New Microsoft site targets users looking to switch from MacBook to Surface Pro

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

LOL.  Windows phones?  Tell me, where?  I've never seen one used by a real person.  I kid you not.  Ditto on the Surface.  

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/windows-phone-grows-104-percent-year-over-year-in-q4-2013-abi-research-478672

It's doing well in developing countries, and it's posting steady growth in mature markets.  4% worldwide, which is decent, three times as many as Blackberry.  Not close to iOS of course, and a world away from Android, but not at all insignificant.  Also note that about 90% of Windows phones are Nokia models, so Microsoft are now at almost the same numbers for manufacturer marketshare.

Not a runaway success, not currently a threat to Apple, and still a lot for Microsoft to do, but far from "doomed".

Surface, well that's a bit less clear cut because Microsoft are spending a lot of money to gain a foothold, but revenues are up and they're proving that they can sell them competently (not like the first year where they had to write a load off).  Marketshare estimates are somewhere between 4 and 6% (difficult because they don't announce numbers, just revenue, and there's a big price gap between the cheapest and most expensive Surface) and rising.  

So again, not a runaway success, not currently a threat to Apple, and still a lot for Microsoft to do (not least to transition from aggressive entry to profit generation), but far from "doomed".

If sales were stagnant then there would be cause for concern, but they are not, all figures are up, and up by big proportions.  So Microsoft are doing fine in these areas that aren't even their main markets.

Repeat:  Not a runaway success, not currently a threat to Apple, and still a lot for Microsoft to do, but far from "doomed".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It's easy to outsell zero units. Haha. MS can only go up from where they are in terms of mobile unit sales.

So could Apple in 2007, so what's your point? The numbers point to solid, sustainable growth.

• Reply 44 of 60
  • Reply 45 of 60
    agramonte wrote: »
    It is simple - if you talented and know how to draw get a surface pro... If you untalented and can't draw get any other laptop. If you do any drawing what so ever there is nothing like a SP. 

Argramonte is the simple one. Who buys a laptop to draw on. I draw on paper. If you're clueless and stupid you buy a Turdface.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

Nope. The numbers you provide are uncertain and are for inventory shipped in to channel which has little to do with share, sales and any kind of sustainable business.

There are sales numbers in there, but even if what you say were true, "uncertain" is a far cry from "doomed".

Honestly, if anyone says "Apple are doomed" then they get resoundingly mocked.  Microsoft are still hugely profitable and have hand in many expanding businesses and future technologies.  They're about as far from doomed as it's possible to be.

• Reply 47 of 60
  • Reply 48 of 60
    dklebedev wrote: »
    1. Those are shipments which magically turn to sales and back.
    Evidence for that, or just wild speculation?

Shipments are up. If sales aren't up too then I'll agree with you, Microsoft are doing something very wrong. But I see no proof of that, and I give Microsoft credit for not being crazy.

2. Of course you'll get mocked cause Apple is huge success in like almost everything.
    Microsoft are pretty damn successful too, and they have a finger in more pies than Apple.
    3. You don't understand MS business looking forward or just making bold claims. Microsoft is getting ransacked in it's traditionally strong markets and is scrambling to become relevant again. I'm actually interested what are those expanding business. Future technologies not so much because it's not sustainable business.
    I don't understand Microsoft's business and yet you don't know what it's expanding businesses are? How does that work?

To whit:
    - windows phone, software and hardware, both expanding businesses.
    - Surface, revenue substantially up, so an expanding business.
    - Cloud services with Azure, an expanding business.
    - professional and business services through Dynamics and other enterprise products, expanding businesses.

Xbox and music I don't know about, maybe they're expanding too.

They might not have such a clear vision in the consumer space, but it's settling down and they're not "scrambling" at all. They have challenges and competitors and some products still require significant development, but they're nowhere near anything approaching "doomed".

Show me a profit warning. Hell, show me a profit dip of note that sustains over more than one quarter. Microsoft's revenues are among the highest they've ever had, and both revenue and profits are for the most part stable. They have a strong release cycle and roadmap that they are consistently hitting, and they're successfully shifting their business from their old cash cows into a modern service-orientated model, bolstered by their own hardware and software products. They're doing just great, and they're doing it without egregiously copying anyone either.

