Led by Whole Foods shoppers, Apple Pay accounted for 1% of digital payment dollars in November

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Then again, Tallest Skil has done the same.  TS claims that he never made such a post, which is a lie (unless his account had been hacked), but the more important fact is that he currently claims that he is not here to troll.  I'm a believer that one can change their ways, but actions certainly speak louder then words. 

Why not keep your delusional psychoses to yourself, please.

• Reply 22 of 53
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I would love to use my iPhone for all my in store transactions. Unfortunately, I just don't shop at many places where it is accepted. When I am in RiteAid or Best Buy, I make a point to initiate an ApplePay transaction. They are always denied, but I imagine if there are enough, they might notice.
    I also make it a point to educate the sales person if it isn't busy. They often say something like "yeah, iPhones don't work here." I make sure to let them know it is their store and not the phone that is at fault...
  • Reply 23 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

1% may seem like a small percentage, but it's actually pretty fucking impressive for the 1st month, especially when counting all retail transactions in the US. 

• Reply 24 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

One would expect Apple customers to punch well above their weight, so the 1% in the States I imagine to be much less than 1% of the population.

If they rolled it out with the aggression that Apple used to have, I would have thought they might make it to 1% globally. With their current intermittent rollouts, I'm not so sure. Thinking of iTunes Radio here.

Apple can't force people to upgrade to the 6/6+. Apple also can't build 30 MM iPhones per month.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    I'm thinking the PayPal payments include payments for physical goods with e-commerce web or app front ends eg. Deliveries. Hopefully Apple pay transactions through apps are also included, if this is the case.

On the subject of international rollout, iTunes Radio doesn't bode well, but it is limited by the licensing idiocy of labels much as Apple TV development has been hindered by the channels, studios and other funding and licensing bodies. Apple pay has the card companies to deal with, but they seem to be playing ball a lot faster than the entertainment companies, so there is definitely hope.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    It came out today that Staples was hacked. Apple Pay cannot roll out fast enough.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If they get to 1% of the world's payments by next autumn, I’ll be impressed. That was the goal that Jobs set himself and Apple for the iPhone, and which he handily beat.

1% in the States? Not so much.

NFC payments are already accepted practice in Europe, Australia, and Japan.   In fact, you can use US Credit cards for Apple Pay in Europe and Australia.   The only hold up to Apple Pay domination is the participation of banks and credit card companies in Europe.

In the US, Apple doesn't have to advertise Apple Pay.  The bank such as Wells Fargo and Bank of America are doing strong work in advertising Apple Pay for their own cards.  

Since the Banks themselves are advising their customers to use Apple Pay - not any other NFC payment system - domination is inevitable by Apple.

• Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It came out today that Staples was hacked. Apple Pay cannot roll out fast enough.

Apple Pay totally protects you the consumer from fraud and hacks.

• Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple can't force people to upgrade to the 6/6+. Apple also can't build 30 MM iPhones per month.

Apple doesn't have to force people to upgrade.  People will LUST FOR and WILL WILLINGLY PAY FOR THE MOST EXPENSIVE iPhone they can get.  Apple simply builds the best product it can and sales enormously follow.

30-MILLION a month = 360 MILLION IPHONES in 1 year.  Wow!  

I bet Apple will break that mark.  The new iPhones are just TOO FANTASTIC to pass up. The iPhone 6 and 6+ are THE MOTHER OF ALL UPGRADES.

• Reply 30 of 53
    All UK retailers have the kit, heavily used on London buses and London Underground. We will storm this please get it over here. Fab technology.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    It took a bit of work and a few calls, but I finally added my First Tennessee debit card to my ApplePay account. I can't quit using it, and as I finish up my Christmas shopping today, I will find a way to use it everywhere I can!

Not that this adds much to the discussion. Just noting that even as ApplePay moves beyond the top 10 US banks towards the top 50, many people who might not have been able to use the service before now can. As more people see others using it, they will be interested enough to give it a try, and pretty soon it will be a self-sustaining tool.

