Google unveils 'Android Pay' mobile payments API to rival Apple Pay

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    No competitor seemed to care about mobile payments until Apple figured out how to make money off of them. Google typically pushes services that will enhance their data gathering while Apple pushes things that make money. Once Apple Pay got off the ground the others took notice. Happens all the time.

I don't think it's about money. Apple figured out a way to make it user friendly plus very secure, and people have adopted it rather quickly. Google had the right idea, but fumbled the ball with the implementation.
  • Reply 22 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pfisher wrote: »
    The typical Appleinsider forum blanket crapping on the competition.

Appleinsider typical comment synopsis:
    1. Apple is awesome and does no wrong
    2. Everyone else is crap and stupid

When Apple is wrong or not perfect: remain silent and pretend it didn't happen
    When competition is correct or does something good, remain silent or dismiss the competition as stupid/wrong/incompetent/inferior.

Have a nice day! (And Android suck in every way, didn't you know?)

You gotta admit that as of late Apple has been hitting it out of the park. At this point people will line up to buy Apple branded turds, and proudly proclaim "this shit is the shit" :lol:
  • Reply 23 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexclock View Post

What's next, Windows Pay?

I have been using Google Wallet for awhile now. 

• Reply 24 of 76
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

Come on everybody - Apple was the best and first to market [ - IN THE USA ONLY... ] - Mobile payments was always going to happen and with the infrastructure of contactless cards - already fairly pervasive in countries like the UK - it was only a matter of time. Indeed Google tried - and failed - with Google Wallet - but it's good they're now able to use the installed terminals.

We should be applauding Google - this can only increase adoption of terminals in small businesses - and as they're all the same compatible devices it helps us as iPhone/AppleWatch owners. They're also dong it properly with tokenisation - thanks to Visa and Mastercard etc - so where credit is due let's not just be "nah nah nah Apple did this first.." We're not 3 year old kids in a playground for heaven's sake.

Go away. The concern is not about Google having its own electronic wallet. Eventually, everyone and their grandmother will have one. What's pissing people here off is that Samsung named their service Samsung Pay and Google named their service Android Pay. There is a clear attempt to piggyback off the brand prestige of Apple Pay. They want consumers to think that Google Pay and Samsung Pay are the same thing as Apple Pay. So tell me, is XXXXX Pay the only way to brand an electronic wallet? Didn't think so. They're copyists, pure and simple.

• Reply 25 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

When competition is correct or does something good, remain silent or dismiss the competition as stupid/wrong/incompetent/inferior.

No one would care as much if those Android/Samsung services were not named XXXXX Pay. That is a ripoff designed to cause brand and functionality confusion and piggyback off Apple's marketing efforts. Several folks including yourself are poo poo-ing the blowback, but what do you think Google expected when they branded their service Android Pay? Why don't you address that aspect of it?

• Reply 26 of 76
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 234member

"Go away"... So charming, thanks.

I am not aware that Apple invented the word ?Pay in the transaction context - indeed Paypal, LoopPay, and others may have a problem with that, but hey.. 

I agree it's bit of a copy, but frankly does it really change the way Apple operates or how we use our iPhones?  No.  And I doubt we'll see Apple running to court over this (which they would have to do to protect their trademarks if they truly thought it was a threat)

• Reply 27 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Samsung Pay is supposed to be far better than ApplePay because they have a way to make it secure AND let it work at non-NFC terminals.

Sounds like a good thing for Samsung. That's a big deal. There are many stores that we shop that don't have NFC and don't plan to do so for the immediate future. The only thing I have found for NFC is a vending machine at work???

The operative phrase here is "supposed to be". Let's see how that pans out. And "far better"? That's laughable.

• Reply 28 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Google unveils 'Android Pay' mobile payments API[B][U] to try[/U][/B] to rival Apple Pay
  • Reply 29 of 76
    carthusia wrote: »

Go away. The concern is not about Google having its own electronic wallet. Eventually, everyone and their grandmother will have one. What's pissing people here off is that Samsung named their service Samsung Pay and Google named their service Google Pay. There is a clear attempt to piggyback off the brand prestige of Apple Pay. They want consumers to think that Google Pay and Samsung Pay are the same thing as Apple Pay. So tell me, is XXXXX Pay the only way to brand an electronic wallet? Didn't think so. They're copyists, pure and simple.

iThink you are correct.
  • Reply 30 of 76

Yup, we know. :smokey:
  • Reply 31 of 76
    Quote:

I am not aware that Apple invented the word ?Pay in the transaction context - indeed Paypal, LoopPay, and others may have a problem with that, but hey.. 

I agree it's bit of a copy, but frankly does it really change the way Apple operates or how we use our iPhones?  No.  And I doubt we'll see Apple running to court over this (which they would have to do to protect their trademarks if they truly thought it was a threat)

Reread your own charming second paragraph:

"They're also dong it properly with tokenisation - thanks to Visa and Mastercard etc - so where credit is due let's not just be "nah nah nah Apple did this first.." We're not 3 year old kids in a playground for heaven's sake."

I would not have had the response I had if you had not been so dismissive. There were passionate but rational criticisms of yet another perceived ripoff and you reduced it to a claim that others were acting like three year olds. Don't dish it if you can't take it.

Again, what do you have to say about the blatant branding ripoff?

• Reply 32 of 76
    Google: Where the eighth time's always a charm.

They had a good example to follow, [verb; to zune / keep throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks] AKA the Microsoft approach to development and marketing.
  • Reply 33 of 76
    Quote:

You're taking things out of context. Apple Pay debuts (after Google had their own brand-Google Wallet). Very shortly after Samsung and Google respond with new marketing efforts; "Hey let's call or Samsung Pay and Android Pay." And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Google and Samsung collaborated on that branding effort. Google/Android/Samsung customers continually dismiss the blatant copying. After a while there are massive credibility hits. It's really lame and really poor form.

