Apple supplies first beta of iOS 8.3 to developers, issues 'noteworthy' update to Swift

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26

Amazingly, there's more than 1 new feature that they've introduced recently that doesn't work, or has so many bugs as to be unusable. 

• Reply 22 of 26
    8.2 is for WatchKit and 8.3 is for Swift changes. In software development terms, this is called branching. Totally normal.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I guess you didn't read the 9to5Mac article that said iOS 9 is supposed to be all about optimization and bug fixes.

And that's all great, but really we should't have to wait an entire version to get some the bugs fixed. There are a LOT , at least for Apple.

• Reply 24 of 26
    asdasd wrote: »
    Apple is not just updating the IDE here, it is actually updating the language to such and extent that it will break all existing projects -- to the extent they need to give a migration tool rather than just document the changes.

Its great that they are responding so fast and that Chris is in the dev forums. However it just shows how inaccurate a recent AI piece was.

In my testing, so far, there have been very few updates to the Swift Language. Most of the updates by the migration tool address the compiler targets and runtime.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    coolfish wrote: »
    Amazingly, there's more than 1 new feature that they've introduced recently that doesn't work, or has so many bugs as to be unusable. 

Please check to see if the new features you mention are addressed in 1.2 and list any that don't work.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

iOS upgrades are one-way, with a bridge returning you to past versions being burned behind it.

As well they should be. Fragmentation is not good for developers or users. In the more than 25 years I’ve been using Macs not once have I had a legitimate reason to downgrade. Of course research about software compatibility and hardware requirements helps a lot. So many just take a flying leap and then are outraged when they get bitten. They don’t have backups so downgrading becomes an impenetrable wall that increases the frustration. Same goes for iOS. 

If only my standards were as low as yours.