Rumor: Apple to add Touch ID to Retina MacBook Air as well as future Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Would've thought the power button would be the better place to put it.

I thought that initially but unlike an iPhone we don't hit the same button just to wake a laptop up from sleep (I tap the space bar) so having the TouchID more centered to where our fingers "want" to be has some logic.

• Reply 22 of 57

This sounds pretty cool, but I always felt they would just tap into the phone for this. It would be nice to have ApplePay work on a website and when it was time to pay, I just authenticate with my phone and it would transmit over Bluetooth or something. If they can make it work directly with the Mac though without the use of your phone, that would be even better.

• Reply 23 of 57
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

Fingerprints aren't currently protected by the Fifth Ammendment like passwords are.

The Fifth Amendment isn't a "law"...

• Reply 24 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I don't see them doing this at all. Would make much more sense to just use the Touch ID from an iOS device in order to authenticate, with bluetooth or wifi. More reason for a Mac owner to buy an iOS device, and vice versa, continuing the tradition of creating benefits to owning multiple Apple products. 

• Reply 25 of 57
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

So you accidentally press too hard and you shut off your computer?

• Reply 26 of 57
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Yes please!

• Reply 27 of 57
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

Fingerprints aren't currently protected by the Fifth Ammendment like passwords are.

The Fifth Amendment isn't a "law"...

Correct, it's a "Right"...

Several rights in one, actually.

But, as such, its provisions are the law of the land.

• Reply 28 of 57

You sound like you work for Microsoft.

• Reply 29 of 57
    crowley wrote: »

It would have been… when the Power Button was still on the metal casing but with Apple's eject button on the keyboard becoming obsolete when they removed their slot-loading ODDs, they moved the power button to that space. It's nice that it's saving some space but it's not as nice looking as the metal button once was. Although, I don't see why can't build it into a rectangle key that it smoked sapphire glass to match the rest of the keyboard look and feel.

mpantone wrote: »

Do you often evoke Siri when you are trying to use Touch ID to authenticate? I don't think I've ever done that, and don't think people do that unless they are simply unfamiliar with their new iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Quote:

How DO those millions of people using Touch id on an iPhone make it work??

• Reply 31 of 57
    Apple could make a stand alone chip, BUT currently the Touch ID Secure Enclave only resides inside of Apple's ARM based CPUs... ;-)
  • Reply 32 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mpantone wrote: »

See posts above. With TouchID you don't need to press at all, so no, that is very unlikely to happen.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

awesome. hate typing passwords

You still have to type to use the computer regardless.

• Reply 34 of 57
    Apple could make a stand alone chip, BUT currently the Touch ID Secure Enclave only resides inside of Apple's ARM based CPUs... ;-)

Remember when DED speculated about Apple replacing Nvidia and AMD graphics with Ax chip :D ;)
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yea! Not surprising at all. Exactly as I wished for (and quasi-predicted) a few months ago! (I remember being blown off by a bunch of curmudgeons/naysayers here....)

?This is the sort of thing that will make ApplePay HUGE. And take AAPL to the next level. 

No it's not. Did Touch ID implementation in iPad take AAPL to the next level? Nope, iPhone6/6+ did. Touch ID is for convenience for device access and security for online purchases for laptops. Unless, Apple can implement Touch ID in every apps the way that KeyChain works, it may make big impact. Otherwise, it's like in iPad Air 2/Mini 3.

• Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:

See posts above. With TouchID you don't need to press at all, so no, that is very unlikely to happen.

Yes it is. I accidentally pressed the Home button many times during Apple Pay and killed the transactions. It needs practices to make it work smoothly. I believe this will happen to laptop if it's implemented the same way.

• Reply 37 of 57
    crowley wrote: »
    I agree with you.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    I'll take several, one for each Mac in our household. I love TouchID on my iPad Air2. I never have owned an iPhone but Apple pay has me about convinced to buy one. With my 70 year old eyes, it will be a 6+.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I knew this was coming ApplePay for your computer for online purchases. People kept saying it did not make sense. It will be touch ID everywhere.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    maestro64 wrote: »
    I knew this was coming ApplePay for your computer for online purchases. People kept saying it did not make sense. It will be touch ID everywhere.

Don't conflate Touch ID with ?Pay. Only the NFC chip which has the Secure Element is required. Touch ID is merely a huge convenience for the end-to-end solution. In fact, your iCloud password,at the very minimum allowed, is considerably more secure than the 1:50000 Apple has assigned to Touch ID. For me, and for perhaps you, this would also apply to your Mac admin account password, which you could still use with ?Pay without having to use Touch ID, just like you can do on the iPhone and iPad today with only a 4-digit PIN.