So doomed? Wish I was that doomed.
  • Reply 49 of 60

Wow, I can't believe I'm reading this. 

It's like 1997 with Apple and MS reversed. Maybe I have the year wrong, maybe it's like all those past years up until 2010 reversed. 

Give it a few quarters and we'll know how MS is doing with their Surface stuff. Just as Crowley said.  Also- keep in mind that Crowley is in the UK so seeing more MS phones than we see in the states might just be the way it is there. 

What I don't get is how MS's hardware partners feel about MS doing hardware. Just like the Google stuff and their partners. Having hardware products that run the software you're selling to other hardware manufacturers seems like a poke in the eye. 

• Reply 50 of 60
  • Reply 51 of 60
    sdw2001 wrote: »
    LOL.  Windows phones?  Tell me, where?  I've never seen one used by a real person.  I kid you not.  Ditto on the Surface.  

I think Crowley lives somewhere in India.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Edit: Here, even snatched up a screenshot for ya.

But it's easy enough to find just by scrolling down to the virus-related question.

Wow, wow. Thanks for the screenshot, Xian. I stand corrected. That's the first time I've heard/seen Microsoft bold enough to claim that.

Of course, there is some careful terminology that any AI reader would be able to see through. This is more like "you don't need to buy it cause we'll give it to you" not "oh, you don't really need it." And while it is true any computer can get malware, Mac OS X is still years ahead of Windows.

• Reply 53 of 60
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick LeSwunder View Post

Argramonte is the simple one. Who buys a laptop to draw on. I draw on paper. If you're clueless and stupid you buy a Turdface.

Your joking right, there is an absolutely enormous amount of artists using their notebooks to draw on, what year do you think this is. Though I have and immensely enjoy my Surface Pro 3 I think the new Lenovo Helix 2 has it beat, better battery, better pen (uses a Wacom), lighter, when attached to it's keyboard it feels like a real laptop and it contains another battery in the keyboard itself extending battery life to a little more than 12 hours.

• Reply 54 of 60
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    Edit: Here, even snatched up a screenshot for ya.

But it's easy enough to find just by scrolling down to the virus-related question.
    Wow, wow. Thanks for the screenshot, Xian. I stand corrected. That's the first time I've heard/seen Microsoft bold enough to claim that.

Of course, there is some careful terminology that any AI reader would be able to see through. This is more like "you don't need to buy it cause we'll give it to you" not "oh, you don't really need it." And while it is true any computer can get malware, Mac OS X is still years ahead of Windows.

If you think that's bold, check out this article where they state that anyone who has used IE10 would switch over from an iPad to a MS tablet in a heartbeat:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/A/9/0A984E7B-D553-4BF1-8C27-9217A3F6DC6F/MozaicGroupReport.pdf
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think Crowley lives somewhere in India.

Nope.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/01/windows-phone-now-has-10-per-cent-market-share-in-the-uk/

• Reply 56 of 60

Windows mobile is actually gaining popularity in most European countries, I still carry a Nokia 1020 but I'm also getting very impatient waiting for a new version.  Microsoft has stalled to a crawl in releasing newer versions of their flagship phones, the last being almost a year ago with the release of the Nokia 930 and Nokia 1520. 

• Reply 57 of 60
  • Reply 58 of 60
    relic wrote: »
    crowley wrote: »
    Windows mobile is actually gaining popularity in most European countries, I still carry a Nokia 1020 but I'm also getting very impatient waiting for a new version.  Microsoft has stalled to a crawl in releasing newer versions of their flagship phones, the last being almost a year ago with the release of the Nokia 930 and Nokia 1520. 

Curb your curiosity and be happy with what you've got. ????
  • Reply 59 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You do know who your talking to right? I'm watching the Interview right now, funny movie.

• Reply 60 of 60
    relic wrote: »
    You do know who your talking to right? I'm watching the Interview right now, funny movie.

I thought you might enjoy being given advice that would make you cringe in horror. ????