• Reply 34 of 76
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 234member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Reread your own charming second paragraph:

"They're also dong it properly with tokenisation - thanks to Visa and Mastercard etc - so where credit is due let's not just be "nah nah nah Apple did this first.." We're not 3 year old kids in a playground for heaven's sake."

I would not have had the response I had if you had not been so dismissive. There were passionate but rational criticisms of yet another perceived ripoff and you reduced it to a claim that others were acting like three year olds. Don't dish it if you can't take it.

Again, what do you have to say about the blatant branding ripoff?

I was making the point, and I apologise if it wasn't clear, that we shouldn't be childish by contributing nothing to this planet but petty jabbing at Google (and Samsung). Re the coping of the name - I said it's a copy which isn't great ( but then again PayPal, Loop pay and others may well not be so happy with ?Pay if you really it's such a big problem). I also said I don't think it's a serious issue, and won't damage Apple in any measurable way. Sometimes you call a spade a spade. When you pay for something you can call it something to do with Pay and move on without having a hernia.

At the end of the day these technologies - tokenisation, NFC contactless solutions etc - are all being brought about with or without Apple, Google and Samsung. Contactless cards, fobs etc have been around for a while (at least outside the US). Apple is also arguably 'piggybacking' if we're going to play that game. But so they should. They've added considerable value with TouchID and a slick UX. perhaps - god forbid - google does something interesting which could prove helpful for all (like the API layer i gather they'v put out to provide a more open solution for China and other countries)

To be clear: I didn't mean to be dismissive - sorry if I was. I just find it utterly childish (and infuriating) to read endless comments which would deb better placed in a playground of an infant school. 

• Reply 35 of 76
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    smaceslin wrote: »
    Repeat this mantra:  Competition is good.  Now take a deep breath and remember that this forces innovation from everyone (including Apple).

Every time someone repeats this false statement I have to automatically assume they're either a moron or a fan of copycats.

REAL innovators do what they want and don't respond to competitors. There's a reason the rest copy the innovator. Apple didnt invent iPhone because of Blackberry etc.

Copycats do NOT force unnovation. And you have the nerve to put "Apple" in parenthesis as if they're just sitting back and waiting for competition before creating new ideas.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,327member
    They are starting to panic.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I don't think it's about money. Apple figured out a way to make it user friendly plus very secure, and people have adopted it rather quickly. Google had the right idea, but fumbled the ball with the implementation.

This is the fundamental difference between Apple and Google. Google comes from a generation of thinking that you try stuff out, see if it sticks, and iterate to improve. Apple is a bit more old school where it's about arriving the best solution before releasing it into the wild.

Arguments can be made for both approaches, but for something as important as financial payments and privacy concerns, I'll take the Apple way.

• Reply 38 of 76
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    hexclock wrote: »
    What's next, Windows Pay?

Maybe. I expect something to happen with WinPhone now that Apple has once again cleared the path for everyone else.

bolbolize wrote: »
    What a pathetic approach. Even the name!!!!!!

I see nothing pathetic about it following suit in the only logical way to move forward. Personally, I saw the ?Pay setup years ago but had no luck in explaining why I felt it was the only reasonable path forward. I couldn't even get people to see how near-field communication was better for mobile payments than using BT or WiFi with terminals. And then Apple finally does it, and its now obvious to everyone (except those that innately hate anything Apple touches), so it's only prudent they follow suit now that it's been spelled out for them with a shipping service with the backend with multinationals and banks having their backends rejiggered to support the only reasonable way forward. Are they playing catchup? Yes. Is this a good thing for everyone. YES.

wdowell wrote: »
    Mobile payments was always going to happen and with the infrastructure of contactless cards - already fairly pervasive in countries like the UK - it was only a matter of time.

Contactless cards ? mobile payments. Contactless cards don't really add to much security. They only make it harder to clone a card, but I don't think it's impossible to clone a chipped card.

Samsung Pay is supposed to be far better than ApplePay because they have a way to make it secure AND let it work at non-NFC terminals.

Sounds like a good thing for Samsung. That's a big deal. There are many stores that we shop that don't have NFC and don't plan to do so for the immediate future. The only thing I have found for NFC is a vending machine at work???

They do have a nice short-term solution with their LoopPay service while NFC-capable terminals aren't pervasive, but besides that it's just all the aspects of ?Pay that any one could've done years ago.

From my experience there are a lot more posters that are anti-Apple and won't give them credit for anything, than there are the very few posters that look at Apple through rose-coloured glasses.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Every time someone repeats this false statement I have to automatically assume they're either a moron or a fan of copycats.

REAL innovators do what they want and don't respond to competitors. There's a reason the rest copy the innovator. Apple didnt invent iPhone because of Blackberry etc.

Copycats do NOT force unnovation. And you have the nerve to put "Apple" in parenthesis as if they're just sitting back and waiting for competition before creating new ideas.

Sorry if I offended you.  But, I truly believe that without competition no manufacturer would go out of their way to innovate.  Yes even including Apple.  Now did Google and Samsung have to use 'similar' names?  No.  They were certainly hanging onto the coattails of Apple.  But, this too can be a good thing.  It keeps Apple pushing forward.  I prefer Apple products and believe they are superior to other brands.  But they need to keep 'pushing the envelope' to stay relevant and at the top.

• Reply 40 of 76
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    smaceslin wrote: »
    Repeat this mantra:  Competition is good.  Now take a deep breath and remember that this forces innovation from everyone (including Apple).

Not this statement again. Competion is always good but everyone else seems to follow Apple. Apple shouldn't be the world's R&D department. It's frakking shameless that these competitors ape the Apple naming conventions.