I bought supper at McDonalds and the cashier said she loved watching people use their phone to pay and wanted to try it as soon as her bank would let her. The associates at my local Walgreens have went from only watching me use ApplePay to using it them selves. That 1% will exponentially expand very quickly!
  • Reply 32 of 53
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    kevliu1980 wrote: »
    What exactly is covered under "digital commerce"? Clearly not e-commerce in general since PayPal has a pretty small overall market share (something like 10% I think). So if PayPal has 78% of "digital commerce", I'm guessing it's some reference to mobile checkouts, maybe even to non-traditional checkout methods, and some small subset of broader e-commerce.
    I'm stymied by this too. Target will currently only accept ?Pay online. And since that's where PayPay is most commonly used, I have to assume all of that is included in these figures. I downloaded the PayPal app since I don't have an iPhone 6, and wanted a mobile payment method ... But I can't figure out how to use it, and there seems to be a lack of merchants who accept it. So if they are counting brick and mortar POST payments, I can only imagine this is a small percentage. I don't know anyone who's ever used it.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    He certainly has his trigger topics, which Tim Cook, the larger iPhone, and ?Watch are all part of, but i don't think for a second he's making them up so he troll threads. I believe he feels strongly about his negative positions on those subjects. I think I've been clear that I feel his positions are either morally wrong or just plain stupid, but I don't think he's trolling. In fact, the only argumentative issue I see in this thread is you calling him a troll instead of referring to his comment as trollish.

If I thought he were only "morally wrong or just plain stupid," I would ignore him, like I try to do with others I disagree with here.

But I see a pattern of deliberate provocation behind his apparent immoral and plainly stupid posts. Frost's response to Rogifan is the worst post i've seen in four years of hanging out here, from 11/13/14:
    Rogifan
    As I said in an earlier post Apple is reporting the watch in an "other" category along with ?TV and accessories. The fact they're not reporting it on its own out of the gate gives a good indication what their initial sales expectations are.
    Benjamin Frost
    Indeed.

It shows that Cook has no balls, and has so little faith in the Apple Watch that he doesn't dare disclose sales figures because he knows they will be too low.

In contrast, Jobs put his neck on the line and predicted that Apple would sell at least 10 million iPhones in its first year. So it did, and more.

Cook's weaselly excuse is that he doesn't want to give competitors an advantage by disclosing sales figures. It didn't exactly hurt the iPhone or iPad, though, did it?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/183399/apple-watch-chip-suppliers-rumored-to-start-production-soon-orders-at-30m-to-40m-units/80#post_2639076

"Cook's weaselly excuse," for example. Are these the words of an ordinary just plain stupid person? No, I think they exhibit a cunning meanness of purpose against the civil discourse here.

Admittedly, he causes me and a few others to try to uncivilly slap him down in return, starting with calling him out as a troll and going on from there.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    jameskatt2 wrote: »

I take it you may not understand written colloquial English?

The point being that if Apple Pay had already been in place, the Staples hack would have been essentially harmless.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    flaneur wrote: »
    "Cook's weaselly excuse," for example. Are these the words of an ordinary just plain stupid person? No, I think they exhibit a cunning meanness of purpose against the civil discourse here.

Admittedly, he causes me and a few others to try to uncivilly slap him down in return, starting with calling him out as a troll and going on from there.

1) I think he believes that about Cook.

2) His anti-Cook comment may be rooted in Cook's homosexuality and/or he's simply not coping with Jobs death well (as I've seen with other people that honestly feel Apple is no longer Apple without Jobs). It's certainly not because Cook is more weasally than Jobs. Cook is one of the most candid CEO I've heard (T-Mobile US CEO John J. Legere tops that list). Jobs doesn't even come close, but that's probably because he's a showman. Jobs was certainly direct and forceful but he was always using misdirects and was certainly not the most moral person by my measure. I believe both want the same from Apple but if I had to put my trust in either person to do the right thing it would be Cook… and, yet, I'd want to meet Jobs before Cook.

