Apple has 'several hundred' workers designing new electric car, codenamed 'Titan' - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 186
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I don't buy that. So what the vehicle will only be targeted to soccer moms?

Well, you have to start somewhere and the SUV/minivan is a very popular chassis type. Note that Tesla Motors is hoping for big sales of its upcoming Model X SUV crossover.

Considering Apple's demographic, an SUV crossover would make the most sense as a starting spot for the initial model, far more sense than a two-seat roadster.

• Reply 22 of 186
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The iBall! Help...

• Reply 23 of 186

Man, you are really in the dark, man! Samsung has been making excellent cars for more than a decade!

They are competing with Hyundai/kia in Korea! Didn't you know that?

• Reply 24 of 186
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

If Apple can staff up for an automotive project, then they can staff up to work on the buggy iOS 8 and Yosemite releases.

• Reply 25 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Nope.

This is the WSJ reporting it. I'll take their word over yours

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Well, you have to start somewhere and the SUV/minivan is a very popular chassis type. Note that Tesla Motors is hoping for big sales of its upcoming Model X SUV crossover.

Considering Apple's demographic, an SUV crossover would make the most sense as a starting spot for the initial model, far more sense than a two-seat roadster.

"Considering Apple's demographic, an SUV crossover would make the most sense as a starting spot for the initial model,....."

Agreed.

• Reply 26 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If Apple can staff up for an automotive project, then they can staff up to work on the buggy iOS 8 and Yosemite releases.

And they intend to do that.  9to5mac had a good report on iOS 9, with one of the major tent pole features being, fixing bugs and improving stability / reliability.

• Reply 27 of 186
    cwscws Posts: 59member
    Man I hope this is not true. Worse than making TVs. They know nothing about this industry and the margins are bad.
  • Reply 28 of 186
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Why on earth would Apple make an SUV crossover? That makes absolutely no sense to me. I can't for a moment imagine that Apple's take on vehicular transportation will follow the established route. The SUV crossover is an North American 'thing'. Will the ?car be that? I hope not.

• Reply 29 of 186
    Originally Posted by cws View Post

…the margins are bad.

On cars? On cars?

Do you imagine Apple would let a car be sold by a third party?

• Reply 30 of 186
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobdylan View Post

The link won't work because of the four letter word that got censored in **** , but this fake Steve is too good and appropriate so I'll post it here :

So I know this is kind of sick but one thing I really like to do is screw around with car salesmen. Like I’ll be bored or something or just driving up the highway and I’ll see a car lot and I’ll say to myself, Jobso, it’s go time. I do this a lot. I know. It’s fu***ng evil and I’m wasting their time. What can I tell you? It’s so easy. I mean they’re just sitting there waiting for you to come in and **** with them.

Little example. Yesterday I’m driving past Stevens Creek Toyota in San Jose and I can’t resist. It’s lunchtime, I’ve just smoked just a tiny bit of weed in my car and I don’t have any appointments until three. So in I go, trying to look a bit lost and daffy, like a bleeding swimmer drifting into a pool of sharks, and boom — like that, a dude named Hassan is all over me.

The manager gets all pissed but Hassan denies making any such promise. I say, No no no, you absolutely promised, and here’s the list on my piece of paper where he wrote down all the stuff he was going to throw in for free. Hassan is freaking out and denying up and down.

The manager says his price is just for the van and any extras will have to be negotiated separately. So I hand the paper back to him and I reach out like I’m going to shake his hand. But instead I go, Hey, pull my finger. He does. I fart. Then I thank him for an enjoyable forty-five minutes and walk out to my half million dollar Mercedes and drive away.

WTF, man. were you trying to hijack the thread of what? shorten the damn comment.

• Reply 31 of 186
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cws View Post

Man I hope this is not true. Worse than making TVs. They know nothing about this industry and the margins are bad.

This line has to be a fucking joke. Apple has attained all of its success by entering industries it knows nothing about and turning them upside down. 

But yeah, ok. You make it sound as if Tim Cook will build a car by itself. Clearly Apple will learn about the industry, by hiring the best experts in the field and doing millions of hrs of research and testing. It's not like the secrets of the car industry are hidden in some magic scroll somewhere. You sound just like all those other cocky, established companies (Blackberry anyone?) did when Apple entered their markets. 

• Reply 32 of 186
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

WTF, man. were you trying to hijack the thread of what? shorten the damn comment.

If you’ll read the one before it, he linked to a page but Huddler censors the F word so the link was broken. He posted the article here instead.

Strange that it censored “fucking” for him, because it doesn’t for me.

And of all the things. All other profanity is allowed but not fu?k.

• Reply 33 of 186
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    And not for private ownership. Odds are an urban ride share vehicle. The numbers showing younger people's disinterest in owning a private car will play right into this. You use Apple Pay to sign up for an AppleCar you pick up on an as needed basis from a charging station just like all the bike share systems.

So not a competition with existing car manufacturers, a replacement concept for a specific usage group: urban residents. Expanding the shared-use vehicle structure. Plus being electric there's a move at reducing city air pollution.

The target being that 79% of the American population that, even in 2000, lived in urban areas.
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/census_issues/
  • Reply 34 of 186
    cwscws Posts: 59member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

On cars? On cars?

Do you imagine Apple would let a car be sold by a third party?

Yes, the margins are terrible.  GM has an 8% gross margin.  Ford has a 12% gross margin.  Apple currently has a 39% gross margin.

• Reply 35 of 186
    cws wrote: »

Yes, the margins are terrible.  GM has an 8% gross margin.  Ford has a 12% gross margin.  Apple currently has a 39% gross margin.

It's the numbers. 39% on an iPhone is what, $250? 12% on a $50,000 car is $6000 or so. Investors would be fine with 12% of $50,000.
  • Reply 36 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It's the numbers. 39% on an iPhone is what, $250? 12% on a $50,000 car is $6000 or so. Investors would be fine with 12% of $50,000.

Given that Apple is an aspirational brand, you would probably need to know the margins that Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc., get on their vehicles to have a better understanding of what kind of margins Apple will be aiming for.

• Reply 37 of 186
    Will it have windows?
  • Reply 38 of 186

With so much cash available Apple should leapfrog this project and go straight into supplying spacecraft and spinoff technologies. It would go well with the new campus look too. Apple: A Space Odyssey.

• Reply 39 of 186
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    The electric car market is missing a replacement for Suv's which are relative gas guzzlers.

If someone replaces their toyota camry with an apple car, there would be limited environmental impact.

Sexy suv that uses half the gas? This would be the kind of thing that left wing apple management would eat up. They want to change the world, not just sell a sports car.

Crossover SUV would be my guess too if they do anything. My wife is loving her Audi Q5 crossover suv. Not too bad in almost any weather but not as bulky as a full SUV so more easy to battery power.
  • Reply 40 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

It was nice of you to show it to us a second time.