IDC: Apple's iPad shipments could shrink to 60M in 2015 amid slow-growing tablet market

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Maybe because potential iPad Mini buyers bought iPhone 6+ instead?

Probably, but enough to make such a big impact?
  • Reply 22 of 35
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Just get a real true full computer: MacBook Air.

• Reply 23 of 35
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You are absolutely CRAZY.

Apple is not getting rid of the 6+ in order to get more iPad sales.

If they did get rid of the 6+ there would be more iPadmini sales not iPad sales.

Do you know how many iPadMini's Apple needs to sell to make the same profit as a single 6+?

FOUR.  You would have to sell FOUR iPadMini's to make the same profit as a single 6+

6+, Watch, iPad 12 inch, to me would be the best combination.  Who the hell has room to put an iPad in their pocket?

Right now I have a 6+ and Air.  I'm looking forward to getting the Watch and then the 12 inch iPad.

Yes, it is in line with the "Subtracting" metaphor that the article highlights: The iPhone 6+ is merging the iPhone with the iPad mini. Hence its success.

The ? watch will be a success as well once people realise it makes their phone less prominent. The watch will free you from having to take your phone out of the pocket.

With the 6+ cannibalizing the iPad mini, the 12 inch iPad (with optional stylus) is indeed the only way to make the iPad relevant again. I can see the 12 inch iPad cannibalizing the 11 inch Macbook air. Certainly among creatives.

• Reply 24 of 35
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Well said... You reflect my sentiments....

You forget your troll sentiments carries zero value to everyone...

• Reply 25 of 35
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Do you know how many iPadMini's Apple needs to sell to make the same profit as a single 6+?

FOUR.  You would have to sell FOUR iPadMini's to make the same profit as a single 6+

Actually, doesn't it even out? You need to buy an iPad mini AND iPhone, instead of just a 6+.

The profits will be fairly similar, if not better:

iPhone 6 + iPad mini versus iPhone 6+ only.

• Reply 26 of 35

IDC reports are worth-less. Looks like their sugar daddies (Microsoft and Intel) must have stop paying them. Just today IDC reported that there is a drop of 4.9% of PC Sales in coming year. Maybe Microsoft and Intel must woken up and decided to use the money for a better use.

• Reply 27 of 35
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Actually, doesn't it even out? You need to buy an iPad mini AND iPhone, instead of just a 6+.

The profits will be fairly similar, if not better:

iPhone 6 + iPad mini versus iPhone 6+ only.

My take is, everyone gets an iPhone then the iPad and AppleWatch are add-ons.  More money to be made...and maybe one day get something in the Macbook line.

• Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Quote:

So why were they so successful selling the 5C, 5S, 6, and 6+ this holiday season?  

Would not FOCUS mean just 1 phone with 1 screen size instead of 3 screen sizes and 4 models?

Such is the Curious Case of Apple ...

I disagree with the author of the article as the ? watch is actually also subtracting something, the iPhone. This is why Apple is having such a hard time communicating the watch as it will make the iPhone less prominent. It's like admitting that the iPhone can be some kind of annoyance.

I still believe Apple should make the iPhone smaller - something inbetween 3.5 and 4 inch - if they want to make the iPad popular again. "Continuity" will transform your iPad (mini) into a bigger screen iPhone. You just keep your iPhone mini in the bag.

If Apple is serious about the iPad and Continuity, then they should ditch their iPhone 6+ aka the iPad killer.

Agreed.

The 6+ should go.

• Reply 29 of 35
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    In reality sales have tapered because they got so much right with the 2-3 generation iPads that there is little incentive to upgrade.

The primary reason I sold my iPad 3 and bought an Air 2 was the weight/form factor. The processor bump was just a bonus.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Apple sold 21 million iPads last quarter... which is down from a year ago.

But with people saying they are keeping their existing iPads for many years... would that mean the majority of those 21 million iPads were sold to new users? That's still pretty good, right?

It's true that iPads last a loooong time. So even if you do upgrade you'll likely hand your old iPad down to another family member and keep it in service.

In short... the number of iPads in use keep growing... which means developers have a larger audience to sell apps to.

Even if Apple sold ZERO iPads in a quarter... there are still a couple hundred million of them in use.

While I'd love to see iPad sales grow forever... I know that's impossible.

But 60 million iPads in 2015 is still pretty amazing for what some people believe is an "expensive" and "non-essential" device.

The fun thing that those bozo analysts don't realize is that Ipads tend to LAST and have an halo effect on sales. An Ipad user will have a tendency to by an Iphone. Doubt that's true for people who own trash $80 tablets.

• Reply 31 of 35
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

ah yes, once again IDC predicts that magical growth for MS' market share will eat away at Apple's.

just like Windows phone has done.

• Reply 32 of 35
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    Quote:

Right now I have a 6+ and Air.  I'm looking forward to getting the Watch and then the 12 inch iPad.

I think the rumors of an 12 inch iPad were dis-information to throw people off the 12 inch Mac Book.   Seems like last year we were going to get it in this Spring.   Now they are saying fall.  It would be like they are copying the Surface Pro and I don't think apple will go there.   Instead Apple is going to integrate the force touch technology into the iPhones, iPads, and an expanding MacBook line.

• Reply 33 of 35
    k2kw wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »

I think the rumors of an 12 inch iPad were dis-information to throw people off the 12 inch Mac Book.   Seems like last year we were going to get it in this Spring.   Now they are saying fall.  It would be like they are copying the Surface Pro and I don't think apple will go there.   Instead Apple is going to integrate the force touch technology into the iPhones, iPads, and an expanding MacBook line.

I wonder what they'll do this year for the iPhone. Just make it quicker, I suppose. Now they've done the bigger size, there's nothing much left. Better camera, more sensors, optical zoom would all be nice, but niche.

The one thing I want is better battery life, like, 20 hours browsing on LTE.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    The fun thing that those bozo analysts don't realize is that Ipads tend to LAST and have an halo effect on sales. An Ipad user will have a tendency to by an Iphone. Doubt that's true for people who own trash $80 tablets.
    Of course not but that logic doesn't make any sense, now those who payed the same amount for an Android tablet as an iPad, defiantly have them for a while. I still have and use a 4 year old Asus Tranformer SL101 (running Android 5.1.0), still a fantastic device for document creation, especially now that Office for Android has been released.

asus-tablet-slider-sl101.jpg