3) You made another personal attack by calling him a stupid person. We all make stupid comments and stupid decisions. That doesn't make us stupid people (or it makes us all stupid people).
  • Reply 36 of 53
    jameskatt2 wrote: »

Most banks protect you as well. That isn't the issue outside of having to get a new card.

Apple Pay is really about protecting businesses and banks from fraud, especially fraud scams. And selling hardware.

And re: this research, it was done via a sampling, the nature of which is kept secret. So who knows how valid the numbers are
  • Reply 37 of 53

Staples has been officially supporting Apple Pay for the last month. But as not everyone has an iPhone 6/6+ there were still plenty of potential victims. As there will be at Whole Foods etc
  • Reply 38 of 53
    slurpy wrote: »
    1% may seem like a small percentage, but it's actually pretty fucking impressive for the 1st month, especially when counting all retail transactions in the US. 

Thus doesn't represent 1% of all retail transactions. It's 1% of digital payments which wouldn't include traditional cash or credit card transactions.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) I think he believes that about Cook.

2) His anti-Cook comment may be rooted in Cook's homosexuality and/or he's simply not coping with Jobs death well (as I've seen with other people that honestly feel Apple is no longer Apple without Jobs). It's certainly not because Cook is more weasally than Jobs. Cook is one of the most candid CEO I've heard (T-Mobile US CEO John J. Legere tops that list). Jobs doesn't even come close, but that's probably because he's a showman. Jobs was certainly direct and forceful but he was always using misdirects and was certainly not the most moral person by my measure. I believe both want the same from Apple but if I had to put my trust in either person to do the right thing it would be Cook… and, yet, I'd want to meet Jobs before Cook.

3) You made another personal attack by calling him a stupid person. We all make stupid comments and stupid decisions. That doesn't make us stupid people (or it makes us all stupid people).

Your second point is correct. I absent-mindedly slid from your "his positions are" stupid to my loose association of his remarks with his intelligence. Guilty as charged.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    I'm in and out of Sydney Australia this year. A few months back merchants were forced to stop accepting Card With Signature transactions from locals. For the most part international travelers using non-Aussie banks could continue with this transaction type.

Good thing, too. Chase Sapphire hasn't got a chip n pin offering. USAA has a chip n pin card that can be special ordered but using it results in foreign transaction fees. Some retailers like the IGA grocery chain have been rejecting US swipe and sign cards as corporate policy (unconfirmed). Supposedly the greater security risk results in higher merchant transaction fees.

So on this visit I have the 6 Plus with me. Chase, USAA (debt and credit), and Amex cards have all been configured in Apple Pay.

Only the Chase card gets used due to zero fees and travel points. Paying with AP is a novelty here as most clerks have never seen it in action. Using it for most everything is working out very well.

In a restaurant the waiter will often bring a portable pin pad that has a swipe reader, a chip reader (dip card in the slot) and often a tap to pay or PayPass contactless solution. These Eftpos machines, with only one exception so far, are ready for AP. No pin required so the checkout process is easy.

A caveat about the iPhone wallet cases you might be eyeing. Storing your contactless payment and metro cards with the iPhone will confuse many of the payment and toll readers you encounter. Even if you have the cards in a different wallet but have the phone and wallet in the same hand you could end up with 'multiple cards presented' errors.

Oddly the Sydney metro system sells smartphone cases that include a slot for their Opal card. They suggest turning off NFC radios in your phone to avoid problems at the ticket readers. As if that is a solution. Perhaps Opal will eventually support ApplePay.

So far the most unexpected place that accepted AP was a dodgy looking tire inflation machine in Texas. I was very glad to not be hunting for quarters or exposing payment info by swiping a card.