Apple's rumored 12" MacBook Air may aggressively target mobility with USB 3.1 Type-C

Comments

• Reply 60 of 227
    Interesting speculation. Apple has spent a lot on promoting Thunderbolt. Don't tell me they're ready to ditch it like FireWire.
  • Reply 62 of 227
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Interesting speculation. Apple has spent a lot on promoting Thunderbolt. Don't tell me they're ready to ditch it like FireWire.

It’s an infinitely superior format. I’m still mystified why more companies haven’t used it.

• Reply 63 of 227

What will be a big selling point for me is a SIM card slot in the MBA. The WiFi signals at most commercial locations in my area are close to useless; not a fan of the USB stick or the WiFi base station options either, I'd rather have a built in SIM please.

• Reply 64 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Maybe they're not ditching Thunderbolt altogether.  Could be 12" MBA gets USB Type-C / USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt gets reserved for the rMBP.

• Reply 65 of 227
    I don't believe Kuo.
  • Reply 66 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

If they did have a dock/hub I'd probably sell my Apple stock.

Because while the Duo concept was cool, I don't want Apple to return to that era...

The DuoDock is the best Apple product I've ever owned. Besides, what has an era gotta do with a device? With that logic Apple is still stuck in that era because they're making laptops, and all-in-one desktops.

• Reply 67 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IanRid View Post

Where does my USB memory stick go?

Nowhere; it seems like a big failure is coming up - but not as much "fail" as the Apple Watch, of course.

• Reply 68 of 227
    freediverx wrote: »
    If you honestly think that this is Apple's prime motivation then you haven't the slightest understanding of the company. The reasons behind Apple's success defy and contradict much of what is taught in today's MBA diploma mills. This is why Wall Street has had such a rocky relationship with the company - they detest that their methods cannot be boiled down to simplistic, predictable, and easily reproducible profit making formulas.

I don't believe that they only try to make money using this method, I simply said that this is a way for them to make more money. If I were in any business I would want to save myself money in every way possible. Not many people may think of this way and people like yourself may like to defend otherwise. It does make a difference when you have millions of units and you can cut the shipping cost down by 10-20%. They make money from every single angle of their business. Nor did I say that this is their primary motivation for making products lighter and smaller. It is just one of the ways that they can make themselves millions more dollars. Thank you very much for telling me my knowledge of business, or lack there of for that matter. I said that I didn't work for the company and that it was just a hunch.
  • Reply 69 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't believe Kuo.

Denial is the first stage of grief.

• Reply 70 of 227
    So ... how would you click and drag? Or is there already an alternative with gestures I missed?

Three-finger-drag man! Get with the times! Seriously, once you get used to it you never go back...
  • Reply 71 of 227
    It’s an infinitely superior format. I’m still mystified why more companies haven’t used it.
    It's because, even four years after its launch, it still comes at prices that would make FireWire feel embarrassed.
  • Reply 72 of 227
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    He's not talking about feedback.
    freediverx wrote: »
    He's not talking about feedback he's talking about pressing the trackpad as opposed to tapping or clicking it and the computer being able to distinguish but that's only needed for touch screens. Personally I much prefer clicking over tapping a trackpad.
  • Reply 73 of 227
    So taking the MBA, reducing its size, removing expensive thunderbolt connector, reducing other connector count. Let's also drop the expensive Intel CPU and in with the A8X or A9, OS X or iOS. I imagine battery life would be pretty good. 4GB ram with a 256GB SSD. Let pricing start at $700.
  • Reply 74 of 227

In regards to magsafe, Apple could do something like this for the rMBA. (copyright GagdetCanadaV2. Willing to sell patent to Apple for $1 billion :)

• Reply 75 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

In regards to magsafe, Apple could do something like this for the rMBA. (copyright GagdetCanadaV2. Willing to sell patent to Apple for $1 billion :)

That is the least 'Apple-y' thing I've ever seen!

• Reply 76 of 227

How about built-in induction charging hardware in the rMBA so you can have a charging mat on your work desk if you so wish. You can just take your rMBA at any time without disconnecting cables and it will be fully charged.

• Reply 77 of 227
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Removing ports and adding Retina will greater differentiate the MBA from the MBP line.

Probably something Apple wanted to do as the two have almost become indistinguishable.

The MBA would again be truly the 'ultra notebook' in the lineup.

However, the greater challenge might be how to stem the tide of people jumping onto cheap $300 Chromebooks.

You forgot the s/.   No?

• Reply 78 of 227
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

That is the least 'Apple-y' thing I've ever seen!

Funny how they did it, though.

Not to say that this is a good idea for the laptop. JUST PUT THREE THUNDERBOLT 3 PORTS ON IT AND CALL IT A DAY.

?Im still looking for an Apple Bluetooth Headset NIB somewhere. Kicking myself for not getting one when the first-gen was still on sale.

• Reply 79 of 227
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

USB 3.1 Type-C definitely seems like a well-designed port. Let's just hope they have truly future-proofed it so we're not going through this again in 5 years. The constant changing of ports is so wasteful.

One must wonder where Lightning fits in all of this. Will it remain a proprietary port on iOS devices? I suspect so, unless USB 3.0 has the same validation tech built into it.

• Reply 80 of 227
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

He's not talking about feedback.

He's not talking about feedback he's talking about pressing the trackpad as opposed to tapping or clicking it and the computer being able to distinguish but that's only needed for touch screens. Personally I much prefer clicking over tapping a trackpad.

Agreed. I hope the trackpad always has a tactile 'click' to it. I actually preferred the dedicated button below the trackpad. I quite often second-guess myself when clicking the trackpad these days.