Apple Pay drives in-app purchases for Staples, fails to catch on in stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared Porter View Post

I've randomly asked so many iPhone 6 and 6 owners I see around town (Seattle) if they have used Apple Pay. Most people I have asked have HEARD of Apple Pay vaguely, but have never used it and are not particularly aware of its benefits or where it is accepted. I realize a lot of banks are advertising Apple Pay (JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo, and B of A), but Apple needs to promote the brick and mortar retailers who participate.

I'm not sure Apple knows all the stores that have signed on with their banks... just some of the big names that got into the game early.

• Reply 22 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

It's not one of the top 3? I would be shocked if it beat cash, credit, and debit right out of the gate.

It will get there. The only iDevices that can do ?Pay have been on the market for only a few months (4). About half of those are outside the USA. It's amazing how incredible ?Pay is doing in spite of all that. Two years from now, when everyone's pre-iPhone 6 contracts have run out and Macs and iPad and ?Watch are taking ?Pay too, it will be the end of plastic as we know it...maybe even paper money.*

*If the federal government wanted to do something to help organized religion, they'd stop printing one dollar bills.

• Reply 23 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

You want to know why it hasn't caught on in-store? Because it's a pain in the ass. Staples still makes you sign for Apple Pay, which defeats a major point of using it in the first place. So I might as well just use a credit card, honestly.

Get rid of signatures, and your Apple Pay use will go up. McDonald's doesn't make me sign. Walgreens doesn't make me sign. Why does Staples?

Maybe staples still wants to make sure it's as magical as it is.  ;)

• Reply 24 of 64
    slurpy wrote: »
    What the **** are you even talking about? God, your trolling is so mind-numbing and tiresome on this forum. Your hatred of everything Apple is just pitiful. You must have some special deal with the mods, so that you continue to post here unfettered. 

Yeah, there has to be something like that going on. Looking back through some of his previous posts that haven't even been removed despite some of them being rather offensive.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    sflocal wrote: »

Mods... why haven't you banned this idiot yet?  This miscreant hijacks every single thread.
    He really seems to be in a trolling mood today. So many forum members have blocked his posts but it would be better for the whole AI community if he was banned.
    I have him on "ignore" too. I only see BF's moronic comments when someone quotes him in order to call him out for his stupidity.

So even with him on the ignore list then you would be subjected to almost every one of his posts.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

30% already...that's astounding.

In other news, 70% of in app purchases via staples own iOS app didn't use Apple Pay.  What percentage of total online purchases from Staples does this 30% represent?  I find it curious that Vemana is very quick to divulge detailed figures that are couched in terms that reflect positively on ?Pay, yet refuses to mention figures that are not flattering.

• Reply 27 of 64
    Start working at home with Google! It's by-far the best job I've had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this - 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go%uFEFF to tech tab for work detail

----------------------> http://www.jobsblaze.com
  • Reply 28 of 64

Start working at home with Google! It's by-far the best job I've had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this - 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go to tech tab for work detail

---------------------->WWW.JOBSblaze.COM

• Reply 29 of 64
    WWW.JOBSblaze.COM
  • Reply 30 of 64

WWW.JOBSblaze.COM

• Reply 31 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

In other news, 70% of in app purchases via staples own iOS app didn't use Apple Pay.  What percentage of total online purchases from Staples does this 30% represent?  I find it curious that Vemana is very quick to divulge detailed figures that are couched in terms that reflect positively on ?Pay, yet refuses to mention figures that are not flattering.

Only Iphone 6 users can do Apple pay, and there are only about 50M of them in the US right now. Apple has about a 45% share of all US phones, say 140M.

So, how are those non Iphone 6 users with the Stapple IOS app (about 70-75%) going to actually use Apple pay?

Seems everyone that can use Apple Pay with their Stapple app (Iphone 6 users), are doing so. That is a positive.

You are the one couching figures negatively through your comment, when there is none in the numbers; the bias is fully yours.

• Reply 32 of 64
    The amount of people complaining about the troll(s) is far more annoying than what the troll(s) trolled!
  • Reply 33 of 64
    macgizmo wrote: »
    The amount of people complaining about the troll(s) is far more annoying than what the troll(s) trolled!

Very droll.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Are cracks appearing in Apple Pay?
    No
  • Reply 35 of 64
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member

My Staples store has an overweight 60+ year old woman working the register who, when asked why they hadn't implemented Apple Pay yet more than a month after the announcement, made a comment to the effect of, what happens if my iPhone breaks or isn't with me, so I shouldn't rely on Apple Pay and should always carry my wallet. Really? So, this is who Staples wants to be working the front line to demonstrate how technologically up-with-the-times Staples is? I suspect this type of thing is not helping the in-store numbers.

• Reply 36 of 64
    I didn't even know Staples was doing ApplePay. And from the sounds of it, they're making the same mistake as Winn-Dixie and some others who make you answer a million questions, enter your PIN and get out your "loyalty" card. I JUST WANNA PRESS MY THUMB ON MY PHONE and be done with it. Is that too much to ask?

Apparently, it is, because these retailers won't accept Apple's idea of an anonymous, secure, encrypted payment. They STILL want to track your buying so they can target you.

I had to replace my debit card TWICE in 2014. Target and then Home Despot both got hacked and got my card info and PIN, and I've had enough of that!
  • Reply 37 of 64
    slurpy wrote: »
    Some posters (ie. the worst) seem to be immune to bans. The mods probably have a troll quota or something. 

Consider that trolls DO increase forum activity. More clicks are good for the fiscal health of the site, aren't they?

It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that certain trolls are actually authored by the site, for exactly that purpose, or maybe just for amusement's sake. (Nor would it affect my appreciation of AI in general... there's a lot of wheat here, if you can get past the chaff.)
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

In other news, with iOS and Android having an equal number of users, iOS users still accounted for 70% of sales.

Yet ANOTHER metric that shows iOS users spend more and do more with their devices than Android users.

• Reply 39 of 64
    used Apple Pay to pay for a tire at Pep Boys the other day and the cashier was shocked and yelled at with excitement "what did you do? How did you do it? Do you need to download an app?". And I told him that comes with the iPhone and he looked at his Android with disappointment.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    bbhbbh Posts: 134member

When the idiots insist on a signature, just brazenly sign "A Lincoln" or some such other. It tends to draw attention to how useless the signing is.