box or to be the first person to acquire the new Apple device.  And if we stomp over people in our quest to acquire that TV or game machine, that's okay, because the people on the floor are our martyrs.  

I remember the snowflake light show in Columbus Circle, around 2005. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen, and I can't imagine a city, at least in America, other than NY being able to pull that off. It was perfect. I've lived in SF and the public space leaves a lot to be desired- these things called "parklets" which are just reconfigured street parking spaces that are decorated with (seriously) dumpsters, shipping containers, and chain links. This "Winter Walk" reminds me of that- hokey as hell. 

• Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

I tried to make sense of what you wrote here but there's nothing but a nonsensical appeal to the crowd and a bunch of layers of inscrutable nonsense. What exactly is your opinion? 

Ah more bluster from you.

It's not surprising you couldn't make sense of my post— 1.) you don't realize you're out of your depth on this subject, 2.) your articles indicate you have some difficulty writing coherently, so possibly reading also give you some problems?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

What exactly is your opinion?

My opinion is, as Steve Jobs once said, "You don't know what you're talking about."

It's not a copper tub (it's a cast bronze sculptural fountain.)

It's not dirty (it has an applied patina.)

You calling it "folk art" etc. convinces nobody that it's worthless or non-art.

You say it's unremarkable, but as relatively unremarkable as it might be in the greater art world, It's still an important piece for the city of SanFrancisco and  it's far more remarkable than anything you have ever done or probably ever will do (certainly in the world of art.) My saying this is not an "inarticulate insult" it's just a fact. Few of us have the opportunity to do much that is recognized in the world. This fact is only insulting to you if you have deluded yourself into thinking you're way more important than you actually are.

Her work is collected by the Guggenheim, the Tate, and the Whitney. The Smithsonian considers this "dirty copper tub" remarkable enough enough to place it on a list of important public art in need of preservation. But  of course, in your arrogance, I suppose, you would call all of them "nonsensical," "appealing to the crowd" and "inscrutably nonsensical." [I guess you use "nonsensical" twice in the same sentence because you are so incredibly articulate?]

Quote:

When the best that can be said of a work of art is that it involved children and was created by a woman, I think that says something meaningful about the actual value of the work itself. 

Apparently that's the best you can say about it because that's all you can understand, which really goes to the point of my original post— "You don't know what you're talking about." I'll listen to people who know something (anything) about art before I consider your off the cuff pronouncements.

Quote:

The fact that you need to hurl a series of inarticulate insults in your ineffectual attempt to issue a differing opinion also says something is lacking in your opinion or your ability to express yourself. 

Don't try to deflect the issue. It's you who insulted the artwork and the artist. It's always people who have created little of note themselves who who feel comfortable insulting the work of others who have taken a risk and created something. What have you created for San Francisco? What qualifies you to judge the value of Asawa's work? Take this as an insult if you want, but I'm just curious about what you think makes your opinion about this piece and the artist so accurate, valuable, and informed? Why are you so much smarter than experts at the Guggenheim, et al.?

• Reply 24 of 25
    desuserign wrote: »
    Ah more bluster from you.
    It's not surprising you couldn't make sense of my post— 1.) you don't realize you're out of your depth on this subject, 2.) your articles indicate you have some difficulty writing coherently, so possibly reading also give you some problems?
    My opinion is, as Steve Jobs once said, "You don't know what you're talking about."
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">It's not a copper tub (it's a cast bronze sculptural fountain.)</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">It's not dirty (it has an applied patina.)</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">You calling it "folk art" etc. convinces nobody that it's worthless or non-art.</span>

You say it's unremarkable, but as relatively unremarkable as it might be in the greater art world, It's still an important piece for the city of SanFrancisco and  it's far more remarkable than anything you have ever done or probably ever will do (certainly in the world of art.) My saying this is not an "inarticulate insult" it's just a fact. Few of us have the opportunity to do much that is recognized in the world. This fact is only insulting to you if you have deluded yourself into thinking you're way more important than you actually are.

Her work is collected by the Guggenheim, the Tate, and the Whitney. The Smithsonian considers this "dirty copper tub" remarkable enough enough to place it on a list of important public art in need of preservation. But  of course, in your arrogance, I suppose, you would call all of them "nonsensical," "appealing to the crowd" and "inscrutably nonsensical."

Apparently that's the best you can say about it because that's all you can understand, which really goes to the point of my original post— "You don't know what you're talking about." I'll listen to people who know something (anything) about art before I consider your off the cuff pronouncements.

Don't try to deflect the issue. It's you who insulted the artwork and the artist. It's always people who have created little of note themselves who who feel comfortable insulting the work of others who have taken a risk and created something. What have you created for San Francisco? What qualifies you to judge the value of Asawa's work? Take this as an insult if you want, but I'm just curious about what you think makes your opinion about this piece and the artist so accurate, valuable, and informed? Why are you so much smarter than experts at the Guggenheim, et al.?

In DED's defense, art appreciation is personal and taste is relative. That the Guggenheim finds it valuable is irrelevant. I find it repulsive, yet have a lifetime of appreciation for art of all kinds, including (but not limited to) Dada, Art Brut, folk art, found art, conceptual, performance and naive styles.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I remember the snowflake light show in Columbus Circle, around 2005. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen, and I can't imagine a city, at least in America, other than NY being able to pull that off. It was perfect. I've lived in SF and the public space leaves a lot to be desired- these things called "parklets" which are just reconfigured street parking spaces that are decorated with (seriously) dumpsters, shipping containers, and chain links. This "Winter Walk" reminds me of that- hokey as hell. 

Your description of the parklets sounds a lot like Highline Park.